Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CP to Marriage Upgrade Celebration

Options
  • 06-07-2015 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭

Hi

We got a CP a few years ago, went the whole hog, registry office for close family and then a big bash the following weekend with a mini ceremony, speeches, band, dancing etc. for friends and extended family.

So after the referendum we got engaged and will marry next year hopefully. I'm slightly at a loss as to how to celebrate our marriage with friends and family. The full wedding reception doesn't seem appropriate as we did that a few years ago for our CP but we still want to mark it in a special way.

Has anyone gone through this thought process?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

I suppose you could tackle it the same way as lots of married couples who renew their vows? Re-invite your guests and tell them it's time to upgrade your CP to a marriage. I'm sure they'd all be completely understanding and would be willing to attend. Following that, just do whatever you want! It's your only wedding day so do whatever you feel will make it memorable and special :)

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Griffinx

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    I suppose you could tackle it the same way as lots of married couples who renew their vows? Re-invite your guests and tell them it's time to upgrade your CP to a marriage. I'm sure they'd all be completely understanding and would be willing to attend. Following that, just do whatever you want! It's your only wedding day so do whatever you feel will make it memorable and special :)

Thanks for the message. I guess I'm looking for ideas for a celebration with ~100 or so people that doesn't feel like a wedding reception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

House party perhaps? Doesn't have to have a massive number of people can just be a celebration with close friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

What would be a fun night for you? Some weddings seem forced trying to please too many people. Think of what would be a great fun party for you then plan around that. It's a celebration for you and your partner. Don't overthink it or try to meet existing expectations of weddings. Too many are just cookie cutter and the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

Griffinx wrote: »
    Hi

We got a CP a few years ago, went the whole hog, registry office for close family and then a big bash the following weekend with a mini ceremony, speeches, band, dancing etc. for friends and extended family.

So after the referendum we got engaged and will marry next year hopefully. I'm slightly at a loss as to how to celebrate our marriage with friends and family. The full wedding reception doesn't seem appropriate as we did that a few years ago for our CP but we still want to mark it in a special way.

Has anyone gone through this thought process?

My husband and I got our civil partnership a few years ago and we consider ourselves to be married. We will be "upgrading" once the legislation is passed (although this could be a year away :() but will not be having another big day out as we have already done this.
    We are planning on doing the upgrade and then going for dinner with immediate family and maybe some close friends as a way of marking the occasion. Its more like a renewal of our vows rather than a big event.

If you want a party and not have it be like a wedding you could hire a room in a pub and have a party like you would for a birthday or if you have the space you could have a BBQ at home..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Griffinx

Thanks for the replies all, much appreciated. Id be happy with a small party for close family and friends but fiancée wants something larger so we might do marquee/bbq, something very informal next summer.

Still cant believe we will be married. 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

Myself and my partner are in the same boat. We had our Civil Partnership a few years ago and want to do the 'upgrade' on our anniversary. We dont feel right about having another big day so we are considering having a house party, maybe have a big marquee out the back and have a pretty informal get together.

Advertisement