Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Hide (chat thread)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

TopTec wrote: »
    Woud be nice to see the pics if you can post them half cocked. I have a den near me too but no film of them yet.

TT

It's 2 short video clips - not sure how to post them.

Plus - what it's carrying in one clip might cause some consternation in certain quarters if you know what I mean.

What's the story with all the stories on the radio bout pine Martin's attacking people/cornering people in sheds???

Silly season crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Sky full of Swallows here this evening; not on the move, just feeding.

Flying ants are out, 2 hawkers having a field day.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

Anybody know which bird (if it even is a bird and not some insect) that makes a single note high pitched call that lasts about a second and repeats every 2 seconds or so? The note drops slightly in pitch towards the end

stumped-thanks in advance

*edit, in woodland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Hotei

A Dunnock makes a high-pitched 'tseep' call.
    You can hear a Dunnock call on this link:

http://www.xeno-canto.org/319881

Thanks for reply-interesting......kinda close tho not long enough and doesnt drop towards the end hmmmmm

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,175 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we seem to be well into 'hedgehog roadkill season'.
    an unusual amount of roadkill spotted today around north county dublin; rats, foxes, about five hedgehogs, and a grey squirrel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

For anybody that is interested giving two talks for Irish Wildlife Trust Galway and Laois/Offaly on my Corncrake project. Tullamore 20th October and Galway 2nd November.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

where in Galway?

where in Galway?
    No place booked as of yet.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/spider-feared-to-be-deadly-false-widow-found-at-irish-home-35076749.html

Looks like I missed my chance to be famous, I never told the Indo about the dozens of them living in my shed. I can confirm I haven't lost any limbs yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Great air battle today between a sparrowhawk and 2 magpies over the Dodder around Milltown. It went on for minutes, I had the sun in my back so great to watch.... But off course I had no camera...

And before and after that, numerous goldcrests, tits, 2 dippers and 2 kingfishers.

Over in Boora today and they've cleared a big tract of land of vegetation and ploughed it all up. Didn't see anyone around to ask - so pure speculation when I wonder are they going to put it to use for Corncrake conservation maybe?

IMG_20161010_165321.jpg

IMG_20161010_165513.jpg

Just to say, I headed over to Capercaillie's talk in Tullamore this evening; very enjoyable. Even having seen the photos he puts up here, I didn't appreciate just how much work he has put into the farm. Get along to the Galway talk if you can.
    For anybody that is interested giving two talks for Irish Wildlife Trust Galway and Laois/Offaly on my Corncrake project. Tullamore 20th October and Galway 2nd November.

whyulittle wrote: »
    Over in Boora today and they've cleared a big tract of land of vegetation and ploughed it all up. Didn't see anyone around to ask - so pure speculation when I wonder are they going to put it to use for Corncrake conservation maybe?

IMG_20161010_165321.jpg

IMG_20161010_165513.jpg

Top photo looks like it has been presprayed with round-up. They will probably be growing cover crop for partridge. No plans for any reintroductions of corncrake in midlands or anywhere in Ireland. NPWS have trialled rearing a couple of crex, but in reality 100's of birds would have to be reintroduced (No money)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

do we have dormice in ireland?

out of interest how many species of mice do we have?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

philstar wrote: »

Just House Mouse and Wood Mouse in Ireland.

1 species Hazel Dormouse, centered around Naas.

1 species Hazel Dormouse, centered around Naas.

I forgot about that. 2012/2013 only. There's thought to be as few as 15 of them, I think.

Not native and a quandary when one is caught as it should not be released again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

how about field mouse? or is that the same as a house mouse?

how about field mouse? or is that the same as a house mouse?

What people here call the field mouse is the Wood Mouse, or Long Tailed Field Mouse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,349 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Found this fella this morning. I never saw a red grasshopper before.
    I assume that it is in fact a grasshopper.

• Advertisement

Base price wrote: »
    Found this fella this morning. I never saw a red grasshopper before.
    I assume that it is in fact a grasshopper.

It's a very unusual variation of the Meadow Grasshopper. Rarely seen.

It's a very unusual variation of the Meadow Grasshopper. Rarely seen.
    He was on the bottom of my patio door frame. There is a wisteria and climbing hydrangea just around the corner growing on the gable of the house. He may live in amongst them. I think he is missing part of one of his hind legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭meolwan

2014-09-12 17.41.58.jpg

2014-09-12 17.41.52.jpg

This guy joined me while having a drink on holidays in Turkey anyone know what it is ?

meolwan wrote: »
    2014-09-12 17.41.58.jpg

2014-09-12 17.41.52.jpg

This guy joined me while having a drink on holidays in Turkey anyone know what it is ?
    Some type of Preying mantis

Yes, a Mantis.

• Advertisement

A new version of the BirdTrack app was released last month.

Some good improvements on it; easier to see and edit your current list, and you don't need to turn on GPS to select one of your previous sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

a climate change sceptic in the white house

bad news for the environment :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Hotei

fryup wrote: »
    a climate change sceptic in the white house

bad news for the environment :confused:

He has vowed to abolish the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Some type of Preying mantis
    Its actually spelled "Praying Mantis".
    I believe the Turkish type adopts a face-down prostate position for its praying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

There's a forestry plantation just behind my house and I'm being treated to the sight of flocks of thrushes, I think, flying into roost around 5pm for the past week. There'll be 20 minutes where flocks of between 10 and 30 fly overhead, coming in from the south and south east, skimming the hedges on their way in. Hard for me to calculate the numbers but it must be between 150 and 200 from what I've tried to count..could easily be more as they are quiet spread out coming in.Its an eerie enough sight as they don't make a sound passing over head. Nice to see though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Probably Fieldfare?

