Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New home smell

Options
  • 28-08-2014 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hi,
    I moved into a new build home 1month ago. Timber frame construction covered with drywall, which apparently was painted directly on the plasterboards, no evidence of any coats to prepare drywall.
    Initially we notice that a small (2m2) storage room had a particular stronger smell.
    The room has no windows, fans or anything. Only a light bulb.

If the door for that room remains open, that seems to reduce the smell. But when we close the door the smell gets stronger again. So far the smell does not seems to have spread. So it seems to be contained on that space.

The smell... I don't really know what it is.. and this is my problem. It does not seem to be this paint smell, when you open a paint bucket.
    Its something more like paper boxes or wood box warehouse smell..

Someone told me to look out for damp/mold/mildew, but I do not know how to distinguish these smells.
    Looking at the walls, I can not see any signs of spots, marks. Plus it is a new build home!
    I also took off a light switch and try to smell inside the wall.. Didnt notice anything that would call my attention.
    Also someone told me that it could be the mildew/humid smell could be from bad paint and acting at the surface not coming from the interior of the walls as traditionally..

I do not know what else to do to try understand what the smell is or to obtain better information to describe the smell... which, could be perfectly normal for new home.. just takes longer to disappear due to the room characteristics..

We have friends in a similar house, just builded 4months older and we are not able to detect similar smell.. but that does not really say much does it.. Each case can be different.

Any opinion how to look at this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭root69

Any one? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Is it just stale air if there's no window in the room?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

That smell will go in time , its kind of a plaster smell . Once the heating is on over the winter it will disappear . You are only in there a month. A building takes nearly 12 months to dry out properly even though it appears ok . Its normal for a new house let the door to that room open for a bit to get the air and heat to circulate once the heating comes on

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭bulleyes

I,ve just had two rooms slabbed and plastered this week and there is a strong smell from the new plaster. It will go over time with plenty of airing and heating. I,d guess as yours in a new build its the same smell.

Nothing to worry about.

Is it just stale air if there's no window in the room?

Correct. No window in the room. The door leads into a landing area. That is the near air ventilation. But not in the room

• Advertisement

Not sure I should be posting this in a different painter thread or so but here it goes.
    If I would like to wash out the current paint and repaint it what should I use to take the paint out?
    Does damp cloths to wash if off impact the plaster wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Get a good dehumidifier and run it for a few days in the room with the door closed.

I think *any* room without ventilation retains plaster/paint smells.
    Try the dehumidifier before you decide to wash the walls.
    (The dehumidifier will come in handy, too, if you wash and repaint, to dry out the room!)

Advertisement