Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surname: Scott in Ireland

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

As Peregrinus said.

The last Methodist ran Primary School in the Republic closed in (I think) 1988.

It was at Corlespratten Methodist Church, near Arva, Co. Cavan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    As Peregrinus said.

The last Methodist ran Primary School in the Republic closed in (I think) 1988.

It was at Corlespratten Methodist Church, near Arva, Co. Cavan.

I don't want to start topic 'drift' but I suggest that secondary level is more important and that Wesley College (secondary level only) in D 16 holds it's head high among all secondary schools.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I think this thread ran its course in discussion of the Scott name quite some time ago.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

So I just had a break through...

Found the 1930 U.S Census and saw Michael P. Scott (William Scott's son) and his family listed there (all of which was correct).

The breakthrough connection to Ireland was that Michael (who was born in 1880 in New Jersey) was asked to write down where both his parents were born...

He wrote "Irish Free State" for both mother and father (The census specifically asked to differentiate NI with Irish Free State)

Conclusion: I can now cross Northern Ireland off the list. William Scott must have been born sometime between 1840 - 1860. We know his wife's name was Margaret Kelly.

Sadly the Irish Census has a massive gap between 1851 - 1901!!!

I wouldn't completely write off anything just based on that. I've often seen Northern Ireland and Irish Free State used incorrectly on US censuses. Aside from the general prevalence of inaccuracies, the division between the Irish Free State and Northern Ireland didn't exist when your ancestors were born. There easily will have been some things lost in translation.

mod9maple wrote: »
    May I also be so bold as to give you some advice, though please do take or leave it as you so wish. Don't get so caught up in your patriarchal lineage. I used to do that but then found myself watching a Youtube vid of Stephen Fry on stage in Sydney. He noted the fact that it's absurd that we concentrate on one family name when without so many other links in a chain we wouldn't exist.

I used to obsess about my surname. I do no longer. Every surname in my tree is as important as every other.

While I agree with you, the existence of Y-DNA testing now provides research possibilities that don't exist for other lines of your tree. There is also something to be said for having a heightened interest in the name you carry around all your life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

RGM wrote: »
    While I agree with you, the existence of Y-DNA testing now provides research possibilities that don't exist for other lines of your tree. There is also something to be said for having a heightened interest in the name you carry around all your life.

We are a product of all our ancestors

I would not be over protective of one's own surname. Probably 5, 10 or more per cent of our ancestral issue were non paternal events, just as likely in our paternal line as any other branch of our ancestry.

tabbey wrote: »
    We are a product of all our ancestors

I would not be over protective of one's own surname. Probably 5, 10 or more per cent of our ancestral issue were non paternal events, just as likely in our paternal line as any other branch of our ancestry.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Guys - we're veering massively off topic here. I think the Scott name part has run its course.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement