Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are these ultra popular TV shows really that good?

Options
  • 29-07-2015 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,075 ✭✭✭✭

I know this might go against what a lot of current fans believe, but I was wondering if these TV shows really are as great as people say they are?

These shows seem to be the topic of conversation at work constantly for the last few years, and to be honest I never really got into watching them as I didn't have the free time.

In fact I quit watching Breaking Bad near the end of the 1st series, it just wasn't doing anything special for me. But I listened to it being discussed ad nauseum at work and among friends, and you'd think I had something wrong with me for not watching it.

But still I didn't get caught up in the hype as each new super series was talked about. I put this down to Lost, which I committed to, and which wasted 5 years of my precious time!

So recently, Game of Thrones has been the real discussion topic. Being raved about like nothing that came before it. I searched IMDB and it got 9.5, better than any film in the history of cinema.

So last week I started watching it. Nearly at the end of Series 1 and although a very good TV show, I am struggling to see how it warrants 9.5. Does it get a lot better? I would score it at around 7. It's good but definitely not worth 9.5.

So is this hyping of TV series just that, hype. And marketing? Is it a sign of the times? The current hipster thing to rave about?

Or am I missing something and being too critical?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭squonk

I think myself you have to look at these shows in the context of what else is out there. By this I mean reality rubbish and variety contest shows like Briain's Got No Talent. Then you have to take into account the less stellar shows, like Mistreses etc. I think if you're comparing like with like, then Breaking Bad, GoT, Hannibal, The Wire etc. are exceptionally good by comparison.

That being said, that's OK if none of the shows appeal to you. I do think Breaking Bad started slow, and almost seemed to me like a different show. Over time though the show came into it's own. I think it's like albums. Some love Sgt. Pepper and some don't. Those who don't aren't freaks and those who do don't necessarily have exceptional taste.

Personally I'll call out a show that's just not living up to what I'd expect. You only have to look at the True Detective thread to recognise how much controversy the current season is sparking amongst the TV Boardsies here. I too have 'good' shows that I just don't really warm to. Hannibal and Boardwalk Empire are two of note. They're still good shows but they're just not for me.

I think here on Boards we're all fans. We probably watch more shows and a greater variety of genres than most other TV viewers. We probably readilly recognise quality more readilly than most. I think there are a lot of people out there who'll wathc GoT because they watch 2 hours of TV a night and have been told it's good. That and a handful of other shows are their entire exposure. Those shows are probably like nothing they've seen before so they'll naturally rave. It's also a bit like Soccer, it's something to talk about. I do think there's a certain herd mentality where people are told what to watch but if I had kids and limited time, I'd probably be in the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

squonk wrote: »
    Briain's Got No Talent.

Briain is a very nice man. He tries his best.

You don't have to like all shows. I like some shows that everyone else seems to hate (bad reality TV), and I hate some shows that everyone else seems to love (like Mad Men). Watch what makes you happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Like all forms of entertainment it comes down to individual opinions. You might not think they are great but it's obvious others do.

Sometimes I think people build up their expectations too high and lose how good a show is. If you look at imdb before starting a show or film and see it rating very highly you will go in with massive expectations and sometimes be let down. Now if you go in with no idea or expectation and are caught by surprise by how much you like a show then of course you will rate it highly.

Also I think the quality of TV has become so good compared to the past that it might take a lot to impress some people. Again to do with expectations. It is the same with films too.

I would say just because something doesn't tickle your fancy doesn't mean that thing in questions is just hype. I'd wager by the sounds of it you are over critical with to high of expectations.

Out of interest is there any tv show you rate highly?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,075 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I loved the Sopranos. Also the 1st series of True Detective. the Wire too. Also Love Hate. Six Feet Under.

I am not saying these shows are bad, I do agree that the quality output is now in TV and not cinema, but I am just surprised people rate a few of these TV series above everything in the history of cinema.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I loved the Sopranos. Also the 1st series of True Detective. the Wire too. Also Love Hate. Six Feet Under.

I am not saying these shows are bad, I do agree that the quality output is now in TV and not cinema, but I am just surprised people rate a few of these TV series above everything in the history of cinema.

To be honest In my view you can't compare TV and Film ratings together. yes they use the same scale (i.e imdb 1-10) but they are completely different.

When someone rates a TV show like True Detective 9.5/10 they are doing so comparing it to other TV shows not to Films. Just because they rate it this highly does not mean they think it is better than any film ever made but rather better than other tv shows.

