Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Norman Problem

Options
  • 18-09-2014 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi all just looking for some advice please.

I purchased a table from Harvey Normans, it was a display model that had some marks on it. I was happy enough with that and purchased the table. It was dismantled and wrapped up in bubble wrap and put into my car by the staff. When I got it home I unwrapped it and noticed that there was new damage to the table, a one inch chip on the top veneer. Thinking I must have damaged it, I searched the floor, bubble wrap and the car looking for the damaged veneer that came off. I never found it, leaving me to believe it was damaged in store while it was been taking apart and wrapped.
    I have rang the store and was told to email customer services with pictures of the damage, upon receipt of these I received an email back saying that it must have happened after it left the store, if that was the case I would have the one piece that came off the table.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on where I stand with this. I have to ring back tomorrow to speak to the guy who sold me the table.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Bring it back and get your money back. It's much easier to get a settlement when you're speaking face to face with a manager and especially when other customers are mingling around within earshot.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭daz76

Cheers slimjimmc, was thinking that alright instead of waiting for the phone call from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Bring it back and get your money back. It's much easier to get a settlement when you're speaking face to face with a manager and especially when other customers are mingling around within earshot.

That how NOT to approach it.

Using the "I'll embarrass you into submission approach"does not work and you simply make an eejit of yourself especially when you don't have right on your side.

It was a display table. You had time to inspect it. You bought it as a display table and presumably got a discount. Unless the damage is in a place that you would not have seen it, you DON'T have the same rights as when buying a brand new item.

Now you can go into the store and politely speak to the salesperson you were dealing with and show them a picture of the damage and see if they can do anything, but at the same time being aware that they do not have to do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

delahuntv wrote: »
    That how NOT to approach it.

Using the "I'll embarrass you into submission approach"does not work and you simply make an eejit of yourself especially when you don't have right on your side.

It was a display table. You had time to inspect it. You bought it as a display table and presumably got a discount. Unless the damage is in a place that you would not have seen it, you DON'T have the same rights as when buying a brand new item.

Now you can go into the store and politely speak to the salesperson you were dealing with and show them a picture of the damage and see if they can do anything, but at the same time being aware that they do not have to do anything.
    You still have the right to reject the goods or other redress if the item you received after the shop dismantled, packaged and delivered it to your car does not match the condition as originally inspected. In buying a display model the OP anticipated there may be some minor defects, that's why the OP inspected it first and deemed those defects acceptable. However a 1 inch chip to the top veneer would be a fairly obvious defect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Cerco

slimjimmc wrote: »
    You still have the right to reject the goods or other redress if the item you received after the shop dismantled, packaged and delivered it to your car does not match the condition as originally inspected. In buying a display model the OP anticipated there may be some minor defects, that's why the OP inspected it first and deemed those defects acceptable. However a 1 inch chip to the top veneer would be a fairly obvious defect.

In theory yes in practice not a chance. How would the OP prove that the damage happened after purchase? Unless there was photographic evidence then it is just an opinion.
    Op go back and ask the sales person if they will accept a return. I would imagine the will respond positively. I would not be confident using a demand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭daz76

Just to give you an update. Got a phone call from the manager today. He agreed to take table back and refund the money. Really nice chap to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

daz76 wrote: »
    Just to give you an update. Got a phone call from the manager today. He agreed to take table back and refund the money. Really nice chap to deal with.

and proof that dealing with a retailer in a professional and polite manner will in most cases get a positive result.

Advertisement