Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risotto?

Options
  • 01-10-2014 7:17pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I've just started trying to make this. I really love it but man is it laborious to make! Maybe I'm doing it wrong but it takes about 45 minutes - maybe more! I'm wondering if there is any quicker way to make it? How do they do it in restaurants etc?

I'm just doing basic recipe right now, oil, butter, garlic, spring onions, arborio rice, stock - and then a bit of veg & chicken or chorizo. Can anyone point me in the right direction of some good recipes?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

It usually takes me 20-25 minutes, 45 seems a lot to cook rice.

Anyway, Mushroom Risotto is a classic.

use normal mushrooms from the shop, and rehydrate some dried porcini in the stock you are using - use beef stock for this one.

A bit of sage offsets the mushroom lovely too.

fry off a finely chopped onion and some garlic in olive oil on a low heat until soft
    add the rice and stir it so the oil coats it, then cook it for a few minutes
    start adding the stock, on the second ladle throw in the mushrooms
    before the last stock addition, add in some grated parmesan, the sage and some cracked black pepper
    when the rice is al dente add some creme fraiche and stir it through
    serve with more parm on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/10/the-food-lab-the-science-of-risotto.html

I can't post a proper link as on phone but the above article is very good reading for anyone into risotto.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Don't shoot me !!- but when I'm short off hands on time i pop it in the oven, works out really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Pressure cooker (if you have one )

I use this recipe as a basis: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/pressurecookerrisott_76891

Instead of Mascarpone I use garlic and chive cream cheese. At the moment we like to stir in fried chorizo and butternut cubes and defrosted petit pois. I also double the quantity amd use basil instead of parsley.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

You may need to turn your cooker up slightly... After the sweating off of aromats and rice, it should take about 25-30 mins.

I've been making perfect risotto for 16 years, 10 of which as a professional chef.

My favourite recipes are Marcella Hazan ( her Cookbook taught me how to make it and its origins as a peasant dish - a use up whatever is in your fridge dish) and Jamie Oliver's risotto recipes from his first book or two back in 2002 or so.

Good luck in your cooking and never forget that the most important part of risotto is after you take it off the heat. Add in Parmesan and butter, stir and leave for a full 5 minutes to let the risotto relax and absorb the cheese n butter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/10/the-food-lab-the-science-of-risotto.html

I can't post a proper link as on phone but the above article is very good reading for anyone into risotto.

That's a pretty interesting article actually. I'm going to try that next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

foodaholic wrote: »
    Don't shoot me !!- but when I'm short off hands on time i pop it in the oven, works out really well.

I have a lovely oven baked risotto recipe and it always turns out perfectly! I use carnaroli rice. http://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/food/recipes/2011/0928/1012-oven-baked-sausage-and-tomato-risotto/

For the more traditional stirred risotto I use this recipe http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/7744/wild-mushroom-chicken-and-bacon-risotto and it never fails, again I use carnaroli.

I'd say you're just not cooking at a high enough temp if it's taking 45mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,135 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Always start my risottos with a white mire poix (diced onion, white leek, and celery) and always finish with marcepone (sp) and butter. Like a carbonara, cream should never go near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine. Instead of the first ladel of stock.

Also, 45 mins is way too long. It should be bubbling a bit while cooking, but nowhere near boiling.

I make mine with procuitto in with the onions, then peas for the last 2-3 mins and then lashings of parmasean.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I guess the real connoisseur of risotto will be able to tell the difference between one that is done "correctly" (adding everything at the right time, stiring at the right time, releasing the flavors by stiring it viciously at the right time, locking in the flavors by adding butter and oil at the right time.... and so on and so on) and the entire process is probably time consuming.

I am far from a connoisseur however and I can barely tell the difference between a risotto that has been prepared with all the loving care of adherence to tradition.... and one slapped together with enough resource investment to simply make sure it does not dry up, burn, and stick to the pan :)

One recipe I use often for Tomato and Chirizo risotto for example simply has you throw 1 can of tomatoes with 2 of that can of water into a pan to heat up. While in another pan heating onion and chopped up chirizo until onion becomes translucent. All of this takes 5 or 6 minutes.

Stir risotto into the sausage, bash it about for a minute, throw in a mini bottle of white wine, bash it about for 2 minutes more. Then start adding the tomato goo about half a can worth at a time and stirring until much of it is absorbed before adding the next.

When done stir in fresh leaf spinach with Parmesan and butter until they both melt into the whole mix, and serve.

Whole process barely takes 25 minutes and I have not had a complaint about it :) The original recipe does suggest salt at the onion adding stage, but with the amount of salty flavor in the sausage and the cheese, I never do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Have a look at the Jamie does Venice episode. He does a risotto blanco and works from there with other flavours. And you'll probably want to go to Italy after that episode, like I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amklo

Melendez wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Then drink the rest of the bottle! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I love risotto ever since I had it in a restaurant years ago, it was a chicken and cajun risotto. Tried it myself once and it was nice but not as nice as the restaurant one. So for those wanting ideas, chicken, cajun spice, parmesan, arborio rice, chicken stock, all hot and creamy, and lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I love risotto. Mushrooms, bacon and chicken for me and parmesan on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Sounds weird but chorizo, pea and mint risotto is really good. Peas in towards the end and fresh chopped mint and lemon juice to finish.

It's one of these ones that you just have to try. I didn't like the sound of it but it is really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

This Jamie Oliver tip really helps with the creaminess: at end of cooking stir in a knob of butter and parmesan, then take off heat, put on lid and leave rest for a few minutes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm not crazy about risotto myself, but this Clodagh McKenna one looks nice

http://www.clodaghmckenna.com/home/recipes/?id=102

Advertisement