Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Billing us 4 times what we were quoted, admits mistake but still debits account

Options
  • 18-09-2014 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭

Myself and the OH have just moved back to Dublin and needed to get broadband. UPC was wired into our block and opted for the their €14.50 a month 60 Mb Broadband for 6 months and €37 a month thereafter for 12 months. A 18 month contract in total. This comes as a bundle with a phone connection but we were told that aslong as we didn't use the phone we would not be charged.

We got our modem on Saturday and it works fine. Our phone number arrived on monday but we don't even have an actual telephone headset in the apartment.

On Monday my OH decided to log on a check her bill expecting it to be €14.50 (although expected there might be some hidden admin/delivery/startup fees). What we werent expecting was a total bill of €62.99.

The broadband was charged at €43 (not €14.50, not even €37) with a first day fee for €1.39 (fair enough)

There was also phone charges for a phoneline we don't use on a phone we don't have for a total of €18.60, €7.50 of which was for a freetime world pack that is a set charge to make international calls (wtf?)

It was late Tuesday when we say this and their billing centre closing at 6. She rang at 5pm the next day and explained the irregularities. The agent confirmed that the application filled in by the sales agent when she was booking was completely wrong. The phone charges came from nowhere and should be Zero and the box in which to apply the 6 month 50% discount was not ticked, although that still doesn't explain the €43 when it should be €37.

The next bit enraged me the most. Rather than rectify the bill back down to our agreed monthly price of €14.50, she told my OH that the €62 would be debited from her account. This is due to be paid in 2 weeks time.

We were told they need to listen to her original call to make sure that my OH is telling the truth and the €14.50 is what she agreed with the previous incompetent sales staff. We were told that there is such a backlog of these situations that it will take 10 working days to resolve this. Once this has been proven the additional fees that we would have paid by then would be credited to her account. Essentially we shouldn't be charged for 3 months afterward although with the number of errors we've experience so far we are not too confident of that happening smoothly

We are currently aware we have a 2 weeks cooling off period where we can cancel the contract and the direct debit and are considering doing it. If we wait for them to resolve this then our cooling off period will be up.

I'm not sure why I am posting here other than to vent and also maybe get some advice or direction from people in the know or have experienced this carry on previously.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

What they have offered appears quite reasonable to me. You could push for a monetary refund but I don't see much point.

BTW, any cooling off period under distance selling regulations died once the service began with your consent.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/distance_selling.html
    Cancellation will not be accepted in certain cases including where:
    •The provision of services have already begun with your agreement
    :

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

They are not entitled to withdraw money for services they agree you didn't order, the backlog is their problem.
    Cancel the direct debit, and agree to reinstate it on foot of an accurate bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

ardmacha wrote: »
    They are not entitled to withdraw money for services they agree you didn't order, the backlog is their problem.

They have said that they need to listen to the recording to verify all this.
    Cancel the direct debit, and agree to reinstate it on foot of an accurate bill.

This is denying payment and puts you in breach. It might be better to ask for the invoice to be placed in dispute, and suspended from the payment cycle. But I don't know how far in advance they generate their payment files.

OP - do you think getting a credit on your account is reasonable? That's the real question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

dudara wrote: »
    This is denying payment and puts you in breach. It might be better to ask for the invoice to be placed in dispute, and suspended from the payment cycle. But I don't know how far in advance they generate their payment files.

OP - do you think getting a credit on your account is reasonable? That's the real question.

The Bill was issued on the 14th and is due to be paid on the 29th of this month. Which covers services from the 14th of Sep to the 14th of October.

I understand that mistakes can happen (however absurd) but its the fact the are going to plough ahead with the debit despite agreeing with us that we are in the right.

I would think the credit on the account is reasonable but I have very little confidence that this would be done correctly either following our current situation and reading other posts on this issue. Moving up to Dublin has also been a costly endeavour and prepaying for 4 months broadband was not on our budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Under SEPA cant you request refund of a DD where the amount is either incorrect or beign contested?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

dudara wrote: »
    They have said that they need to listen to the recording to verify all this.

How does cancelling the DD put them in breach?
    The whole reason bills are sent out in advance of a DD is to allow the customer to verify the charges. The OP has disputed the bill, UPC have accepted that they're wrong. If they've such a backlog of errors that they can't verify this in the notice period between the bill and the direct debit, then that's their problem, maybe they need to give more notice.
    They have an obligation not to collect amounts which are in dispute. They should be collecting the lower amount now, and if their investigation finds the OP is right then adding the difference to the next bill. But the OP shouldn't be out of pocket, even temporarily, because UPC can't handle the volume of complaints they get

If UPC are insisting on debiting an excessive incorrect amount I'd suggest the OP would be quite justified in cancelling the DD and paying UPC the correct amount by alternative means.

Under SEPA the OP is "entitled to request a refund of any variable direct debit which exceeded the amount which you could reasonably have expected, subject to you so requesting your bank within a period of 8 weeks from the date of debiting such direct debit to your account; your bank is entitled to ask you to provide factual elements relating to your request for a refund".

On the other hand, SEPA provides for the option to "limit a SEPA Direct Debit collection to a certain amount and/or periodicity". That might be the best option for the OP - limit the DD to the expected correct amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Sparko

Part of my job involves direct debit collections and I find it absurd that they can't/won't change what you will be charged this far in advance of the debit date. Admittedly, I only process a few thousand direct debits which is considerably less than UPC, but still they have been given ample time to amend your bill and dd amount.

I bet they'd be quick to add failed dd fees to your account if you cancel or dispute the charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Hello there ,

UPC have a Talk To Forum here on Boards and have asked if they can post here or send you a PM to answer you podge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Dav wrote: »
    Hello there ,

UPC have a Talk To Forum here on Boards and have asked if they can post here or send you a PM to answer you podge.

Hi Dav,
    Yes of course. I didn't realize there was a special forum, probably should have posted there first day :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Here is my 2cents regarding billing. I got a package from them which I was billed incorrectly. The direct debit once its in place goes through and they will do a refund at the next billing phase. Its happened to me on a few times but once you ring (I know its a pain) its sorted out next bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

with negative interest rates that could be a good thing.

Just an update. We got a phone call and they apoligised and confirmed the error by their staff.

Our 6 month 50% "special" of €14.50 a month will begin next month instead of this month 14 of October to 14 of November. That should take us into March. Our bill this month is the full €37. I can accept that.

But still €62.99 will still be debited from my OH bank account in a weeks time and then credited to her UPC account. I wasn't too happy about it but she was fairly weary of constantly ringing them and explaining the situation again and again so she accepted.

We should have a credit balance of €25.99 after this and should not have to pay them again until November and it should only be €3 at that.

If that is not the case then we will be calling them again and letting ye know here how I we get on.

Thanks for all the advice, it is greatly appreciated particularily the information on SEPA.

Advertisement