Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Making sense of Griffith's Valuation entries

• 31-08-2016 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

I found an entry in Griffith's Valuation that may be a great-great-grandfather; the only other info I have on him so far comes from his children's birth & baptism details:

http://imgur.com/a/veJlK (top image)

I have a few questions:

1) How do I work out the location on the map from the entry? There seems to be four columns of co-ordinates in the "Reference to Map" column:

1) a number
    2) a upper case letter
    3) another column of upper-case letters (and in Stephen's case, what appears to be either an X or a delta symbol?), and
    4) a lower-case letter.

So then went to the map by clicking on the relevant icon:

http://griffiths.askaboutireland.ie/gv4/single_layer/i8.php?lat=&longt=&dum=0&sheet=10&mysession=2506447103644&info=&place=&county=WEXFORD&placename=MONEYDURTLOW&parish=KILRUSH&country=Ireland&union=&barony=SCARAWALSH

I'm presented with a big red rectangle inside a white circle; any idea of the meaning of these? EDIT: Found this out from the, er, "Guide to Maps" button.

But I've no idea how to translate the four-column-coordinate above to this map, which at most seems to show only two coordinates for any area (number and letter).

PLus, another question: Stephen's co-tenant was a Mary Kehoe - might this have been his wife? Unusually to use a maiden name in this context, or even have a wife as a joint owner at this period, I would have thought.

Any help appreciated,

P.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

the colour maps are dated later - so the site numbers do not always match. Try switching to map version 4 or 5

You have to zoom in to the map to find the location, switching to the modern layer can help get you started

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

shanew wrote: »
    the colour maps are dated later - so the site numbers do not always match. Try switching to map version 4 or 5

You have to zoom in to the map to find the location, switching to the modern layer can help get you started
    Hmm, tried but with no luck; the maps differ and some have less detail, but none shows any greater details and the last two columns are still a mystery...

P.

The reference in the first column for this site is 6, upper case B, sub-site A, italic lower case a

site 6A and 6B are shown on maps 2 and 5, but the sub-sites are not specially indicated in this case. Parts of the maps are not available for the area - e.g. the southern section of map 5.

Based on the site location I'd say the Crimeen and Keogh households are likely these two buildings on the 1st edition OSI Map

Map 5 seems to be the best match - 6A is to the west of the road, and includes the school house, apparently crossed out.. it doesn't seem to be mentioned on the valuation, and is not shown on later maps. 6B starts south east of the road, and extends to the north.

• Advertisement

shanew wrote: »
    The reference in the first column for this site is 6, upper case B, sub-site A, italic lower case a

site 6A and 6B are shown on maps 2 and 5, but the sub-sites are not specially indicated in this case. Parts of the maps are not available for the area - e.g. the southern section of map 5.

Thanks; any idea why sub-sites were recorded in the column but not on the maps? Also just wondering your thought process as to why those are the correct houses? No long seem to exist sadly (maybe ruins, but looks like just fields now)

P.

oceanclub wrote: »
    .....Also just wondering your thought process as to why those are the correct houses? No long seem to exist sadly (maybe ruins, but looks like just fields now)

P.

That's the area I believe to be site 6B, and the valuation lists three houses for this, and as far as I can see just three houses are shown in this site on map 5. The larger one, I presume is John Strahan's (also has a higher valuation) since he is listed as occupying all the land, leaving just those two, which Stephen Crimeen and Mary Keogh lease from Mr. Strahan.

Am I right in thinking that Jeremiah Mullowney's entry (Ashroe, 9 A B a) corresponds to the buildings marked in a green circle?

http://i.imgur.com/PiFfVWa.png

http://i.imgur.com/ofy0HSk.png

P.

The older map 5 has the same references for that plot, so I go along with that being the correct location.

Advertisement