Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front page of Irish Times today

Options
  • 10-08-2010 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

Has anyone seen the excellent photo on the front page of the Irish Times today?

It shows a kestrel carrying a rat - obviously just after catching it.

I didn't realise kestrels would take something as big as a rat, I thought it was mainly insects, frogs, mice, etc. In the actual photo the rat looks quite big proportionately to the kestrel. Is it possible that it was already dead or do kestrels prey on rats?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you can view the image by clicking on the paper in the link below.

http://irishtimes.newspaperdirect.com/epaper/viewer.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

megadodge wrote: »
    Has anyone seen the excellent photo on the front page of the Irish Times today?

It shows a kestrel carrying a rat - obviously just after catching it.

I didn't realise kestrels would take something as big as a rat, I thought it was mainly insects, frogs, mice, etc. In the actual photo the rat looks quite big proportionately to the kestrel. Is it possible that it was already dead or do kestrels prey on rats?

Kestrels will take small rats, especially if they have hungry young to feed. Looking at the pic, I'd say this was a smallish rat, kestrels are quite small too, I held one once.

Advertisement