Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How easy to replace a egr valve on corolla?

Options
  • 14-11-2013 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

hiya the engine light came on in the car and i dropped it into the toyota dealers. i presume they hooked it up to the computer cos they told me they cleaned out the egr valve hoping it would be ok after that but if not they would have to replace the valve. engine light did go out for a week but back on now.

was looking at the price of them valves and thought of getting one myself secondhand and popping it in myself. i'm not that savvy with cars, can do a service i.e. oil change and filters lets say but nothing else. is it straightforward enough? or is it the kind of part i should get new?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

What year is car?

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

sorry 00 1.4 3-door

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

breadbin wrote: »
    sorry 00 1.4 3-door

2000 Corolla diesel didn't have a 1.4 engine option, did it??

its a petrol 1.4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaCTo7fx2fw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This is the 1.8 petrol i presume same location as 1.4 petrol

Ive not touched a corolla erg but other cars usually bolt on with 2 or 3 bolts

Plenty of carb cleaner and a tooth brush works wonders. Although on a diesel renault I had to chip off the gunk as it baked on due to a turbo failure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

The 2000 1.4 petrol corolla doesn't have an EGR valve!
    Are you sure it wasn't the MAF meter..

PADRAIC.M wrote: »
    The 2000 1.4 petrol corolla doesn't have an EGR valve!
    Are you sure it wasn't the MAF meter..

no the guy in the dealers, the mechanic said they cleaned out the egr valve to see if it would work. you sure they dont have one? its a 2000 petrol, 1.4 3dr hatch. would like to know if this is true cos i wont be bringing it back to them if they're a bunch of lying b'stads.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

There's a lot of guesswork because you didn't supply the full car model etc in the first post.

Is this the 1.4 VVT-I?
    Does it look like http://c0.carsie.ie/d43864c90df075c94489ddbe4ca5ffe9635fa26cb65047f83aa9de1c14d4bb54.jpg?

What code was read off the car? Did they tell you?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,271 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I replaced the valve in my 00 1.6 quite easily.

What i did was take off the air intake cover and its literally at the end of that.

The valve was 150 quid off the Main Toyota dealer.

biko wrote: »
    There's a lot of guesswork because you didn't supply the full car model etc in the first post.

Is this the 1.4 VVT-I?
    Does it look like http://c0.carsie.ie/d43864c90df075c94489ddbe4ca5ffe9635fa26cb65047f83aa9de1c14d4bb54.jpg?

What code was read off the car? Did they tell you?

yeah its the 3 door version of that, vvti is right. they said the error code was P0170 and after googling it seems its the MAF sensor and not the egr. gonna disconnect the battery tonight for a few minutes ad see does it come back on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

If it is the MAF I have a 00 1.4 VVTI and had a MAF sensor issue. Mine was needing to be floored to move, then power would come unpredictable. Looked like a bad learner driver. To confirm, on mine simply unplug the wire to sensor and it was improved. Picked up one on eBay and all works well.

thanks got it sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

And the solution was............??

(In the interests of helping the next person with the same problem)

Advertisement