What you find with TV shows is they gain a big audience and following, who come back and give good ratings as they like the show and are attached to it. For many films being standalones you don't have a big following rather people just seeing 1hr30mins+ (etc) and judging this, not an entire library of work, which to me is why you see the highest rated film on these sites being lower than the highest rated tv.

To summarise, most people won't say it is better than any film ever made, but rather best tv show. I would not use the ratings to compare things from different forms of media and would only use them to compare within their own section or category.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Love/hate was the greatest load of tripe rte ever spawned yet the sheeple went mad for it. Who the fcuk talks about what they watched on television at work? They must have very sad lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I find if something is hyped for a long time and you watch it with high expectations you can be disappointed. Honest trailers on youtube is great for picking out flaws in shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

these elite shows are the shows that the masses deem to be worth watching, these are the shows that can hold an audiences attention over 5-7 seasons, and that in itself is a feat, you see some shows rise and fall like the tide every year, 24 is a great example of that, but these shows that everyone generally raves about are the exception to 90%+ of tv shows available,

now that doesnt means its for you, i watched and loved the sopranos, but i must say it really felt like a effort to watch it at times, i dunno if id every re-watch it, id highly recommend it though, its a great show, one of my all time favorites,

but just cause parts of a show are bad, doesnt mean its a bad show, my buddy has re-watched sopranos 4 or 5 times, i was always more of a west wing fan myself, id re-watch that whenever i get a chance,

a 1-10 is a good way to judge a film or a album, its a once off, itll never be made again that way, but they only have that one chance to get it right, but tv shows evolve as they go, like you said Game of Thrones has a 9.5, thats a score that has been built over 5 seasons of the show, 5 years, now some people probably gave it a 10 after season 1, and never changed it since, they may have fallen out of love with it by now, but whos gonna go back and change their IMDB rating, while other have loved how the show has grown over the last few years, constantly building on the history of past seasons, and getting pay off for stories years in the making, a lot of shows can get that so wrong, i wouldnt judge a tv show by a 1-10 rating,

i dont really buy into hype any more, im not an average viewer, nobody here is, we are rabid tv fans here, ive been consuming tv like there is no tomorrow for the last 7-8 years, at one point i was watching 50+ shows a year, but now ive come to a stage where i just simply pick and chose what i want to watch, i dont listen to other opinions i dont check ratings, ill read about the show if it tickles my fancy ill give it a go, if i hear to many positives ill probably watch it with lower expectations cause i know ill be disappointed otherwise, and thats probably the hardest thing to do, lower your expectations,

id love to make up a list, i have done before, but all that remains constant on the list is that The West Wing is at the top, the others change, ive yet to see a show that entertains me that much, maybe when Game of Thrones finishes it might overtake it, its still ongoing so things can always change, its not finished yet so it cant properly be judged yet,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

I liked all of those.
    Have you seen Deadwood? If not, i'd suggest that. Great dialogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I know this might go against what a lot of current fans believe, but I was wondering if these TV shows really are as great as people say they are?

everyone is different and different shows grab people's attention

like you I think the West Wing is one of the best and I never really got grabbed by Breaking Bad, still on Series 2 and haven't gone back in a while. It's not like I thin it's a bad show or anything!

I also think a lot of shows go downhill and past their sell by date leaving people frustrated and disappointed - you mention Lost and I agree

GOT has hit a lot of issues this season, not least of which is because it is starting to deviate significantly in parts form the Books and will soon be actually further ahead than the books. It previously gained a lot of notice for some unorthodox approaches - particularly shock moments around characters and this continues to be the main interest it seems.

I have also noticed that a lot of posters are not really happy unless there is a lot of action GOT, The Walking Dead and True Detective are recent examples where episodes with battles or shootouts get much better reactions than dialogue and story. I guess that is just one aspect to populism

Another point is the sheer amount of TV shows how and their popularity. With Netflix as well as HBO now churning them out. They can be hyped up and marketed very well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,256 ✭✭✭✭Penn

In fairness though, with a TV show you have far, far more time to properly and slowly develop characters and create larger stories and worlds. A lot more time to show the audience what's happening as opposed to telling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I thought the first series of true deective was way overated, i watched first 8 episdes of got but stopped, ive only just started bb and am enjoying it so far, im nearly finished the first series of the returned (usa) on netflix and think its excellent,
    the only tv series that i think lives up to its hype is band of brothers

Totally forgot about BOB, one of the best things I ever watched on TV.

