Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trade in NI reg car for ROI reg car

Options
  • 22-01-2014 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

I have a 2007 Mercedes C200 diesel estate, Sport Edition, with all the toys and small mileage (77k) and I want to trade it or swap it for a ROI reg car.

The ROI car must be an estate of similar size or slightly larger, ( or a 4WD) Diesel.
    Are there any dealers in NI who would have stock of ROI cars?

My bug bear is VRT. I do not want to pay it.
    If there was a dealer who had a ROI car in their lot, I'd look at a trade with cash.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭blackis200

blackis200 wrote: »
    I have a 2007 Mercedes C200 diesel estate, Sport Edition, with all the toys and small mileage (77k) and I want to trade it or swap it for a ROI reg car.

The ROI car must be an estate of similar size or slightly larger, ( or a 4WD) Diesel.

If there was a dealer who had a ROI car in their lot, I'd look at a trade with cash.

I Forgot to state that the Merc is NI reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

A dealer wouldn't be able (I'm almost sure) to take legal ownership / custody of a vehicle that didn't have a RoI logbook. And if they did, they'd have to export it immediately or pay the VRT. Its not an attractive deal for them unless its a super rare / sought after car.

Maybe sell in NI? And use the cash to buy here. You'd probably get a whole lot more for it. I'd be surprised if an Irish dealer took an NI car in a straight trade and gave you decent money for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

Documentation requirements for registering a car here have changed since 1st January. Now the person registering has to sign declaration on purchase details of the car being registered - VRTVPD1 for an authorised dealer and VRTVPD2 for a private individual or non-authorised dealer.

For an authorised dealer to complete registration, the car must be bought directly from UK or from another (ROI) authorised dealer. I don't think it is possible for a dealer to legitimately buy in a UK reg car in ROI from a private individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

You're going to pay it anyway, as it comprises a proportion of the value of any ROI-registered car. It's highly unlikely that any NI dealer will have the car you want already ROI registered, although a Southern dealer might take the NI reg Mercedes in part-exchange (at a rock-bottom price, for the reasons the lads outlined above)). All-in, it'd probably be easier to either separate the two transactions or trade in your current car against a suitable NI reg one at a Northern dealer and then reregister it down here.

I can simply pay the VRT on the Merc and proceed in this fashion. The VRT is €4k.
    I was hoping that some NI dealers may have clients in ROI who return to trade a ROI car.

I'll consider selling the Merc privately in NI and go looking for something south of the border for a straight cash deal.
    Thanks for the replies.
    I have a month to play with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

If you like the Merc, it'd be cheaper to pay the VRT and keep it.

Otherwise, sell it in NI, bring money down and........you'll be going back in years/quality/model.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    If you like the Merc, it'd be cheaper to pay the VRT and keep it.

Otherwise, sell it in NI, bring money down and........you'll be going back in years/quality/model.

Thank you for the advice. I bought the Merc In 2010 and it has been SORN since. It has 100% MB service history.
    I think I will take your advice and re register it (and pay the dept of theft €4k in VRT). The car is very good and I'll get a few years out of it
    It doesn't look like there is anybody willing to do a swap for a car with ROI plates.

Interestingly, the cost to export a car from ROI to UK and re register it is £55.00.
    Go Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Thank you for the advice. I bought the Merc In 2010 and it has been SORN since. It has 100% MB service history.
    I think I will take your advice and re register it (and pay the dept of theft €4k in VRT). The car is very good and I'll get a few years out of it
    It doesn't look like there is anybody willing to do a swap for a car with ROI plates.

Interestingly, the cost to export a car from ROI to UK and re register it is £55.00.
    Go Ireland!

Do you not think that the car is worth 4k ?

Besides don't forget if you export it again you can get a refund of VRT.....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Hold on, you've owned the car since 2010?
    I'm assuming you are moving to the ROI, which in that case the VRT is for free, providing you have proof that you've owned it for I believe is 1 year.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

bear1 wrote: »
    I'm assuming you are moving to the ROI, which in that case the VRT is for free, providing you have proof that you've owned it for I believe is 1 year.

Very confusing

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80517175&postcount=11

Is it SORN in NI but you've had it in the south 4 years without paying VRT?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Very confusing

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80517175&postcount=11

Is it SORN in NI but you've had it in the south 4 years without paying VRT?

Ok I'm confused now.

Ok I'm confused now.

I own it. It's in NI and SORN.
    I bought it in 2010 from a friend in NI and my circumstances changed. I never brought it into the ROI.
    Now I need a car down South and I didn't want this one for the purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

One of the requirements for a VRT exemption is that OP must prove the car has been actually used for at least 6 months. Unfortunately the OP's comment below might scupper that if Revenue consider a car SORNed since 2010 as not being in actual use since 2010.

Go Ireland!

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/leaflets/tax-relief-transfer-residence.html
    What evidence is required in respect of the Vehicle?

You are required to prove that you had possession of and actually used the vehicle abroad for at least 6 months before transfer and that the appropriate local taxes have been paid and not refunded. This proof will usually consist of:

the vehicle registration document
    the certificate of insurance
    the sales invoice, receipt of purchase or other similar document
    evidence of the date on which the vehicle was brought into the State (e.g. sailing ticket)
    You will also be required to produce evidence of use of the vehicle abroad. This evidence will consist of, for example:

service and maintenance records
    fuel receipts
    documentation that indicates that annual circulation and registration taxes have been paid etc.
    such evidence as may be requested in individual cases.

Advertisement