Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rubbish, Damage and Holes in the road

Options
  • 15-03-2010 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭

Just an obsevation but I've driven a lot of the main roads round the East coast recently and there is a noticable lack of maintenance going on.

The verges on the M2 ( Ashbourne / Slane / Derry Rd ) are strewn with rubbish and the greenery dosent look like its been cut back in years.

The surface on the M1 ( Belfast ) is lifting everywhere, there's not 200 metres pass without seeing a wound on the road and the second lare of tar being exposed. Its also strew with rubbish.

The M4 West, M7 Naas and the M50-M11 past Bray are also badly littered.

All of the above roads have various un-reapaired signs and safety barriers etc and there really does seem to be a lack of up keep of the network in general.

I find it embarrasing that if someone arrives in this country to Dublin airport , the first thing they're going find as they hit the motorway network is a nation of careless and filthy people because thats what it looks like. Its like 20 years ago all over again and I havent even mentioned the back roads, some of which on my journey home from work look like they've been mortar bombed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I've noticed the exact same thing along the M4 and also on the M6, they are both badly littered, reminds me of the 1980's all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's the same old, same old story ... whilst the country seems to have gotten (slightly) better at building new stuff in recent years, it seems utterly incapable of a) actually finishing it off properly and b) maintaining it afterwards. It's as if the project is built, well at least 99% built, then everyone loses interest after that and it's off to the next one.

Advertisement