Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead warbler?

Options
  • 03-08-2010 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

This bird ran in to our window this morning and I was wondering if someone here would identify it. I know it's some sort of warbler but don't know which one.

photo3jv.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

photo4jj.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

This bird ran in to our window this morning and I was wondering if someone here would identify it. I know it's some sort of warbler but don't know which one.

photo3jv.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

photo4jj.jpg

Hi thedarkroom,

It's a juvenile Willow Warbler, hatched this year (and obviously still had its 'L plates' on for flying!). The all yellow underside is a characteristic of the juveniles. Chiffchaffs look very similar, but would have dark legs, and a smaller darker beak, and I have never seen one that was as yellow as this.

Nice photos, pity about the bird.

LostCovey

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭thedarkroom

Thanks for that.
    I suspected that it was a willow warbler but when I looked in a bird book I have (Collins Bird Guide) I wasn't too sure because of the extended yellow underneath and also because of the intensity of the yellow. In the book the colour was more muted and the colour of this bird seemed to resemble the Icterine or the Melodious Warbler but neither are listed as for this part of Europe so I was wondering if maybe one had strayed here to the South East somehow.

Regards, David

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

Thanks for that.
    I suspected that it was a willow warbler but when I looked in a bird book I have (Collins Bird Guide) I wasn't too sure because of the extended yellow underneath and also because of the intensity of the yellow. In the book the colour was more muted and the colour of this bird seemed to resemble the Icterine or the Melodious Warbler but neither are listed as for this part of Europe so I was wondering if maybe one had strayed here to the South East somehow.

Regards, David

Hi David,

Yes it is a stunningly yellow specimen, but that is not unusual in fresh juveniles, I have seen WWs that were as yellow, or almost so. I attach a few links below to similar individuals. Icterine and Melodious were on my mind too! I have never seen either but I believe that both have heavier bigger bills than Willow Warblers, and also that the Icterine has bluey-grey legs.

LostCovey

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25572396@N04/3916354105/
    http://www.naturephoto-cz.eu/willow-warbler:phylloscopus-trochilus-photo-9370.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Icterine and melodius warbler are irregular migrants in the spring/autumn usually at southern coastal area ie cape clear(cork),carnsore point(wexford).

Willow warbler/Chiffchaff have a long obvious yellowish stripe above eye (supercillium). It extends well past the eye. In melodius/icterine this supercillium extends only marginally past eye.

Also Willow warbler/chiffchaff have a dark eyestripe (dark line between bill and eye). This region is pale in melodius/icterine warbler (pale lores).

Icterine/Mellodius have a distinct yellow eyering while willow warbler/chiffchaff do not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Harry Hussey

Icterine and Melodious Warblers really do look quite different to this bird, as already stated: besides, many of those, especially Icterines, are nowhere near as yellow below as this bird! The dark eyestripe, continuing through the loral area, and the pale legs point strongly towards Willow Warbler: the primary projection beyond the tertials is a little short, which suggests that the bird's wings weren't even fully grown yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭thedarkroom

Now my brain is starting to fry :)
    Thanks everyone for all this, the level of information that springs from this forum constantly amazes and this time is no exception.

Yesterday, while sitting at the patio door, I watched yet another willow warbler, this time a more mature one (a muted yellow). He was standing there at the edge of the gravel when I also spotted a small wren hidden in a tuft of grass nearby. The wren watched for a few seconds and suddenly launched a ferocious attack on the unsuspecting warbler who then gave as good as it got.
    They both fought for a few second until I lost sight as the battle moved around the corner but the wren re appeared a few minutes later and proceeded to explore around the pots and stuff for a few grubs so I reckon it won that one. I knew wrens were territorial but I always assumed that it was against other wrens, not other birds in general. I've seen great tits hog the feeder against any other invader so I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised by this.
    Typically, I didn't have my camera nearby for this, it would have made a great series of photos.

Thanks to all, David

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Icterine and Melodious Warblers really do look quite different to this bird, as already stated: besides, many of those, especially Icterines, are nowhere near as yellow below as this bird! The dark eyestripe, continuing through the loral area, and the pale legs point strongly towards Willow Warbler: the primary projection beyond the tertials is a little short, which suggests that the bird's wings weren't even fully grown yet.

aaah yea I agree I think...... sounds like you know your stuff Harry..:eek::eek::confused:

Welcome;)

This thread actually made me feel Thick:)

Advertisement