Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Amount of Crud On New Laptops is CRIMINAL-Oh and of Course Vista ....

• 06-01-2009 12:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

Just spent the last few hours cleaning up my new Sony Vaio.The SuperPi 1M (basic cpu speed benchmarking utility) dropped from 54 seconds to low 30s (AND the second test was with a Spybot scan running at the same time !!!)
    Its like selling a car with sacks of cement packed into the boot and a spark plug lead disconnected ...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭Dartz

They get money for adding that stuff. Especially the trialware. If you end up buying it, the laptop manufacturer receives a commission. Funny thing is only 'bloatware' I disabled on my Dell was Google Desktop, everything else I actually do use fairly regularly....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'd just format and reinstall vista tbh. But i agree though, the amount of bloatware these days is just criminal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Is there not a risk that if you do a reformat you may loose out on some silly but vital little Vaio utility like battery monitor?And will you have to find every driver for sound/pointer/etc etc ?
    This is actually my first personal laptop despite having 6-8 years messing about with PC s

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Like said above the manufacturer gets money for this so it helps make the laptop cheaper. Sonys on the other hand are completely different and just bundle every piece of shít software sony have ever made. I spend ages removing these from a few friends laptops. I usually format and re-install myself. As for all the drivers check the manufacturers website, it'll have everything you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭TGi666

about 2 weeks ago i removed norton from my laptop and i was suprised at how quick it had gotten just use spybot now and its perfect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I found vista handled the drivers itself when i installed in on my netbook, and sony should have the drivers available online if vista doesnt find the drivers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Tyrant^ wrote: »
    Little off topic but not exactly what I'd call custom built. Dell offer a similar level, if not better customisation.

Advertisement