Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a laptop up North....advice?

• 31-12-2008 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Hi all,

Going North this weekend for some shopping. Hoping to pick up a badly needed laptop and save money thanks to the weak pound. I would love a Macbook but I'm not sure how realistic that is price-wise even up there. I'm not a big techie and thus don't have any big requirements- I just need a computer for all my essays and assignments for college, Internet and for uploading/downloading photos/music/etc.

Haven't really been looking at any other models that are around at the moment.....don't want to spend my time up there browsing, best to do the research in advance! So, any recommendations? Also, where in Belfast should I head shop-wise?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Hey,

Might I just piggy back on this one as well - any recommendations for Newry or Belfast appreciated.

And Lemonyfresh: re the Apples, I don't think they discount them. You can find the prices you'll get at the Apple store in Belfast at http://store.apple.com/uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 culna

Go for a Dell, said to be one of the best, Toshiba second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Any ideas for stockists of the Asus EE pc in the north also- belfast/newry lisburn etc etc - and any idea of prices at the moment for 16GB version?
    Many thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

Trust me don't buy a Dell. They work for a 3 months - 1 year and they fail! You can't go wrong with Apple or Acer!!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

jwcurtin wrote: »
    Trust me don't buy a Dell. They work for a 3 months - 1 year and they fail! You can't go wrong with Apple or Acer!!!!
    Really, they must have outsourced the dell desktop I bought off them 5 years ago and pretty much every other dells I've used so as a lot of dells I've used or seen lasted more than a year. Same as many other brands, most will work fine, some will go tits up.

Also, some of dells xps laptops are made by one of the companies that make apple laptops. So if all dells are shíte so are apples.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 cendant

you can go wrong with Apple laptops - they do break fairly often. I worked in Apple, I know. They do not use the best components, they actually save on giving you average quality hardware. The design is good, though.

As for Acer, I have had two laptops and they worked great

Dell?

I have a Dell XPS 1330 - a great small lightweight laptop with one tiny problem (due to a faulty Nvidia chip it can fry the motherboard at any time, so Dell are forced to give you a replacement - if you have a warranty, that is)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

jwcurtin wrote: »
    3 of my friends HAD Dell laptops and all failed within a year! They used them for light use (i.e internet,music,email)!

My sister and mum have a dell vostro 1000 for just over a year. No problems with either of them yet. If dells were as bad as you say, the vast majority of companies and colleges using them (there is a lot) wouldn't use them.

I've had a couple of friends who had problems with their HP laptops. Doesn't mean I'm going to piss all over them and I've seen more acers go faulty then any other brand although it would still be relatively low in comparison to the non faulty ones.

All manufacturers are going to have laptops that fail, luckily it's relatively low the amount that will fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 LemonyFresh

Thanks all.

Unfortunately I've had terrible luck with Dells......just can't face them again to be honest!

If I go up North for a Mac with my student I.D. from down here..will this be acceptable/valid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Thanks all.

Unfortunately I've had terrible luck with Dells......just can't face them again to be honest!

If I go up North for a Mac with my student I.D. from down here..will this be acceptable/valid?
    What's you student ID go to do with it? Are there discounts for students? So far the replies haven't really been that helpful. I'm in the same boat as you. Plan to go to Belfast. I am leaning towards Toshiba as my laptop of choice. Would love recommendations of stores in Belfast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Alright fellas, lets try and keep this thread on topic. Anyone have any specific recommendations for laptop retailers up north?
    Curry's and the likes would probably be a good bet, i have no idea where these are up north though...google is your friend!

• Advertisement
Advertisement