Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Speakers in laptop won't stop making rasping sound

• 26-12-2008 1:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭

Lattitude D600 Windows 2000
    SigmaTel C-Major Audio

The speakers in my laptop won't stop making a raspy sound even when i connect it to different speakers thats all I get.

Any music or whatever that does come out is distorted and crackly.

The left corner of laptop has been very hot for a while but may have gotten hotter recently. This is the side nearest the earphone and micophone jacks so I guess it could be a problem with the sound card.

I tried uninstalling and reinistalling some sound drivers but that didn't work.

Are my speakers fu(ked or is there a simple solution?

Does it need repairing?? Would a format work?

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

I wouldn't mind but I just got a 32" tv for christmas and was looking forward to connecting them up. I NEED SOUND!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Well apparently the speakers and maybe motherboard need replacing.

Does anyone know if a repair company would do this and for what price?

It is a Lattitude D600 which is fairly ancient - would it be possible to get replacement parts?

I was thinking seeing as its ancient but still in perfect condition mostly I'd like to try myself to replace the parts using this manual

http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/latd600/sm/speakers.htm#1006368

Would it be difficult?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I guess what you have to ask yourself is whether it's worth repairing seeing how old it is. If you decide to repair it yourself, be prepared to have to repair it again as other parts fail, given it's age component failure is a certainty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I'd re-install all drivers again before I splash out on repairs/new hardware.

I guess what you have to ask yourself is whether it's worth repairing seeing how old it is. If you decide to repair it yourself, be prepared to have to repair it again as other parts fail, given it's age component failure is a certainty.

I wouldn't mind repairing this time. It would give me some experience repairing that type of stuff. It would depend more on the cost of the replacements.

Would there be a way to get the sound working ok without the internal speakers to external speakers or head phones?

Does anyone know how much a replacement motherboard & speakers would cost? and if they're available? Would I get them off DELL?

Hagar wrote: »
    I'd re-install all drivers again before I splash out on repairs/new hardware.

what would be the best way to do that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Go to the Dell website and download them again from Dell Support page.

Right well the continuous crackling seems to have stopped. But music still sounds crap even from external speakers.

Has anyone experienced this problem??

I'd be happy if I could get sound work from external speakers if thats possible I don't really care about the internal ones...

I was talking to Dell chat but really it doesn't seem like they have a clue.

In my opinion there a couple of possible things that could be wrong:

1 A driver is fu(ked - don't this is the case though.
    2 The internal speaker has finally given up
    3 There is a lose connection somewhere
    4 THe sound card is jacked
    5 The inside has gotten dirty and has clogged something in internal speakers / sound card.
    6 A problem with the motherboard?
    7 The sound card / speakers / motherboard has overheated - overheating seems to have been a problem in this laptop (the cooling system is not approriately positioned...

Could yous try and knock these possibities? Which ones are most possible and what I need to fix them....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

If you say you've tried external speakers/headphones and the problem is apparent there too, i'd say it's not an issue with the onboard speakers. But rather the sound card is at fault. As for what is wrong with your sound card, like you said, it could be something as simple as a loose connection somewhere, or it could be something more complicated. And since the soundcard is integrated into the mobo replacing a soundcard means replacing the whole motherboard.
    Does the D600 have a pcmcia slot? If it does you may be able to pick up a PCMCIA sound card on the cheap and plug that in. It'd be a much handier work around.

If you say you've tried external speakers/headphones and the problem is apparent there too, i'd say it's not an issue with the onboard speakers. But rather the sound card is at fault. As for what is wrong with your sound card, like you said, it could be something as simple as a loose connection somewhere, or it could be something more complicated. And since the soundcard is integrated into the mobo replacing a soundcard means replacing the whole motherboard.
    Does the D600 have a pcmcia slot? If it does you may be able to pick up a PCMCIA sound card on the cheap and plug that in. It'd be a much handier work around.

Yes your right the sound card is integrated into the motherboard as the DELL said I'd need to replace the motherboard.

A PCMCIA sound card would be cheaper then a new motherboard?
    What is the PCMCIA slot is it one of the slots on the side?

How would I disconnect the old sound card to get the other one to work?

• Advertisement

A USB sound card seems to be the best solution for me.