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/bird-and-wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/f/fieldfare/

Have them up here in Mayo and are usually mixed in with Starlings.

TT.

Quite a few bats around tonight, common pips I think. Sutton/Baldoyle area.

mr.wiggle wrote: »
    There's a forestry plantation just behind my house and I'm being treated to the sight of flocks of thrushes, I think, flying into roost around 5pm for the past week. There'll be 20 minutes where flocks of between 10 and 30 fly overhead, coming in from the south and south east, skimming the hedges on their way in. Hard for me to calculate the numbers but it must be between 150 and 200 from what I've tried to count..could easily be more as they are quiet spread out coming in.Its an eerie enough sight as they don't make a sound passing over head. Nice to see though.

Agree with other person,most likely fieldfares-seeing hundreds of them here in Donegal

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Saw my first adult male Hen Harrier this evening, having seen countless ringtails in the last three or four years! Stopped by a site that I know can be good for Short-eared Owls and ringtails at this time of year, and was delighted to see the unmistakable pale grey/blue of an adult male! I know there's regular turnover of birds at HH roosts, but when you're just seeing ringtails its often hard to confirm, so I'll be interested to see if that male is around next time I'm home!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭Bsal

Big increase in birds to the garden today most notably a Goldcrest lots of Starlings, Bluetits, Chaffinch, a Scandinavian looking male Blackbird :) and all the usual other suspects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

t3_5grgl6?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.statista.com%2Fgraphic%2F5%2F515464%2Fcat-ownership-european-union-eu-by-country.jpg&token=AQAAlwtHWAXMi5BXHftdPulzRGO1Z3IHrxD5TT_2_NSv4bxnR0AH&app_name=reddit.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Rosahane

People renting a house near us since the summer have three cats which have discovered that birds visit the feeders in our garden. No collars or bells of course.

We have chased them out a few times but I'm considering getting a cage trap and handing them over to the warden!

Rosahane wrote: »
    People renting a house near us since the summer have three cats which have discovered that birds visit the feeders in our garden. No collars or bells of course.

We have chased them out a few times but I'm considering getting a cage trap and handing them over to the warden!
    Are you allowed to legally trap them and can "the warden" remove them without the owners permission ?

Are you allowed to legally trap them and can "the warden" remove them without the owners permission ?

To be honest, I don't know.

My argument is that if they are in my garden without any identification they are feral. I don't know if the warden will held a similar view although I doubt it.

Unlike dogs, there seems to be little legislation dealing with cats - other than the cruelty to animals laws.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,175 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd say the warden wouldn't touch that with a bargepole, because if it became known that he dealt with cases of cats entering other peoples gardens, he'd be swamped by people doing it because of petty grievances etc.

that said, i do have sympathy with you - if a cat came into my garden and attacked a pet of mine, i am curious about what steps i'd be allowed take to defend my pet. so a cat coming in and attacking what is protected wildlife could be a grey area legally.
    one thing you could check if there's any cat charities in your area which have TNR arrangements with a local vet - i.e. if the cat is not neutered and has no ID on a collar or in a microchip, they trap it, neuter it, and release it.

i'd say the warden wouldn't touch that with a bargepole, because if it became known that he dealt with cases of cats entering other peoples gardens, he'd be swamped by people doing it because of petty grievances etc.

that said, i do have sympathy with you - if a cat came into my garden and attacked a pet of mine, i am curious about what steps i'd be allowed take to defend my pet. so a cat coming in and attacking what is protected wildlife could be a grey area legally.
    one thing you could check if there's any cat charities in your area which have TNR arrangements with a local vet - i.e. if the cat is not neutered and has no ID on a collar or in a microchip, they trap it, neuter it, and release it.
    Cats are not required to be neutered let alone have ID be it a microchip or collar although imo anyone putting a collar on a cat is endangering the cat. There is no Control of Cats Act. I agree that cats should be neutered and most responsible cat owners do have them done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Maybe try an intermediate solution; like an airgun or a catapult. A sting in the tail might dissuade them from hanging around.

Mod Edit: The above would be cruel and illegal. Do not under any circumstances resort to this.

recedite wrote: »
    Maybe try an intermediate solution; like an airgun or a catapult. A sting in the tail might dissuade them from hanging around.

That would, from what I read, leave me open to a charge of animal cruelty!

When I see the birds disappear from the feeders I let the lab out and they disappear pretty sharpish. He nearly got one last week. But obviously they see the opportunity to hunt outweighs the threat of the dog.

Cats are not required to be neutered let alone have ID be it a microchip or collar although imo anyone putting a collar on a cat is endangering the cat. There is no Control of Cats Act. I agree that cats should be neutered and most responsible cat owners do have them done.

Id imagine that is their owners attitude. They are well looked after cats.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

recedite wrote: »

Mod Note: Don't try anything of the sort! Any similar suggestions along these lines will result in a ban. Doing something like this would be both cruel and illegal.

Advertisement