Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what exactly are netbooks capable of ?

Options
  • 05-01-2009 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭

what exactly are netbooks capable of? is it possible to download and play movies, can programs like excel be run and can they run more than one application at once?

i do know that they dont have a dvd drive but other than that what are the actual limitations

im thinking of geting either a nc10 or a laptop. would i be better going for a laptop considering the above requirements and if so what one could you recommend

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

there isn't really any limitations

most come with a gb of ram and half decent processor

the only thing you prob won't be able to do is run any games that require a lot of meat

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

They are fully fledged laptops, running XP or Linux, so no different from any other, apart from the size and lack of DVD drive.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

They are a little slower than normal laptops but for the type of things you want to do they are perfect. Even un-raring files which I do quite regularly is quicker than I thought it would be.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

As said they'll do all the things you mentioned above, working on word and say playing music works perfectly. If you want something small, for the likes of music, web browsing and word/excel etc, most netbooks would suffice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

In addition to the valid points above, what convinced me to buy a NC10 was the very long battery life and battery life - especially when compared to my XPS M1730.

OP, you need to ask yourself both what and where you intend to use the machine. (What's perfect as a desktop replacement is not the best for longhaul flights as in my situation).

• Advertisement
Advertisement