West Wing was also excellent, but I didn't watch this religiously, instead popping in and out of it. Was always impressed by it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I have never seen some of the show that people rave about.
    Love/Hate... never seen it, GoT..never seen it
    Could be missing out on either of them, keep meaning to watch them but never get around to it. Breaking bad, came highly recommended to me, and I loved it.
    Kind of indifferent to some popular shows, "big bang..." I could take it or leave it.
    HIMYM, makes me want to gouge my eyes out, insipid lifeless characters, what do people see in that show, I half think, it is trying to be family guy with there constant cut-away stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

While I understand it isn't always possible with work commitments I find it best to get in on the ground floor with these water coolers shows , otherwise certain plot points get spoilt or the show is hyped up so much there's no way it can meet your expectations right out of the gate. Whether this is true of the OP i have no idea but i find its true of 99% of people I know or people I've talked to online who don't love these shows.

I think the key question to ask when judging if a show is for you is, is it just a critic darlings? if you were talking about a show like say Rectify which is beloved by the critics but hasn't found a wide audience then I'd say yeh maybe its just not for you(Rectify makes Mad Men look like a Michael Bay film in term of pace) . But when a show is a critic and fan darlings then you have to ask yourself what's more likely, that the 99% of people who love it are all suffering some mass delusion or that it actually earned those accolades and gets really really ****ing good as it goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,504 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Who the fcuk talks about what they watched on television at work? They must have very sad lives.

Personally, I''d rather hear about what people watch on tv than listen to them prattling on about their kids or husbands.

Who the fcuk talks about what they watched on television at work? They must have very sad lives.

Well that's harsh, I'd say films/music/tv/books are all some of the most talked about things in work during casual conversation (sport too).

I know myself and 5/6 other colleagues during lunch would regularly discuss the latest episode of GoT the day after it aired or any film trailers we had seen. (or new tv shows coming out)

Just because you have no interest in it doesn't mean people who do "have very sad lives".

• Registered Users Posts: 33,256 ✭✭✭✭Penn

You sit in the same room as a few people for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, in many cases for a number of years. Yes, you talk about what you watched on television. Just like you talk about anything else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Love/hate was the greatest load of tripe rte ever spawned yet the sheeple went mad for it. Who the fcuk talks about what they watched on television at work? They must have very sad lives.

Any more so than talking about nothing but football?In my previous place of work thats all you'd hear all day,we're in with a chance this season,such a crowd have been relegated,Fergie said such and such etc etc.For someone like me with zero interest in Premiership football it made for some pretty drawn out days I can tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

darkdubh wrote: »
    Any more so than talking about nothing but football?In my previous place of work thats all you'd hear all day,we're in with a chance this season,such a crowd have been relegated,Fergie said such and such etc etc.For someone like me with zero interest in Premiership football it made for some pretty drawn out days I can tell you.

Not as bad as the truly awful "list of what I drank at the weekend" conversation.

Got something interesting to say about whether it should be acceptable to smash up Synths or whether Walter White was really a bad guy or not? Bring it on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

What should they talk about?

In my experience people talk about various things they like and what there interests are and so if people are interestedoin TV they are going to talk about.

There is even a thing called a water coooler show based on the concept that itls so popular everybody in work will be talking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Might just be me, but this thread has a little bit of "Oh I don't watch those popular shows, you've probably never heard of the shows I watch".

As for the hipster comment in the OP, I think it's more hipster to be all "meh" about the popular shows.

The "ultra popular" shows are ultra popular because they are, in a lot of viewers eyes, good! It's ok not to like them (I got bored of Mad Men in season 3) but I think it's a bit much to just lump in all those popular shows as stuff that isn't really good but people watch em anyway cause they need to have something to talk about at lunch on Monday.

GoT is a popular show. Friends was a popular show. The Wire was a popular show. Orange is the New Black is a popular show. You can't try to put them all in the same category and ask "Why do so many watch them?, "Are they really any good?". They are all different. The only thing they have in common is that they have large fan bases.

Someone mention HIMYM above. There's an example of a show that was really popular but most viewers would admit (at least on boards) was crap and they only stuck it out to see how it ended.

Then you have GoT. That's a really popular show and is genuinely thrilling and dramatic. Some may not like it's OTT violence or fondness of killing off characters JUST when you start to like them but many others love it.

With regards to talking about the shows at work. So what? If you've a common interest with your colleagues and you're sitting down to lunch, what's the big deal with talking about it? There's always a show or 2 that has people talking each season alright and non-viewers may feel out of the loop but again... so what? Are we all only supposed to talk about what "you" want to talk about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Modern Family, everyone raving about it. Didn't find it funny at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I'm into some of the usual suspect ultra-cool shows. Others leave me cold. I'd be a little wary of anyone who professed to love all the watercooler shows.

