Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

C-Max Wipers

Options
  • 04-03-2015 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭

I've just taken on a 2004 C-Max that has been sat up for a few months. One of the front wipers has stopped working. The single armed wiper (A in my picture) works fine but the double armed (B & C) will not work.

I pulled off the wipers and removed the scuttle tray to get a better look and see what was what.

wlNvxBZ.jpg

With the wipers removed, both A and B will turn in what I assume is their normal and correct movements. C doesn't move at all under power of the motor, is that right? It will move freely if I rotate it by hand.

My guess is that the turning of B should be enough to power the turning of C and thus both wipers work but this does not happen with the wiper arms attached.

Could a bent wiper arm be the cause of it not working correctly? This is the only thing I can think of.

Here's a link to a video I took of it in motion - https://www.dropbox.com/s/eb5fs2burx8409e/20150304_171811.mp4

I gave everything that moves a liberal spraying of GT7 lubricant but still the same result of just the single arm wiper working.

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

if i remember correctly 'C' is a pivot point for the passanger wiper to allow gerater coverage of the window. if the connecting arms are all in place amd havent fallen off and the spindle rotates when the wiperscare on then have a look at the teeth on the spindle, they may be worn away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

if i remember correctly 'C' is a pivot point for the passanger wiper to allow gerater coverage of the window. if the connecting arms are all in place amd havent fallen off and the spindle rotates when the wiperscare on then have a look at the teeth on the spindle, they may be worn away.

100%. Finally got my hands dirty again today and it was as you said. The spindle at 'B' had worn down and the arm wasn't gripped properly by it. A liberal dose of plumbing tape has sorted it out temporarily.

Thank you!

Advertisement