Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Septic tank question

Options
  • 25-11-2012 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi All,

Hoping to get some info around septic tank systems as I know very little about them. Just recently moved into a house ( rented ), and there is a barrel or oil drum placed just under the ground at the side wall of the house with the lid area still exposed, its probably a 20litre drum. The main waste pipe from the house seems to be running into this and then I assume onto the septic tank. It is not sealed or anything just a rough hole cut in the lid and the pipe roughly lined up into with gaps all around. I can see and smell and the lovely stuff sitting about half way down in the drum (sorry for the graphics). I assume its running of to the septic tank ok or it would of overflowed by now but just wondering is this common practice to have like an intermediate unit? And if so, surely it should be sealed and buried so that rain cant flood it and smells are contained?..Also how often should a tank be emptied or is there any way of checking or knowing when it needs to be emptied?

Thanks a lot,
    BP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭jimjimt

Can you confirm is it a waste pipe or a 4" sewer pipe ?

It is possibly set up for a grease trap if it is waste pipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 BP1980

Hi, thanks for reply, yea it's the 4 inch sewer type pipe from the toilet. Ever seen that?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭jimjimt

Most likely it is just a large manhole. Normally you would have a collection of pipes together and then going to the septic tank.
    Or when you are dropping to a different level.

Or since it is a drum or half barrel it may have been use as a mini pumping station if the tank or pipeline was giving trouble.

Or if the kitchen sink and washing machine is tap in to that line, it maybe use as a grease trap.
    Best ask the landlord on the history of it. Also to get a proper manhole cover for obvious reasons.

Septic tanks if working correctly should never have to be emptied.
    That would mainly depend on how good the percolation area is.
    As such a septic tank is a organic process so be careful with the amount of chemical and stuff you put down the toilets. The less the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

some good suggestions and info there jimjimt
    jimjimt wrote: »
    Most likely it is just a large manhole. Normally you would have a collection of pipes together and then going to the septic tank.
    Or when you are dropping to a different level.

it could be a manhole like this but it shouldnt be holding matter, solid or liquid, it is possible with the high water table at the moment a septic tank and or percolation area are completely water logged, or there could be a blockage.
    Or since it is a drum or half barrel it may have been use as a mini pumping station if the tank or pipeline was giving trouble.

I completely missed out on this possibility when I read this topic earlier. in cases where ground levels rise away from a dwelling sometimes a sump is installed where the sewage flows to and collects, this is then pumped up to the septic tank. This is done to reduce excavation and provide easier access for maintanace. by the op description this could be a rough diy sump.
    Septic tanks if working correctly should never have to be emptied.
    That would mainly depend on how good the percolation area is.
    As such a septic tank is a organic process so be careful with the amount of chemical and stuff you put down the toilets. The less the better.

Well almost never, you could be talking 20 years before a correctly sized and working septic tank needs to be emptied.

yea go easy on the bleach and stuff you throw down the sink and toilets, they may be good at killing germs, but too much will harm the good "bugs" in the tank
    Best ask the landlord on the history of it. Also to get a proper manhole cover for obvious reasons.

yea and in fairness it should be the landlord sorting it out

• Registered Users Posts: 16 BP1980

Thanks a lot for the replies, great info there, ill definitely be having a chat with the landlord to get him to sort it, just wanted to know if it was ok first. Right enough the garden feels quite water logged so this could be why there's stuff sitting in it? Anyway ill get onto him and see what's it all about, thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Queen Maeve

Hi there,
    I logged on to see if i could get help with a problem I am having with septic tank odours. The bad smell is not coming form the septic tank itself or percolation area, but my guest bathroom and bedroom have a horrible smell fairly constantly, with brief respites.:( It's a new house and system, up to date , all requirements fulfilled. I moved in in mid Dec and have tried various solutions - a second vent pipe was put in, when we realised that there wasn't one at back of house. This seemed to clear up smell in toilet back there, but not the worst one, which is at front of house - if anything it got worse!
    More recently I got a baceriological agent - Super Chemzyne V - and put that down twice now, to increase the bacteria. I thought it had worked the second time a few days ago - the smell went for 2 days - well vastly reduced, I should say! But then yesterday it was bad as ever again. Truly horrible!
    I cannot have anyone to stay there as it would be impossible to sleep in the bedroom, which stinks with gas.
    PLease help anyone out there who might know what the soulution is - I/m not sure if the Chemzyne was the best thing, but only one i could get, as I know not to use the heavy duty cleaning ones. I'm not sure if that has some kind of cleaning agent in it as well, as they say it clears grease too.
    I don't use any chemicals in loos; I only use all eco products for toilets, cleaning and washing up -0 and those sparingly!
    HELP! - it's driving me crazy - lovely new house, horrible smell!

Advertisement