Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postgraduate Courses in Education

Options
  • 08-08-2014 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi folks. Just wondering there are any postgrad courses that people would recommend in the stated area? I have looked at one in UL (Grad Dip in Ed leadership) but it doesn't seem to be running at the minute. I've also looked at an Open University course.

But it's hard to beat a good recommendation from someone who may have completed the course recently, or perhaps who may know of another that is starting up soon?

GRMA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

OU is good course, do it at your leisure....

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭kronsich

I did Toraiocht, just graduated. Did it in NUI Maynooth and really enjoyed it. Past students have gotten posts and deputy jobs apparently. They run it in centres around the country. One year and only a few essays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

What is the difference between studying the Post grad mentioned above and doing a masters in terms of both the difference in qualifications and the benefits of both in career progression (is the post grad really worth anything)?

Once you have your formal education qualification, anything after that is a bonus to getting the cv in order. An MEd in leadership or one of the lds programmes are great stepping stones. Having said that, posts aren't as attractive as they were because there are less in schools and you will be assigned work unlike older days......

so should someone come to you for a job with a post grad mentioned above would you take that as good as the masters in ed leadership or what?

• Advertisement

Depends who is interviewing, the nuim part gives it credibility. Once the course isn't a 1 weekend type of course.....

it does seem that the words diploma or masters is mentioned though as opposed to just a course...

thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

TheDriver wrote: »
    Depends who is interviewing, the nuim part gives it credibility. Once the course isn't a 1 weekend type of course.....

it does seem that the words diploma or masters is mentioned though as opposed to just a course...

I considered applying the NUIM Diploma in Ed Leadership programme this year but changed my mind. Am still interested though. I'm teaching 8 years and still not CID. Would the course have mostly people with a lot more experience, DPs etc doing it?

I have two postgrads now and no masters.

I have heard that interview panels for deputy principal do hold masters in high regard. I just haven't the head for a big thesis so the 8000 words required for the postgrad is my limit.

I'd advise the med in educational leadership in trinity or nuim

Try the MEd with OU, no mad thesis and consistent level of work.
    if its just teaching jobs. I wouldn't worry about these courses, its more for posts or DP\P. However if you want to up your promotional chances, get involved in other educational areas for the CV.

• Advertisement

What do you mean about other educational areas or are you referring to the courses discussed

seavill wrote: »
    What do you mean about other educational areas or are you referring to the courses discussed

What other educational areas do ya mean? Extracurricular in school? Unions or professional bodies?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

I did a diploma in Adolescent Counselling by distance learning three years ago. Its was just a project and a few essays and four onsite days over the year and then a final exam. I was hired in my current school for having it along with my masters but management thought that was more useful just because of the school in question. It has really come in handy- for the coming year the principal gave resource hours to me specifically just to meet students who have issues or need emotional support.

maybe that route?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Pinkycharm wrote: »
    I did a diploma in Adolescent Counselling by distance learning three years ago. Its was just a project and a few essays and four onsite days over the year and then a final exam. I was hired in my current school for having it along with my masters but management thought that was more useful just because of the school in question. It has really come in handy- for the coming year the principal gave resource hours to me specifically just to meet students who have issues or need emotional support.

maybe that route?

Can you give some details of this course, it sounds interesting. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Hi folks. Just wondering there are any postgrad courses that people would recommend in the stated area? I have looked at one in UL (Grad Dip in Ed leadership) but it doesn't seem to be running at the minute. I've also looked at an Open University course.

But it's hard to beat a good recommendation from someone who may have completed the course recently, or perhaps who may know of another that is starting up soon?

GRMA

The closing date for this course has passed, but if they have availability on it they will accept late applicants I believe.

https://www.nuim.ie/study-maynooth/postgraduate-studies/courses/postgraduate-diploma-educational-leadership

I meant things like being in other organisations in a position to show your skills as a leader and ability to manage situations

• Registered Users Posts: 38 grainneg

Does anyone know anything about the ucd diploma in educational leadership? It's a one year diploma and optional 2 year masters programme. The ucd diploma seems to be worth 30 credits as opposed to the Tóraíocht course which is 60 credits. Unfortunately the Tóraíocht course seems to be full for this year. I would like to do a course this year with a view to gaining an a post or dp/p post down the line. Does anyone know if the ucd diploma would stand to me as much as the Tóraíocht course on a cv or at interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭chases0102

Hi everyone,

Roughly how much are these Post Grad/ MED courses?

The OU costs about 7000 sterling but qualifies for teacher refund scheme and gives ceet/diploma/MEd as years progress

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

The POSTGRADUATE DIPLOMA IN EDUCATIONAL LEADERSHIP costs €2100. It also qualifies for teacher refund scheme afaik, but I've no idea how much that equates to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭chases0102

Cheers to both of ye!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 babybaby2014

Are these courses of any addition when doing interviews?

Advertisement