Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Small 4x4?

• 12-04-2015 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi I'm looking for some advice. Im searching for a 4x4. It wouldnt be doing much work just pulling a horsebox every other weekend with one small horse/pony. Other uses would just be short distances. I know a lot of people would pull horse boxes with cars but with the new regulations I dont fancy being caught out! Ive been looking at 2.2l Diesel Rav 4. Others also Grand Vitara, Kia sportage... I would rather it not be over 2.2l as my insurance will go through the roof because Im under 25. Id just like to know what you might think would be my best option as I havent really a clue! Im looking at cars in around 2007.

I would also consider a commercial as I have registered for a business name though have not registered for VAT yet. Any advice on this would also be helpful!!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

O.A.P wrote: »

a petrol subaru with 160,000 miles up....:) If it doesn't already have the hum in the bum, it must surely be close..also, peteril....I'd rather a daysul anyway..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭HarrietD

I have a Grand Vitara 1.9DDIS diesel 2006. I have owned it since 2008 and it is primarily my A to B car but I do use it occasionally to tow an Ifor Williams 505 horsebox with 1 small horse. I have had no trouble at all with it. I couldn't justify buying anything bigger which obviously would have superior towing capacity to it as I don't tow often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

a petrol subaru with 160,000 miles up....:) If it doesn't already have the hum in the bum, it must surely be close..also, peteril....I'd rather a daysul anyway..

Horses for courses or so it goes, a bit of pulling every second week and small mileage in between does not equal a diesel engine.
    A Subaru forester is one tough 4x4 and minded will last 3 or 4 times around the clock.
    The one I have linked to has a bit above average mileage, its just an alternative that's a little cheaper and if he finds a commercial one better again.
    I have a diesel 4x4 it works for me but I put the miles on it every week to make it viable, If I was in the OPs position a cheaper big petrol engine is what I would buy .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭bigroad

The best thing to do is get your maximum weights sorted.ex weight of horse/pony ,gvw weight of trailor.
    If you had a single horsebox and a small horse a good midsized car will do the job no problem.
    You dont need a 4x4 unless you will be going offroad or into slippy fields.
    A van would also be a good tow vehicle and could be an asset for your business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 lala_4711

Thanks everyone! Still finding it hard to decide! Ive heard other people saying theyve had trouble going up hills in smaller 2L 4x4s, I dont want to get caught out with that! I'll keep looking!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

The size of the engine should not matter when insuring commercially, didn't when I was under 25 anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

Dozer Dave wrote: »
    The size of the engine should not matter when insuring commercially, didn't when I was under 25 anyway.

Same here - it could have a V8 6l and it would be the same price.

Advertisement