Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Civil Defence to assist Gardaí

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Oh man... this has come a long long way from Tallaght. If we found ourselves in a without rule of law situation, where mad max style bandits terrorised the suburbs, then yes, Im sure the army would be rolled out and rightly so.

But thats not what this thread is about and were really getting into some Walter Mitty territory. The Army have no place trying to be police. The police have no place trying to be the Army and George Clooney had no place trying to be Batman. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

bravestar wrote: »
    Oh man... this has come a long long way from Tallaght. If we found ourselves in a without rule of law situation, where mad max style bandits terrorised the suburbs, then yes, Im sure the army would be rolled out and rightly so.

But thats not what this thread is about and were really getting into some Walter Mitty territory. The Army have no place trying to be police. The police have no place trying to be the Army and George Clooney had no place trying to be Batman. :rolleyes:

Yea ben afleck will be much better.

But back to the civil defence, for some issues i think having volinteers on the ground might help but where criminal matters are no they are not trained. Emergency issues like sever weather and food or fuel shortages but not crime fighting let them stick to their job.

SNAKEDOC wrote: »
    Yea ben afleck will be much better.

But back to the civil defence, for some issues i think having volinteers on the ground might help but where criminal matters are no they are not trained. Emergency issues like sever weather and food or fuel shortages but not crime fighting let them stick to their job.

Couldn't agree more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

Couldn't agree more :)

EVEN ABOUT BEN AFLECK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

wexfjord wrote: »

I fail to see the relevance of this. The army assisting at a static post is hardly policing... As I have said before, there are a lot of posts the army should do and that would free up more actual members to police the streets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

I fail to see the relevance of this. The army assisting at a static post is hardly policing... As I have said before, there are a lot of posts the army should do and that would free up more actual members to police the streets.

I'm quite sure its no less relevant than the other off topic posts. Back on topic, i would like to state that in my opinion Civil Defence have no role in policing, the army on the other hand may in certain situations have a role in assisting gardai. Tallaght would not be one of those situations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

I assume this judge means that CD would provide their welfare bus to help the Gardai stay refreshed during bigger incidents.

Anything else would just serve to highlight a shocking level of ignorance and un-education within our judiciary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Zambia wrote: »
    Once all the hand to hand combat is over are the army going to take on the process of charging , bailing, brief of evidence , court appearances , trials giving evidence and all the other things due process involves?

No, we can do nothing more than a citizens arrest.

Some mad, lunatic posts in this thread re the DF and AGS from people who obviously have no idea about the job of either.

Trained to kill etc, lol.. We're no more allowed to kill anyone than any other man or woman on the street, be they DF, AGS or ordinary members of the public.. In certain circumstances we can use varying levels of force from weight of numbers (in controlling an individual/group of individuals) to firing ball ammunition as a warning to containing shots to lethal force ~ just the same as an armed guard.

Putting soldiers on the streets (and ATCP) for obvious reasons I can not comment on this, and I won't be drawn to comment either, but some people are very, very naive to think we're not there 24/7... Have you even been on an EOD call out for example.

Soldiers patrolling the streets of Dublin, Cork, Limerick etc ain't ever going to happen outside of a total breakdown in law and order.

But the men and women of our DF are very well trained, willing and motivated to answer the call whatever the circumstances may be to assist as an aid to the ATCP & ATCA's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Old diesel

This suggestion by the Judge reminds of that other awesome idea (im been sarcastic) that some genius of a councillor somewhere in Co Kildare came up with.

Said ingenious idea involved St John Ambulance/Order of Malta type organisation dealing with people who get injured while drunk in his particular town in Co Kildare.

Obviously - the PROPER solution to that councillors issue in Co Kildare would be more HSE Paramedics/Advanced Paramedics on the road.

Just as the solution to the issue the judge ALLEGES is happening in Tallagh - isn't civil defence - its properly resourcing the men and women of An Garda Siochana - and having more of them trained up in Templemore and on the streets.

Unfortunately the general theme we have here - is that in Ireland there seems to be a complete allergy to resourcing things correctly - so we are short Gardaí - and we are short Ambulance resources.

There also seems to be a culture in Ireland of the "volunteer" - hence the civil defence idea rather than the Judge calling for more Gardaí.

Anyway apologies of that came across as a rant or poorly thought out

Advertisement