Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband and Line Rental

Options
  • 18-09-2014 11:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭

just a question, eircom are constantly advertising their broadband price on tv but never include their line rental charge, it means comparisons with other services are not always clear.

is this type of advertising allowed? in some cases the line rental is more expensive than the bundle so gives a false impression.

airlines have to advertise "taxes and charges" as part of the price now so it seems like a weird little loophole that the phone company dont mention you have a line rental charge (plus line installation if you dont have one) as its not exactly optional...

thanks for any info

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Without posting up an example of their adverts I'd imagine they have themselves covered with text on the screen saying something to the affect of.
    Terms & Conditions apply, for full details see eircom.net

you'll find any other ISP will likely do the exact same thing,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭surpy

im having a look for their ad, this is from their site, no line rental or T&C link on that page
    http://www.eircom.net/bundles/

F5jy5ql.png

i guess the others are at it too, just wondering if it has been tested in the past?
    in fact, im not 100% sure there are line rental charges, ive searched online but its not clear

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The price clearly says
    "from"
    when you click on find out more on the next page there's a section that says

"Other useful information and promotions explained* "

The information is all available,

I'm not seeing the issue as the info is available, however if you believe its misleading then by all means report it http://www.asai.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

surpy wrote: »
    im having a look for their ad, this is from their site, no line rental or T&C link on that page

F5jy5ql.png

i guess the others are at it too, just wondering if it has been tested in the past?
    in fact, im not 100% sure there are line rental charges, ive searched online but its not clear

The prices above include line rental.

wonski wrote: »
    The prices above include line rental.

thats interesting, the other poster was able to find details about line rental as an extra (i cant find it)

do you know if its industry standard to include line rental in the costs?
    i can see that comparing upc (no line rental) to eircom (line rental included) to (for example) sky (possibly line rental extra?) could be confusing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Click on "More details" for the bundle you're looking at. On the new page, click on the tab "What's included" (there's 4 across the page about half way down) and you'll find
    Unlimited off peak local and national calls
    30 minutes to all Irish mobile network operators
    Line rental included

Up to 100Mb download allowance
    Unlimited download allowance
    New customer discount
    FREE wireless modem and connection
    18 month contract

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

thats interesting, the other poster was able to find details about line rental as an extra (i cant find it)

do you know if its industry standard to include line rental in the costs?
    i can see that comparing upc (no line rental) to eircom (line rental included) to (for example) sky (possibly line rental extra?) could be confusing

http://www.bonkers.ie/ is very useful to compare prices.

Eircom always includes line rental for their bundles. You can get broadband only from UPC so they don't need to include line rental unless you want the phone.

i have phone from upc but its voip so no line rental, which can be more confusing.

just thinking this from a consumer point of view, and probably applies to all services, but it seems a fairer indication would be a requirement to give the total / average monhtly cost to the cosumer vs "free for a period, then full price for an extended contract, with some extra charges we didnt mention also thrown in"
    the complexity in triple/quad play bundles (channesl, minutes, BB speed, download caps, etc) do make it a challenge, even after knowing the cost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

those prices double after 6 months!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

wonski wrote: »
    http://www.bonkers.ie/ is very useful to compare prices.

Eircom always includes line rental for their bundles. You can get broadband only from UPC so they don't need to include line rental unless you want the phone.

UPC phone comes down the same line as the broadband so there is never any line rental.

• Advertisement

UPC phone comes down the same line as the broadband so there is never any line rental.

Spot on,
    its not comparing like with line,

A better comparison would be to Vodafone's phone and broadband offerings

Advertisement