The Sopranos and Breaking Bad I'd rate as classics.

The Wire and Mad Men leave me cold.

True Detective 1 was a good show (not a great show, Eamon), True Detective 2....I have better things to be doing with my time.

I also watch Law and Order SVU as occasionally it still delivers. And I'd nominate The Good Wife as the best and most consistent show on network TV since The West Wing finished.

That's off the top of my head and I'd say I have pretty good taste in TV. I've been watching it since Renko and Buntz were breaking heads in Hill Street Blues and John Thaw was doing ditto in The Sweeney (yup, I love my cop shows).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭pavb2

I enjoyed the plot twists and acting in Mad Dogs series 1

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

It does vary - you won't ever like all of the popular shows. It also doesn't help when they're very hyped:

'Breaking Bad' and 'The Wire' are both shows I watched as they aired their first seasons so I came to love them based on what I was viewing without the expectation of them being "best thing evah!"

Whereas 'The Sopranos' leaves me fairly cold and 'Game of Thrones' is a bit over-rated. 'Mad Men' started off well but bored me by its end.

Plenty of other shows I'll also continue to enjoy watching, irrespective of a lack of critical acclaim or viewers. Water-cooler shows have diminished with torrents and "all-in-one" Netflix deliveries so as long as I've an outlet with forums like this to discuss things, and my show isn't cancelled (GRR NBC !!!) then I'm content.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Is homeland any good? Im thinking of giving that a go next

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Is homeland any good? Im thinking of giving that a go next

Yes, it's slow, but I thought it was very good.

Bacchus wrote: »
    Might just be me, but this thread has a little bit of "Oh I don't watch those popular shows, you've probably never heard of the shows I watch".

As for the hipster comment in the OP, I think it's more hipster to be all "meh" about the popular shows.

The "ultra popular" shows are ultra popular because they are, in a lot of viewers eyes, good! It's ok not to like them (I got bored of Mad Men in season 3) but I think it's a bit much to just lump in all those popular shows as stuff that isn't really good but people watch em anyway cause they need to have something to talk about at lunch on Monday.

GoT is a popular show. Friends was a popular show. The Wire was a popular show. Orange is the New Black is a popular show. You can't try to put them all in the same category and ask "Why do so many watch them?, "Are they really any good?". They are all different. The only thing they have in common is that they have large fan bases.

Someone mention HIMYM above. There's an example of a show that was really popular but most viewers would admit (at least on boards) was crap and they only stuck it out to see how it ended.

Then you have GoT. That's a really popular show and is genuinely thrilling and dramatic. Some may not like it's OTT violence or fondness of killing off characters JUST when you start to like them but many others love it.

With regards to talking about the shows at work. So what? If you've a common interest with your colleagues and you're sitting down to lunch, what's the big deal with talking about it? There's always a show or 2 that has people talking each season alright and non-viewers may feel out of the loop but again... so what? Are we all only supposed to talk about what "you" want to talk about?
    Me a hipster! If you knew me!

I'm not trying to be cool by wondering if these shows are overhyped. I am looking for a bit of feedback as I will probably watch some over the coming months and since I started supposedly the best, GOT, and found it not worthy of the hype I heard folk talk about, wondered should I go on. I will most likely, give it series 2 at least before deciding to stick with it or pack it in.

I would agree though that some shows are for some folk and others aren't, as I am discovering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

but then you have shows like person of interest which is probably the best show on network tv, and it gets little or no recognition on media sites, no one i know watches it, but its been delivering a top quality show the last 4 years, but as i said its not an ultra popular show, even though it pulls in twice if not 3 times the viewers shows like mad men, breaking bad or game of thrones do, but its not a media darling kind of show, so therefore doesnt fit into ultra popular category, a bull**** list thats just a crap shoot to get on in the first place,

just cause a show isnt nominated for awards year in year out doesnt mean its not worth watching, people seem like sheep to me at times when it comes to things like this, they fear being left out and are reluctantly to watch a shows thats not raved about, like i said no body i know is watching person of interest, not one person, ive mentioned it to probably 20-30 people at this point and have just given up recommending it, cause like i said noone is watching it, and no body is gonna take one persons recommendation, a great show, that no ones going to watch cause its not "popular"

people are just hilarious at times, theyll take what bob says as the bible, a guy who watches all of 4 shows a year, but a just ignore a guy who watches 30-40 and does all the heavy lifting for them, but sure what do we know,

Advertisement