Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LR3 Propshaft Gaitor - Achtung 101sean

• 15-04-2015 5:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭

Lads,

I have had the LR 3 (2005 I think) in the garage here and the guy told me I need a new prop shaft gaitor. He is a sound lad and said the if I ordered through him in LR to would cost me a fortune (if he can just get the gaitor which is a doubt)as they will ship it from the UK to Dubai and to the country I live in.

I have tried lrparts and a few others on the net and no joy.

I will be back in Dublin in two weeks and was wondering do any of you know where I could get one?

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

Will a suitably sized universal one not do perfectly fine? A fiver from any motorfactors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

Cheers for the reply. The guy in LR said he doesnt think so. As its holding in the grease/stuff and needs a good seal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

I've done some checking with the usual online suppliers and none of them list a gaiter and looking at the pictures of propshafts, they don't have one anyway. Is it the front or rear propshaft? The rear one has a carrier bearing part way along but the sliding joints look to have internal seals.

I'll try an find a parts catalogue later and check further. A whole GKN prophaft isn't that dear anyway

Just a thought, he didn't mean a driveshaft gaiter did he?

Are you on fb at all? The guys at Kings 4x4 and LR Services Straffan are on the Land Rover Owners Ireland group and would tell you straight off - https://www.facebook.com/groups/landroversireland/?fref=nf

Im just going on what the LR guy told me, I have confirmed that is the prop shaft by text. One of the guys I contacted kindly sent on a diagram which I have emailed to the LR guy to confirm.

I have also asked to become a member of that group on facebook. Thanks for that.

Next car is a toyota prado, Ive spent a mint on my LR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

Jude13 wrote: »
    Im just going on what the LR guy told me, I have confirmed that is the prop shaft by text. One of the guys I contacted kindly sent on a diagram which I have emailed to the LR guy to confirm.

I have also asked to become a member of that group on facebook. Thanks for that.

Next car is a toyota prado, Ive spent a mint on my LR

Sounds like bollox tbh. A universal boot is just that- universal. And a fiver. I think someone is running away with themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

Maybe in Dubai they call a driveshaft a prop shaft.

yUSo8x5.jpg

This mechanic must be right, gaitor on shaft alright, plenty universal factor gaitors to be got to do the job though.

This is what I just got from the guy.

I had received the pic below from Land rover Ireland, which the mechanic below refers to.

"You need the rubber boot that fits over the CV in the first picture. Land Rover do not list this as a loose part in their catalogues. I suggest you try Britpart or something."

Any idea where I would get this rubber boot (which he previously kept calling a gaitor)

LR3_zpssfvk4ld7.png

Front_zpsbc6hm9ym.jpg

The car in question

• Advertisement

No gaiter is listed anywhere for it. The only separate item available on there is the carrier bearing in the middle (the bit that's held on by bolt HS1).

http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/20651/3264/DA2395-CENTRE-BEARING-ASSY.html

That picture is of a Britpart one, best avoided although I suspect it could be a GKN one repackaged. The part no is TVB500360BRG
    and several places list it as GKN.

Read this item on the D3 forum, you may be better off with a new propshaft anyway http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic58033.html

I wish there was a crying icon. 101sean you're a legend.

I am moving country at the end of July and am not taking the car with me.

I am getting the radiator fixed, new gas struts for the bonnet and a new parking sensor fitted next week.

I have been quoted 440 euro for the prop shaft. Just not sure its worth doing.

Not too far out, £190 plus VAT plus delivery from Island 4x4 which equates to around €350 in total.

Unless it was clonking badly, I'd just put it back on and hope for the best!

No clunking at all. I had the car in for a service and they said there was a crack in the 'gaiter" and some of the grease may leak out.

The thing its I will be driving on a few 5 hour journeys to dubai in the coming months

I think it's a rubber donut holding the carrier bearing in rather than a gaiter. Reading through the D3 forum posts it's not that common and owners never seem to notice!

"You need the rubber boot that fits over the CV in the first picture. Land Rover do not list this as a loose part in their catalogues. I suggest you try Britpart or something."

Any idea where I would get this rubber boot (which he previously kept calling a gaitor)

I cant see any cv joint in the picture you put up there, did you make an error in putting up wrong picture?

Nope thats the one he mentioned.

Im at a bit of a loss now. Get a new prop shaft Im not sure I need.

Get a new prop shaft Im not sure I need.

New mechanic

Advertisement