Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mac OS X "Leopard" 10.5

• 17-11-2005 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭

Now we have Tiger, we're all happy with it. Well, at least I am. Great thing, runs smoothly.

However, there are still things that have to be done, things still aren't the way you want it. Still there are things completely missing, that would make life even more easier.

Slated for release somewhere in the 2nd half of 2006 or somewhere in 2007 is Apple's next OS, this time called "Leopard".
    Mac OS X v10.5 "Leopard"

Mac OS X v10.5 "Leopard" was announced at the Worldwide Developers Conference on June 6, 2005, due to be released at the end of 2006 or early 2007, roughly around the same time Microsoft would release Windows Vista (formerly known by the code-name "Longhorn"). Apple has said that it will support both PowerPC- and Intel x86-based Macintosh computers. No information on what features Leopard will add to the Mac OS have been announced, though it is said that its GUI will be fully resolution independent.

From Wikipedia

What do you want to see in the next OS? Just out of curiousity...

Write it down here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

* Better Windows integration.. even with the latest version of Tiger I still can't properly connect and share files with Windows networks here in work - in particular domains managed by Windows Server 2003. A Mac should look just like a PC to other PCs, bugs and all - whatever it takes to get me working flawlessly on Windows networks.

* Optimization for games. From benchmarks I've seen World of Warcraft runs *half* as fast on a Mac as it does on an equivalent PC. Now some of that may be down to Blizzard not writing the game well - though I doubt it - but most of the blame has to lie with Apple. There's no reason why a modern high-tech OS like MacOS should be performing so badly in this area.

* Full version of Quicktime included with the OS. I'm ****ing pissed off with Apple's penny-pinching in this area. I paid for the Mac. I paid for the OS. I ****ing want to watch movies full screen and not be shown that god-damned upgrade window every time I start a program as fundamental as Quicktime! You ****s!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Agreed with the Quicktime one. Though a friend gave me a QTpro code to use :)

I'd like to see more games out... though then I'd never get any work done!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭ciaranr

On a broader note, how about a tablet PC Mac product? Imagine a 10" iBook, ala some modern Sony machines, that you can rotate the screen through 180 degrees on, and write and use the OS with a built-in stylus?

Given the proposed resolution independence, the UI should scale down and up more easily than before and the screen could be used as a "softkey" type touchpad when connected to a decent sized screen.

Also how cool would it be on a crowded bus or plane to be able to listen to music while doing some basic wordprocessing, scheduling, web browsing or emailing?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Tablet PC's are crap TBH. A Mac Media Centre could be something special. The new remote is a bit half hearted but a step in the right direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭HomunQlus

Rew wrote:
    Tablet PC's are crap TBH. A Mac Media Centre could be something special. The new remote is a bit half hearted but a step in the right direction.

Check out the new iMac G5. That's a Media Centre I think... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

HomunQlus wrote:
    Check out the new iMac G5. That's a Media Centre I think... ;)

This is what made me take the plunge into buying a mac - its great, although I have never had a mac before so I cant compare! - but from owning pc's for years I love this. It is a media centre but doesn't have a TV tuner. The remote is handy but I haven't used it much yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Sarunas

Dr_Teeth wrote:
    * Full version of Quicktime included with the OS. I'm ****ing pissed off with Apple's penny-pinching in this area. I paid for the Mac. I paid for the OS. I ****ing want to watch movies full screen and not be shown that god-damned upgrade window every time I start a program as fundamental as Quicktime! You ****s!

Why dont you use vlc or [FONT=Lucida Grande,Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]MPlayerOSX[/FONT] then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭HomunQlus

Felixdhc wrote:
    This is what made me take the plunge into buying a mac - its great, although I have never had a mac before so I cant compare! - but from owning pc's for years I love this. It is a media centre but doesn't have a TV tuner. The remote is handy but I haven't used it much yet.

I have two Macs, made the switch from PCs to Macs. All I can say is, that once you had a Mac, and used it, you will never want to go back again...

Advertisement