Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

asbestos ceiling

Options
  • 19-08-2014 7:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

On my way down to my parent's place to remove some furniture. The ceiling has come down in one of the bedrooms due to a leak when the house was unoccupied. The house was built in the late 60s, early 70s and I am wondering if there is much chance that the ceiling is made from an asbestos containing material.

It is not small ceiling tiles but a normal plaster type ceiling (by the looks of it).

Also, there was no lagging in the attic when they moved in 10 years ago and they have had some put in. Does this lack of lagging mean that there is an increased likelihood that the plaster boards are made from asbestos insulating board?

I have no photo I'm afraid I am just looking for general guidance on the types of ceiling related asbestos used in Irish homes in this time. I am sure it is not popcorn or textured in anyway so that can be ruled out.

I would appreciate any and all help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

Ive never seen asbestos tiles in cielings in Ireland not saying there not there but not in residential homes my place has asbestos gutters still from the 1950 i think. Its really not worth taking a chance best to cal out some professionals as you cant remove it your self unfortunatlu it will be expensive to get removed personally I think the councils should do this as it puts people off having asbestos removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Based on my limited experience, asbestos sheets are like low density fibre board

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Fix the leak. Screw plasterboard on top of the existing and skim. Like we've done for ages. And the world is still revolving! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

WilyCoyote wrote: »
    Fix the leak. Screw plasterboard on top of the existing and skim. Like we've done for ages. And the world is still revolving! :)

Asbestos is a SOLID type of board used for fireproofing and will not crumble if wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭sheikhnguyen

Thanks very much everyone, have been without internet all this time. Sorry for the lateness of the reply!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭shane 007

Asbestos was also in artex type finishes also & if brown asbestos, then it is very high content.

One single fibre breathed into your lungs is all it takes to develop asbestosis.

Get a professional survey done before proceeding with anything, especially clearing out & heed their advice. I worked on hundreds of domestic apartments in London back in the 80's & 90's where it was rifle. If it is in your ceilings, you can bet your bottom dollar it's in other locations also. Stairwells, ducts, even bath panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Shimmy Jimmy CocoPop

A friend of mines house had asbestos ceilings all over the house when they bought it. It had to be professionally removed. It was sheeting roughly 6 x 4's and had dividers. So it was in panels. Could easily be mistaken for wood paneling.

If its greyish in colour and if you can see fibres in it, it is most likely asbestos. My friends housr was also a similar age to yours. They put these panels in back then because it was a great fire barrier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭shane 007

Sorry I should have elaborated, asbestos fibres can only be identified under a microscope. There are a few varying types, namely brown, blue & grey. Grey being the least harmful & usually found in external corrugated roofing sheets.

So by looking at a particular colour panel would be impossible to identify its type or even if it is indeed asbestos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

They were (at least according to a builder i spoke to) REQUIRED in Ireland on the back of garage doors in order to qualify for grants in the late 70s and early1980s long after the dangers of asbestos were known.

Be very wary of any insulating materials from as late as the 1980s if you're not sure what they are.

It's not as widespread as in the US and continental Europe but it's definitely possible to encounter it.

Also be very careful of old boilers and flues.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Having worked a holiday job in a factory in the 70's in England that made them, those square thermo-acoustic tiles that fit into frames in suspended ceilings, often found in offices from the same era, also may contain asbestos.

• Advertisement
Advertisement