Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bleeding a radiator

Options
  • 25-08-2014 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

Have a radiator in just one room that was working fine but yesterday was cold dispute heat being on.
    I went to bleed it and assumed water would just come out for a minute or so but 5 minutes later it was still coming out!

It is not supposed to be a few seconds?

Didn't fix it.
    Ant tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

monkey8 wrote: »
    Have a radiator in just one room that was working fine but yesterday was cold dispute heat being on.
    I went to bleed it and assumed water would just come out for a minute or so but 5 minutes later it was still coming out!

It is not supposed to be a few seconds?

Didn't fix it.
    Ant tips?

Not a plumber but your supposed
    to let the air out of the rad and not water.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Usually if you here the air that is good but just water coming out then no air in it.
    Could be turned of or a leak somewhere. or Low pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭amandstu

I can't see why you want to hear the sound of air .Surely you don't want any air in it at all?

Personally I would continue bleeding until the sound of any air disappeared.

If all you are getting is water then well, and good.

I am wondering if your radiator is cold all the way (from top to bottom and from left to right. )

Are you bleeding it with the pump on or the pump off.? ("on" would be more realistic)

Oh and I am not surprised the water didn't stop coming when you bled it -it will never stop while there is water in the system overall.

Did it come back after you bled it?

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭monkey8

Thanks for all the replies.

I bled all the radiators with the heating on.
    Didn't notice any air coming from any of them, just water.
    I tried to balance them by turning down other radiators but still no luck.

Any ideas of the next best course of action?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭amandstu

Are any of the radiators heating?

Can you tell if the pump is working?

Sometime if just one radiator is not working I might try turning off all the others except for the one that is not heating and see if it improves.

Can you feel any heat in the pipes as they enter or exit the radiator?(is there any life there at all) ?

I don't suppose your radiators have individual thermostats do they?

• Advertisement
Advertisement