Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Skoda Octavia Dash failure

• 14-11-2013 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Folks,

The dash panel in my wifes 2009 Octavia has died. Of course thanks to 'advances' in car design, the dash panel also includes the immobiliser, so now the car won't run.

From what I can find out, I can't use a secondhand dash panel, since the panels are 'coded' one-time only.

So, 3 options

1) 500 euro odd for the panel from Skoda

2) Send it to one of the repair places in the UK (180 euro odd for repair, or 50 euro inspection fee if they deem it non-repairable)

3) DIY. If I could get the pin-out diagram for the connector on the back of the dash, (or a complete schematic), one of the electronics geniuses in my work will have a look at it. But of course he needs the pinout/schematic to see where to safely apply power. I have found pinout diagrams online for 2001 and 2004 model, but not for the newer one. Don't suppose anyone has such a thing?

Any other suggestions gratefully received.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 joefish1

I have a number for the chap that did mine .. he is based in the east and was very fast and thorough ... You can pm if you want his number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭enumbers

kc systems in cork have done a lot of cluster repairs for us and have found them very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

As above. Give KC Systems a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 fpm

Thanks very much for the suggestions guys.

Actually, one of the electronics guys here in work managed to figure out which pins were for power, and got the dash powered up on the bench. We took it back to the garage, where we asked them to plug it back into the car...and it powered up and the car ran fine! Cue much headscratching...

Now we didn't actually do anything to 'fix' the PCB, other than look at it, so either there was some moisture in there that dried out, or in handling the board we managed to bump a solder connection which had become cracked, or the contact in the dash plug was bad...or something. Anyway, the car is running fine now, but my wife is nervous about driving it, since we didn't actually fix anything, that the same thing will happen her again, and maybe not so lucky again that it happens in our driveway like this time! So I took the dash back out, and have completely split the instruments down to the bare PCB, to try to have a really good look. I'll post again if we make any discoveries, just for the sake of the next person who has something similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

OP, is the battery in the car ok? There seems to be something of an emerging trend for oddball faults being caused by a duff battery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 fpm

Yes, the battery in the car seems to be OK, voltage reads good. On Monday the guy in work resoldered all the contacts on the back of the header on the PCB. He couldn't see any broken tracks, but he resoldered them anyway just in case. I gave both the pins in the PCB header and the contacts in the car plug a good dose of contact cleaner, and put it all back together. Have been driving the car all week since, and no problems to date. Fingers crossed...

Advertisement