Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop on Motorbike...

Options
  • 21-09-2008 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭

Does anyone on here carry a laptop on a motorbike?

I'll be riding to college on a Honda Innova 125 soon and just want to know what would be the best way to carry my beloved laptop along with me.

Would it best in the carry box (come to think of it it wouldn't fit I'd say) or should I put it in a bag on my back.

Anyone have previous experience of this...

Comments

I used to carry one in a backpack. I dreaded every bump in the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Buy a pelicase 1495 for the laptop, they are expensive but will protect it from the worst abuse that you can dish out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Just use a Laptop bag or something like this it has a protective case to put a laptop in.
    It should be alright if it cant move around in a bag, i would be worried about the rain though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭rs

I commute for approx 45 mins each way with laptop in backpack. Never had any problems. Backpack is a standard HP laptop backpack which is pretty well padded. It's never leaked, even in the heaviest rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

As the others said, get a laptop back pack. Just be careful about the laptop getting wet when it rains!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Laptop backpack it is then...pity though cos I've grown so accustomed to my Lowe Alpine bag (the first ever decent bag I've had...it's never ripped!).

Thanks for the advice guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

Go to a camping store and pick up one of the waterproof covers for backpacks to put over the laptop bag, and you'll have a wee bit more peace of mind in terms of rain protection. Shouldn't cost much, just ensure you get the right size and not one for a huge camping backpack!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I carry my laptop in my lowealpine bag all the time, i just bought a neoprene case for my laptops and throw them in to the bag as is. I dont like those laptop bags, i find they're a bit on the large side.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The weight of my main laptop is too much to want on my back for too long and so it's really just used as a desktop now, never had any trouble with the bag leaking in the rain when I have carted it about with me though. Just have a tiny eeepc for carrying around now though and that fits fine into any bag and has no harddrive to worry about shaking about either.

I have a pouch for it already...it's a Dell XPS M1330 and Dell included a snug fit pouch for it. No strap or handle on it though so I used to put it in my Low Alpine bag when I was cycling to college, on top of a book and lay the bag flat on it's back on the carrier on the back of the bike and had no problems.

Never had a spill but I'd imagine it's be pretty f*cked if I happened to have a spill on the motorbike with it on my back!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Johnathon

I always put my laptop in my Backpack staight up. I never had any problems. I wouldn't have rode in heavy rain with it like that though....

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

robinph wrote: »
    The weight of my main laptop is too much to want on my back for too long and so it's really just used as a desktop now, never had any trouble with the bag leaking in the rain when I have carted it about with me though. Just have a tiny eeepc for carrying around now though and that fits fine into any bag and has no harddrive to worry about shaking about either.

+ 1 for the eeepc. Nice and light and cheap enough to carry around all day without worrying too much about it getting damaged or going missing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

EVERYTHING and i mean EVERYTHING gets shoved inside me leather jacket, its gas ill get off the bike and look like a serious fat bastard with bread, 2 litres of milk, bikkies and other sh1it down there. I used have a tank bag but it was incredibly annoying.... My advice op is a handy sized schoolbag with two straps that u can put on your back and a strap across the front that ties the two straps together thus making it impossible for it to fall off or be taken off you.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Fazer6

I've been carrying mine in the topbox on my bike for the last four years with no problem so far.

Fazer6

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I use a normal backpack... I don't care if the laptop gets damaged! It's my work laptop. Actually I wish it got damaged cos it's a piece of cr@p and I want a new one! :P

"Drop" it off the bike!

My laptop has everything for me and I've not backed much of it really plus it was pretty expensive (about a 1200!) which for me is a fortune so...

If it's lasted me on the bicycle though I'm sure it will on the motorbike!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Dano954

Just be careful with anything on your back, if ya take a spill f** the laptop it's the spinal injuries that make me cringe, I've heard a lot of bad stories on such things happening, It's expensive but I've recently been using a Ventura luggage system on my blade with laptop wrapped up snugly inside http://www.ventura-bike.co.uk/ tasty system.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I just use the laptop's original padded bag and lash it into my top box. Have had no problems to date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I carry around the Asus EEEPC 901 in a small Jansport shoulder bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bmcgov86

its very annoying bringing a laptop and your bike chain and locks all in one bag!! not to mention all my notes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I've been using a standard waterproofed backpack for about 8 years and have never had any problem. I just put an old scarf in the bottom of the bag to provide some cushion against bumps.

I was going to put it in it's sleeve and through it in the topbox but then I have to carry my books in a rucksack anyway so I'm just going to through the books (the heavier of the lot) into the topbox and cushion the laptop in the topbox.

Advertisement