Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Control Panel

Options
  • 07-11-2011 8:56pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Mod: I know we are not allowed discuss hosting companies etc - however I hope this is ok, if not my apologies please delete.

I'm considering changing webhost - and the decision is going to be based on what is the easiest one to use, in terms of their control panel. Years ago it was very simple but when i got better hosting it all became a fair bit more complicated. 90% of what I do is wordpress, I have loads of different sites, and their related email accounts etc. I recently had someone do some work on my site and he agreed others are a lot more straight forward.

Is there any one particular control panel that is generally accepted as the best / easiest to use?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

I'm a fan of Plesk Parallels myself. Easy-to-use, decent interface.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I think this is very much a matter of personal opinion. For example...
    I'm a fan of Plesk Parallels myself. Easy-to-use, decent interface.

... Plesk Parallels is the CP I like to use the least.

I prefer HSphere, Cpanel and DirectAdmin before Parallels - and probably in that order. I said it's personal opinion because I doubt many people would say HSphere is more user friendly than Cpanel, which I think would get the most votes if you asked a wide enough audience.

This is from a user point of view, I don't often install and maintain the CP from the hosting side, and I'm sure the hosting companies will have a different opinion.

The best thing to do is have a look at some screenshots of the various control panels - look them up in Google Images and look for screengrabs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

Trojan wrote: »
    ... Plesk Parallels is the CP I like to use the least.

Yeah, a lot of people aren't a fan. I used to do most of my admin through command line (<- boasting, etc) but I find that Plesk allows me to provision most of what I need to do very quickly so I've warmed to it recently. As long as I'm not paying big money to use it, and it's properly installed and patched (quite often it's not with some hosts) then I'll usually use it. Saves me shed loads of time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Personally I like HSphere, but honestly it wouldn't really guide my decision unless every single other factor was equal. Uptime, reliability and support are the big things for me, as I've been burnt twice by different hosts.

Advertisement