But has anyone had any experience with them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Did you turn the microphone off?

kleefarr wrote: »
    Did you turn the microphone off?

Yes i just turned the micophone volume to zero. No difference.
    Is there a way to disable them properly?

Does anyone know anything about USB sound cards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

In case your interested and do want to replace that motherboard that D series 500,600 and 800 from Dell are very easy to work with. I've had to get the soldering iron out to a few for another issue and now I can strip one down and put it back together in under 20mins, most other laptops take a lot longer. Check on the Dell site as they have a manual somewhere describing every step of opening one up.

Also you might find that you can get the motherboard mounted on the bottom case section (saves alot of messing around if you've not take one apart before) for under €100 off eBay (if I needed one I think I could problaby get one under 50? but would wait till one turned up). Also if you have a model with a Celron CPU there's been a guy on eBay selling the Pentium M 1.7GHz chip for 15euro - nice cheap upgrade :)

If you can't shut up the speakers then you can disconect them as they are plugged in the motherboard - check the Dell manual - but I think the conector is just under the keyboard, take off the top strip, leavered off from the lefthand side (obvious insert to put screwdriver blade in - be genty) then 2 screws to get the keyboard out. But do check the manual first as I could be wrong as to the location ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    Yes i just turned the micophone volume to zero. No difference.
    Is there a way to disable them properly?

Does anyone know anything about USB sound cards?

Go to sound properties and select mute.

kleefarr wrote: »
    Go to sound properties and select mute.

Nah I tried it. doesn't make a difference.

ttm wrote: »
    In case your interested and do want to replace that motherboard that D series 500,600 and 800 from Dell are very easy to work with. I've had to get the soldering iron out to a few for another issue and now I can strip one down and put it back together in under 20mins, most other laptops take a lot longer. Check on the Dell site as they have a manual somewhere describing every step of opening one up.

Also you might find that you can get the motherboard mounted on the bottom case section (saves alot of messing around if you've not take one apart before) for under €100 off eBay (if I needed one I think I could problaby get one under 50? but would wait till one turned up). Also if you have a model with a Celron CPU there's been a guy on eBay selling the Pentium M 1.7GHz chip for 15euro - nice cheap upgrade :)

If you can't shut up the speakers then you can disconect them as they are plugged in the motherboard - check the Dell manual - but I think the conector is just under the keyboard, take off the top strip, leavered off from the lefthand side (obvious insert to put screwdriver blade in - be genty) then 2 screws to get the keyboard out. But do check the manual first as I could be wrong as to the location ;)

Well to be honest I wouldn't be willing to pay over €50 to fix it.

I found this on EBAY - a motherboard for about €80 or a untested one for 10 - but that one is prob no better then the one I have already.

http://shop.ebay.ie/items/?_nkw=DELL+latitude+D600+motherboard&_sacat=0&_fromfsb=&_trksid=m270.l1313&_odkw=DELL+latitude+D600+speakers&_osacat=0

I think my best option is this

http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4YLK&CategorySelectedId=11140&NavigationKey=11140

A USB Sound card. but delivery is like €13 from this site. Is there any better sites for stuff like this? Or would any stores have stuf like that?

I've found a Speedlink Ultra Portable Soundcard for €15, its on the Peats website might be a better deal will have to find reviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Wow not even 2euro spent on the problem, but allow a month for delivery (can be faster).

No need to disable anything, all you need to do is tell windows which is the default sound card to use, as you obviously like a challenge I'll leave you to find out where to pick the relevant option ;)

ttm wrote: »
    Wow not even 2euro spent on the problem, but allow a month for delivery (can be faster).

No need to disable anything, all you need to do is tell windows which is the default sound card to use, as you obviously like a challenge I'll leave you to find out where to pick the relevant option ;)

Seems like it. Lets see how long it takes for delivery....

• Advertisement

Just got my USB Sound Card.

It works perfectly straight out of the box. No CD or istallation or any b0llox.
    DELL Sales wouldn't leave me alone for about three days trying to get me to get the laptop repaired with a new motherboard. Idiots.

Anyway thanks everyone for the help.

May try to remove my internal speakers one day - to save weight. seems a bit of a chore though.

Advertisement