Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To the very good people of boards

Options
  • 19-05-2010 3:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭

I have been very stressed lately, and exhausted too and have just found out i am not getting holidays or any time off from work this summer.

i feel like i am going to drop dead soon.

Help me to decide what to do with my wages this week.

i want and need to go for spa teatments. will i book myself into a spa at the weekend.

or will i save and budget for rent and bills.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Go for a nice long walk , you'll feel better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

To Ilovesleep,
    Stop lying. Bye :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Blobby George

Buy BOI shares.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Buy BOI shares.

No way, you're crazy.

Buy Anglo shares.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Buy a big bar of chocolate. It's cheaper than a spa weekend and just as good :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

ilovesleep wrote: »
    will i book myself into a spa at the weekend.

Save your money and just call around to my house.

That way you can say you hung out with a spa for the weekend instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

I have been very stressed lately, and exhausted too and have just found out i am not getting holidays or any time off from work this summer.

i feel like i am going to drop dead soon.

Help me to decide what to do with my wages this week.

i want and need to go for spa teatments. will i book myself into a spa at the weekend.

or will i save and budget for rent and bills.

I'll tell you what to do: Be happy that you have a job and that your hours are not cut.

There are alot of people on the breadline alot more stressed than you i can gaurantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Why aren't they giving you holidays? That sounds a bit wrong. First off, I'd head over to the employment rights section of boards and get a bit of feedback on that.

Check out entertainment.ie for fun stuff to do at the weekend though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Buy yourself a back-up toilet brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Degag wrote: »
    I'll tell you what to do: Be happy that you have a job and that your hours are not cut.

There are alot of people on the breadline alot more stressed than you i can gaurantee.

Ah yeh be happy you have a job argument:rolleyes:. Yeh it must be hard not having a job no ones denying that, does that mean those of us who have a job should have to have our rights squashed and take any crap our jobs throw at us, using the recession argument i dont think so.

Yeh op just go for it do whatever helps yeh relax.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Degag wrote: »

There are also a dickload of people out there with **** jobs with **** pay and **** working conditions thanks to greedy management using the recession as an excuse to cut back, that are told to shut up and be happy because they have a job. Yeah there are unemployed who are arguably worse off, but that doesnt mean the employed should be going around singing sunshine lollipops and rainbows all day

EDIT: Damn you luvbulmers01

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

You do know your employer can't stop you taking your holidays, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,985 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Where did these "Very good people of Boards" come from, who are they, and who let em in?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Ah yeh be happy you have a job argument:rolleyes:. Yeh it must be hard not having a job no ones denying that, does that mean those of us who have a job should have to have our rights squashed and take any crap our jobs throw at us, using the recession argument i dont think so.

Yes, Yes it does, because we're all bitter, ye have to be too :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

I

i want and need to go for spa teatments. will i book myself into a spa at the weekend..

I never thought it'd come to pass that there'd be handicapped prostitutes.
    Progress, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

If your employer can't give you the specific dates you request, they are obliged to tell you the dates you can take. Just make a formal request. I think you can request two weeks.

-Funk

I never thought it'd come to pass that there'd be handicapped prostitutes.
    Progress, I suppose.
    What? :confused:

Bonito wrote: »
    You do know your employer can't stop you taking your holidays, right?

They can, unfortunately.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/employment/employment-rights-and-conditions/leave-and-holidays/annual_leave_public_holidays
    It is for your employer to decide when annual leave may be taken, but this is subject to a number of conditions

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Where did these "Very good people of Boards" come from, who are they, and who let em in?:confused:
    23m61oh.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

ejmaztec wrote: »

I dunno. But I don't like the sounds of it.. if I see one copy of 'Alive' lying about the place Im out of here...

<_<

>_>

• Advertisement

Stee wrote: »
    From that link.
    There are 3 different ways of calculating your annual leave entitlement:

* Based on the employee's working hours during what is called the leave year, which runs from April to March. An employee who has worked at least 1,365 hours in the leave year (that is, an average working week of 26.25 hours) is entitled to the maximum of 4 weeks' annual leave. Many employers use the calendar year (January-December) instead of the official leave year to calculate entitlement
    * By allowing 1/3 of a working week for each calendar month in which the employee has worked at least 117 hours
    * 8% of the hours worked in the leave year, subject to a maximum of 4 weeks

Yes they can tell you when you can take your holidays but, they can't turn around and tell you you're not getting any holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

Stee wrote: »
    There are also a dickload of people out there with **** jobs with **** pay and **** working conditions thanks to greedy management using the recession as an excuse to cut back, that are told to shut up and be happy because they have a job. Yeah there are unemployed who are arguably worse off, but that doesnt mean the employed should be going around singing sunshine lollipops and rainbows all day

EDIT: Damn you luvbulmers01

No, you shouldn't have your rights "squashed" But if i was told that because it was so busy, i'd have to work the whole summer with no holidays, i'd jump at it. There may be plenty of time for holidays in the Winter when it's probably less busy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Banned Account

Spa treatments? SPA TREATMENTS?

Oh la-di-da it Mrs Patrick fcukin' Dempsey!

You're really going to town on her, aren't ya?

Yes they can tell you when you can take your holidays but, they can't turn around and tell you you're not getting any holidays.

True, but there are some asshole managers out there that can say when you cannot take holidays during a certain period, in the OPs case, the entire summer. Thats rough.

Wait, if they agreed earlier in the year to give you your weeks or two holidays over the summer, and you book your holidays etc and they come back a couple months later and tell you that you have to wait until after summer now to take your holidays can you tell them to fúck off?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Wait, if they agreed earlier in the year to give you your weeks or two holidays over the summer, and you book your holidays etc and they come back a couple months later and tell you that you have to wait until after summer now to take your holidays can you tell them to fúck off?

AFAIK and from my experience in work, yes. Could be wrong but I think once they have approved time off with you and you have given them advanced notice, they can't renege on it.

OK op if you were already granted your holidays and now they've changed their mind, tell them to fúck off and go on your holidays.

(I'd give citizens advice a ring 1st) :D

I'd say so, unless they are heartless bastards. I assume once its agreed with the employer then its ok, but I'd always book the time off work before booking a holiday anyway.

An example of the law, although not in Ireland, is AT&T mobile network in the US. All retail staff are barred from taking holidays/leave during the month of June to facilitate the launch of the iPhone and are expected to work extra hours where possible

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

:o

have some etiquette and wait at least more than a day before using the same line. ;)

Advertisement