Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United FC for 2014?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

There was previously a thread about Galway United in this forum with over 1,500 posts before it was locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah it stopped when the team did. I'm pretty sure there is a GUFC thread in all-encompassing Soccer forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Mars Bar wrote: »
    How could anyone be sick of the topic?

There is next to no coverage of soccer in Galway.

May I suggest changing your reading habits to buying more than the local Dublin national newspapers. There's several pages every week in the senitnel, there's always overage in both versions of the tribune and the advertiser treats every sport as badly as each other.

And I'm sick of hearing it in the sports news on Sundays on GBFM.

You were obviously too cool to go Anto so you should probably keep the uninformed BS for other threads.

What were the attendance figures when the club folded? 774 for a premier division match against Bohemians (who probably brought 100 of them) isn't exactly stellar. It's not an exaggeration to say that I've seen more at U14 hurling matches.

What's your opinion on the rumours that the comer group are backing the new club?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

antoobrien wrote: »
    What were the attendance figures when the club folded? 774 for a premier division match against Bohemians (who probably brought 100 of them) isn't exactly stellar. It's not an exaggeration to say that I've seen more at U14 hurling matches.

What's your opinion on the rumours that the comer group are backing the new club?
    A damn sight more than the half dozen you suggested anyway, and sure if watching u-14s is your thing then maybe stick to it and let the rest of us enjoy our foreign game.
    As for the Comers its nowt more than rumours so no point discussing it.

• Advertisement

A damn sight more than the half dozen you suggested anyway, and sure if watching u-14s is your thing then maybe stick to it and let the rest of us enjoy our foreign game.

If 700 is the best you can do for the current champions (15,000 came to Salthill to see Kilkenny in the league), that's kinda sad.
    As for the Comers its nowt more than rumours so no point discussing it.

http://www.connachttribune.ie/galway-news/item/1313-president-higgins-helps-broker-soccer-deal
    The Comer Group has confirmed it will financially back the new venture, and details on the exact deal will be announced in the coming weeks.

Oops, looks like the hurlers know more about what's going on in soccer than the soccer fans do.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

May I suggest changing your reading habits to buying more than the local Dublin national newspapers. There's several pages every week in the senitnel, there's always overage in both versions of the tribune and the advertiser treats every sport as badly as each other.

And I'm sick of hearing it in the sports news on Sundays on GBFM.

Ah god love ya...

If 700 is the best you can do for the current champions (15,000 came to Salthill to see Kilkenny in the league), that's kinda sad.

http://www.connachttribune.ie/galway-news/item/1313-president-higgins-helps-broker-soccer-deal

Oops, looks like the hurlers know more about what's going on in soccer than the soccer fans do.

First off i think comparing LOI and GAA is a non-starter, unless you havent grasped that, might want to put some context into your points, was that 15000 at one of your u-14 games maybe?

And when you can show me the details of their investment as opposed to rumours or soundbites on potential deals then you might have something, but until then i think we are all capable of reading newspapers.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

Hurling is our national sport. Of course it draws bigger crowds.

I was at that Galway v Kilkenny league game. It was awesome!

Please revert to the topic.

First off i think comparing LOI and GAA is a non-starter, unless you havent grasped that, might want to put some context into your points, was that 15000 at one of your u-14 games maybe?

It's a non starter only because it shows just how few people care about local/national soccer competitions vs local/national hurling/football competitions.

The match in question was the first league match, a competition that ranks somewhere along side the league cup in England, nice to win but don't go out of the way for it. But still more people came to that match than showed up in Terryland all year.

Nah, just the equivalent to the LOI, the NHL - or the second competition in national hurling.

I have been at U14 matches with over 1,000 people there though, which kinda shows just how few people really give a flying ...... about Galway soccer.
    And when you can show me the details of their investment as opposed to rumours or soundbites on potential deals then you might have something, but until then i think we are all capable of reading newspapers.

I could give you details, but you'd still be in denial about it (like you were eearlier). Besides, don't the GUST membership have the right to reject this lifeline?

Maybe the comers would be better off approaching the FAI and/or Galway FA directly.

• Advertisement

Paddyfield wrote: »
    Please revert to the topic.

