Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving dog outside during work

Options
  • 30-06-2009 6:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Recently I got a Samoyed puppy Gunnar :D
    I took a few days off to settle him in and now I've rearranged my hours so he's only at home for about 5 hours on his own.

In that time though he is outside in his run.
    (he has a 13ftx7.5ft run with kennel)

It's fine when the sun is shining i don't feel too bad but this morning it was raining as I was driving up the road and suddenly overwhelming guilt set in!

I have visions of going home later and seeing him shivering and soaking! Even though he prob (fingerscrossed) will hop into his kennel with all his toys in there!

I'm eventually putting a roof on the pen at the moment it's on concrete so when we move it to the garden it will be anchored so we can put a roof on then.(it's not possible to keep him indoors during day though he is at night)

Just wondering what everyone elses opinion here is. Do you leave your pups/dogs outside during work and would you feel guilty with it raining?
    Is there anything ye do to make the outdoors more fun for your dogs?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I understand the guilt, we wouldn't like to be out in the rain or cold. But they are animals- they live outdoors.
    Once your pup has shelter it'll be ok. Make sure his kennel is waterproofed and you can even insulate it for colder times. I wouldn't feel guilty, it sounds like hes got a nice little area to play in and somewhere safe to curl up. My pup loves the rain the little sod, you can't get her in. Runs around playing in the puddles.
    You can get the likes of Kong toys that you can fill with good treats, some say to freeze em first so it takes the dog longer.
    But i wouldn't worry unless there's an issue besides your guilt. You leave him alone as short a time as possible and he's a nice place to be whilst ye are gone. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭liz2000

i have 2 dogs, and whenever i not there they spend their time outside in a large compound i had built for them, its about a quarter acre and i have one big kennel in it, my big dog bob though prefers to stay out of the shelter and in the rain, he only uses the kennel in the sun for shade,
    bottom line , dont feel guilty, its only a few hours and u have to be responsible and not let him roam around on his own, maybe lock the pen thoughas samoyeds may be an attraction to dog thieves,
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 cf4

thread ressurection

what age is it ok to start leaving a pup out in the garden (rottweiler)

Advertisement