Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Combi Boiler

Options
  • 28-01-2013 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

Hi Guys,
    just looking for advice on a gas combi boiler ,my folks have decided on a gas combi as they dont use much water only one bathroom with electric pumped shower,no huge demand on water,the pressure is very good in the area so that shouldnt be a problem,just wondering why their not that popular here but are in the uk and which make of combi would you guys recommend,and any advice regarding them,thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

They are becoming more popular.
    The issue is generally poor mains supply & poor quality in general. Mains pressure here fluctuates quite a bit. This can play havoc with a combi. The other & probably more wide spread issue is the quality of the mains. Unfortunately, in Ireland mains is generally full of lime, which will in no time destroy a combi heat exchanger.
    Before deciding, test the mains for calcium.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭bazbrady

yeah i have heard this but am very confident the water is very soft and is high pressure,i grew up in this area of dublin ,definitely soft water,limescale non existence unlike where i live now outside dublin,and the pressure is consistently good some times its too high as ive had issues with washing machines and dishwasher not filling due to too high pressure on income side solenoid valve not opening so id trottle back the inlet ball valve,so any advice,recomendations on makes of combi,?:)

If those criteria are met, then there should be no issues with installing a combi, only accessing the pipework the serve.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭310

make sure you powerflush system and leave magnet on for week or more as heat exchanger for hot water is very fine will clog up easly advise you to fit mangaclean on return to boiler not conpatable with solid fuel

thanks guys for the replies,they are thinking of going with either a worchester(bosch) or a viesmann combi,anybody have any preferences on either make or another which is as reliable and has as long a guarantee as both these makes..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭domcq

I'm thinking of doing something similar in Dublin 12 bazbrady - what did you go for in the end and how is it working out?

hi dom,there still looking into it but have narrowed it down to a worchester/bosch when they can afford it and get around to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭310

very good boiler

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

I recently ripped out my entire hot press and had a worchester/bosch combi boiler installed where the old gas boiler was in the kitchen. Am very happy (apart from the noisy pump, different story...). But you can't beat instant hot water and being able to extend my small bathroom into where the hot press was.

ok so they finally got around to putting in a viesmann combi and are extremely happy with the whole system..there is only two of them in the house ,they dont use the bath and have electric shower so the combi is ideal,,,extremely quiet ,,and hot water after 30 secs...very impressed with it...also this make viesmann has one of the longest guarantees on the stainless heat exchangers around...

• Advertisement

bazbrady wrote: »
    ok so they finally got around to putting in a viesmann combi and are extremely happy with the whole system..there is only two of them in the house ,they dont use the bath and have electric shower so the combi is ideal,,,extremely quiet ,,and hot water after 30 secs...very impressed with it...also this make viesmann has one of the longest guarantees on the stainless heat exchangers around...
    Why on earth would you fit a combi boiler with a bath that is rarely used & an electric shower? What's the point of the combi? You have a nice combi that can nicely deliver to a shower very economically but then heat the shower with a 9.5kw element that's like boiling more than 3 kettles at the same time. The most uneconomic way of heating water!

sorry shane but id have to disagree with you regarding electric showers ,they may be 9-10kw but they are only on for a few minutes,i had a power shower in my house and removed it as id heat the tank of water and with the pressure ity put out the tank would nearly empty and once of twice i nearly had a cold shower at the end,in my opinion storing heated water is one of the major inneficient ways of using energy in this and other countries.we should only heat what we use hence why electric showers have become so popular...also i was under the impression that combi were hard to use with a bath you would not get enough hot water to fill it and flow rates etc become a problem.....ive heard lots of feedback regarding this from people that have them..also the install was relativley straight forward if they were to have the combi used for the showers it required alot more work,,as i said its only two of them in the house,i can see your point regarding the shower but im not an expert and not sure how much more the elctric shower would cost in comparison to the combi but from what ive heard they are not great with filling large baths etc.

My point is if you have gone to the trouble of installing a combi, why not have it serving the shower.
    Every 10 minute electric shower costs €0.30. You would be long with a family of four running up a nice with bill every 2 months.
    The combi is heating only the amount required also albeit the volume of water in the pipe from start up.

I have always advised fitting a electric shower with combis:eek: when practical.

This is to allow a back up hot water source if the combi ever goes down.

gary71 wrote: »
    I have always advised fitting a electric shower with combis:eek: when practical.

This is to allow a back up hot water source if the combi ever goes down.

Perhaps but that is additional to main shower.

shane0007 wrote: »
    Perhaps but that is additional to main shower.

Mostly, but a costly shower can become a godsend if the boiler breaks down and your meeting the woman of your dreams in the morning;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Yeah but then you could just if an Ariston, they don't break down surely do they? :D:D:D:D:D

DGOBS wrote: »
    Yeah but then you could just if an Ariston, they don't break down surely do they? :D:D:D:D:D

I hear that if they do the rather dashing looking tech comes round to hold up a holey bucket at bath times, this is a incentive to get it fixed ASAP.

Lufa and speedos optional;)

Advertisement