I'm surprised there had been no discussion here regarding Galway United's future

The topic being why there's no dicsussion of the future (hence relevance) of the club. The half dozen of you ;) hadn't realised just how irrelevant galway soccer is to the sporting landscape.

I'll have to ask the Mellowes lads how many showed up the to stadium last night for the U13s, and compare to a Salthill v Merview match.

It's a non starter only because it shows just how few people care about local/national soccer competitions vs local/national hurling/football competitions.

The match in question was the first league match, a competition that ranks somewhere along side the league cup in England, nice to win but don't go out of the way for it. But still more people came to that match than showed up in Terryland all year.

Nah, just the equivalent to the LOI, the NHL - or the second competition in national hurling.

I have been at U14 matches with over 1,000 people there though, which kinda shows just how few people really give a flying ...... about Galway soccer.

I could give you details, but you'd still be in denial about it (like you were eearlier). Besides, don't the GUST membership have the right to reject this lifeline?

Maybe the comers would be better off approaching the FAI and/or Galway FA directly.
    Nice to see you are keeping the whole thing off topic by comparing GAA and LOI, nobody is saying LOI is near as popular as GAA, youre basically validating an argument that nobody is having bar you. You are obviously right that nobody cares about soccer in Ireland, minority sport, no participation, table tennis u-12's that you've been to have more paying spectators than international friendlies sure.
    And on your Comers bit please feel free to give me details of it, how am I in denial, about what, theres no credible source to state exactly what they are investing, how the fudge is anyone supposed to know then? I suppose half arsed rumours and stories without detail are what constitutes news for you but to me i like a bit of detail then i'll know the facts and can talk about it, continue anyway with your next round of rumour, nonsense arguments and stories from u-10's Badminton. Oh and i'll add one of these just for you :rolleyes:

Nice to see you are keeping the whole thing off topic

The topic is the future - hence relevance - of the club.

Nice to see you're still in denial about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Didn't help that they changed the connacht rugby matches to the same time on the same night as the soccer games. Also the fact that you can get a pint up at the rugby and not in Terryland (Eamonn Deacy Park). I know a load of people who just tag along to the rugby just cause you can get a pint.

A good few of you don't have any interest in it but an awful lot of us spent our childhood going to Galway United matches in both Terryland and Crowley Park with absolutely massive crowds in attendance, with incredible atmospheres. Can remember banging the hoardings around both stadiums with many others on countless nights. It was some intimidating atmosphere for the opposition teams and I would love if that could come back. Yes, it will take a lot of hard work and fair play to GUST for sticking at it, but why not get behind it? Whats the worst that it can do....entertain those who like it, take a few kids off the streets for a few hours, give something for talented local lads to aim for.

I don't think I've ever celebrated goals for any of the teams I support, and I will include Ireland in that, than I have for Galway United. I for one, would love to see it back in whatever united form, and see it back for good

Didn't help that they changed the connacht rugby matches to the same time on the same night as the soccer games. Also the fact that you can get a pint up at the rugby and not in Terryland (Eamonn Deacy Park). I know a load of people who just tag along to the rugby just cause you can get a pint.

The attendances were going down a long time before Connacht took advantage of the early Friday & Saturday slots, as well as the ability to get into the dogs for next nothing, it really makes for a good night.

Also the switch to summer soccer (competing directly against gaa club matches, wtf were the FAI thinking) and the unavailability of the traditional game times (due to chaing work patterns and TV coverage of foreign leagues) has done a lot more to damage attendances than the changes to the times of connacht rugby matches.

Still though, there's only between 3k & 9k going to those (rugby) matches.

The topic is the future - hence relevance - of the club.

Nice to see you're still in denial about that.

And it quite clearly is relevant given the amount of discussion in both the media and online, so maybe you might just have to accept that and go back to the u-11's swimming and quit trolling this thread with your GAA bias.

And it quite clearly is relevant given the amount of discussion in both the media and online, so maybe you might just have to accept that

The only reason it's being discussed in the media is because the tribune group (including GBFM) don't want to be seen as being anti-soccer (seeing as the sports editor is a hurler that's never going to be accepted).

The complaint from Mrs OBumble, which I heartily agree with, is all the attention for a defunct club that failed because of lack of interest from the people of Galway is rather pathetic really.

