Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Replaced air filter and noisy

Options
  • 01-11-2013 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭

Hiya, have 08 1.9 TDI Touran and replaced cabin filter today, had a VW one in it and replaced it with a blueprint one. Fits in fine and I believe is in correctly.

But when the fans on it's noisy, almost like a rattle. I'm thinking the air is blowing through and the filter isn't stiff enough and hence is rattling.

Any ideas?

Be gentle, first time doing this :) All of this and my next servicing steps were inspired by volvomans servicing thread (yes I know it's a different car I just mean someone highlighting what can be done and that got me going)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Maybe put the old one back in just to check.

But its the perfect time of year for that crispy rattle of dry leaves stuck in the system.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

whizbang wrote: »
    Maybe put the old one back in just to check.

But its the perfect time of year for that crispy rattle of dry leaves stuck in the system.:)

Cheers, good idea I will give that a go to confirm. If it's silent and if something is stuck in there any suggestions for clearing it - run system without filter for a few minutes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

I think it was a Mondeo i had that problem with. Not sure really.

Pull out the filter, leave it open, run the fan full blast with all the vents closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Turns out no issue in the end. First time I ever did it but sound stopped a day or two later, perhaps when moisture is brought in to filter makes it heavier less likely for it's parts to rattle/shake against each other. Original filter was VW/Valeo and replacement was blueprint.

Cheers Whizbang for the suggestions.

Advertisement