Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any advice on memory upgrade?

• 05-01-2009 2:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭

Hey hows things?

I currently have a fujitsu siemens Amilo li1705 laptop, bought a year ago. Im finding it extremely slow and the OS keeps on crashing (windows vista). I did a quik check and it sais that I only have 19gb of memory left on the system which is making me think its happening. The specs on the laptop are 1gb ram, 80g hard drive and celeron processor.

ANyway, just wondering if anyone knows about these particular laptops, can the Hard drive and ram be incresed at all? If so where can i get the parts or ven get it done for a reasonable price?

Thanks,

mark.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,151 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

How is it crashing exactly? Given a year of use and abuse, it could be down to anything.

You can upgrade both the hard drive and the ram but the hard drive is a bit more difficult as you will need to ghost your existing one - its a bit advanced. As for the ram you just need to identify the kind of ram you have (probably SODIMM 200-pin 667MHz - its quite common)

I'm more inclined to think that after a year though whats crashing your machine is bloat. Could be anything from a virus or spyware, to any assortment of craploads of software you have set to run when the OS boots. I cant really say for sure unless you describe your symptoms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Hey hows things.

I recently did a complete overhaul of the laptop and removed all mailware, spyware etc of which there was a lot. With regards to bloat, I took off all programs that start up with the OS and deleted a heap of unwanted programs.

In terms of the crashing, its generally after a while, the OS just freezes and can only be restored by turning the computer off and on with the power button. If that doesnt happen the whole thing just becomes incredibly slow and could literally be waiting 5 minutes for a window to open like, not just internet but a word document or something...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 RickR WIN-TEAM

Hi thehamo, I have read about your memory issue, and have some suggestions. Basically Windows Vista requires a minimum of 2gigs of ram, to run properly. My suggestion is to purchase additional ram. According to the Fujitsu website, your laptop has two memory slots, and you currently have 1gig or ram I am guessing you have two sticks of 512. You could pick up two 1gig sticks and install one in each slot and you should see a huge improvement in performance. I found some inexpensive ram at this link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148086 . You are looking for 2GB (2 x 1GB) 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 memory. Let me know if you have any additional questions.
    Rick, Windows Outreach Team

Advertisement