774 people at a home match (against one of the top 5 in the league at the time) vs the 4,000 at the rugby match against the league whipping boys on Saturday kinda speaks to soccer's position in the pecking order in Galway. So yeah, the attention that non existent Galway utd is getting is rather baffling.

Galway Utd failed after less than 35 years in operation. Will the new entity see 5?
    go back to the u-11's swimming and quit trolling this thread with your GAA bias.

You should be thankful to the gaa in Galway, after all two of Galway Utd's biggest ever matches were played at GAA grounds because of terryland wasn't up to the (low at the time given the pitch in carraroe had to be roped off) european standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Alright guys. Stop with the sniping, it's really not pleasant to read, and it adds nothing to the discussion.

If you can't post here with resorting to little passive aggressive comments, then I suggest you go the way of the proverbial shepherd, and 'get the flock out of here!' :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

Antoobrien, you don't care about soccer in Galway. That's fine. But others do care. Let's not lose sight of that.

From a financial perspective, a professional or semi professional football club will create employment and attract visitors to Galway. That's why locally based companies have sponsored Galway United in the past (Radisson, Thermo King, Specsavers, Aer Arann and Supermac's spring to mind).

Many local politicians from various backgrounds were regulars at games. Michael D, Padraig Connelly, Billy Cameron, Nial McNeilus, Frank Fahy, etc (I've probably just discredited my points :0) )

I don't want to venture off topic but let's look at another sport. Basketball is a minority sport in Galway but there are people in Galway who earn money from it and kids who have learned about discipline and commitment from it and made life long friends from it. It's never been on my radar but fair play to those who are dedicated to it.

Soccer is no different.

Anyway, Galway United Supporters Trust are holding a public meeting next week. I haven't heard the date of venue yet but it should give us an insight as to the latest development with regard to Galway FC.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Sleephead

Just casually reading this....I'm amazed at how insecure and threatened GAA heads seem to be about Soccer!

• Advertisement

Antoobrien, you don't care about soccer in Galway. That's fine. But others do care. Let's not lose sight of that.

I'm not losing sight of it at all, I'm just attempting to put some perspective on the, well frankly, obscene amount of coverage that a failed organisation is getting, especially given the previous attendances of matches.
    From a financial perspective, a professional or semi professional football club will create employment and attract visitors to Galway. That's why locally based companies have sponsored Galway United in the past (Radisson, Thermo King, Specsavers, Aer Arann and Supermac's spring to mind).

Ah come on your really digging to the bottom of the bucket there with "attract visitors to Galway". Attendances of less than 1,000 really gives lie to that.

As for sponsorship, it's viewed as cheap advertising. Anyone flicking through the sentiel will see the Heaslip Cuddy logo on the sahltill devon womens team photo. The money Supermacs puts into Galway GAA buys them more advertising through photos of players and management than any mount of media advertising can buy.
    Many local politicians from various backgrounds were regulars at games. Michael D, Padraig Connelly, Billy Cameron, Nial McNeilus, Frank Fahy, etc (I've probably just discredited my points :0) )

It's okay I'll assume you're talking about the FG frank.:D
    Sleephead wrote: »
    Just casually reading this....I'm amazed at how insecure and threatened GAA heads seem to be about Soccer!

To be frank about it, the reaction of the soccer fans here makes for entertaining reading for anyone that doesn't have an interest in soccer and even some of those that do but have no love for (more so if they loathe) Galway utd. The snipes from certain posters shows where the real insecurity lies and it ain't with GAA (if I were that insecure I'd start telling you how many U6s regulalry show up to training in the two big city hurling clubs).

I'm going to make bens day now and leave you alone, but not without some predictions.

If they go ahead, Galway (Utd) FC will have an initial (curiosity) interest. There'll be somewhere between 2,000 & 5,000 through the gates for the first few matches, but after that it will fall off. Given the current following of the Galway clubs and previous following of Galway Utd, I'll be very surprised if the average attendance for the last 5 games is above 1,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

All the best to GUFC but let's take it to Soccer forum. The forum has restricted access and is mainly used by fans. The discussion there will focus more on the soccer and less on side issues.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement