Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toyota Yaris Diagnostic Code (P1346)

• 27-02-2015 9:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I bought a 2004 Toyota Yaris 1.3 Automatic last week,
    It had been sitting unused for a while and I'm just trying to get it ready for the NCT, booked for Friday next,
    The Engine Management light is on, I have a code scanner and it gives the code P1346.
    I looked it up online and I think it's the Crank Shaft Sensor but I'm not sure, any help appreciated.
    I went to a motor factors in Galway to ask and they said that
    "although the code might relate to the crank shaft sensor it is not likely to be that as the diagnostic tools seem to give this code to cover a whole load of possibility's"

This was not much help and leaves me more confused than ever as to how I'm supposed to it.

Has anyone got any advice what to do next ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

what they mean is it can either be a faulty sensor or the sensor is working correctly and picking up an issue with the crank shaft. Replace the sensor first and if the issue persists then the sensor is working correctly and you have an issue with your crankshaft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

P1346 = VVT sensor/camshaft position range performance problem.

This is uually means the variable valve timing is not behaveing as expected.

First thing is to make sure the engine oil level is not low. If it is then top up and clear the code and chances are it wont return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

dieselbug wrote: »
    P1346 = VVT sensor/camshaft position range performance problem.

This is uually means the variable valve timing is not behaveing as expected.

First thing is to make sure the engine oil level is not low. If it is then top up and clear the code and chances are it wont return.

I'm doing the oil, filters and plugs today so hopefully that will help.
    I'll clear the code after and hope it doesnt comes back

I did the service bits the other day and then reset the light,
    It came back on 2.5 miles done the road with code P1346, I reset it again a few times but it keeps coming on again.
    The car seems to be driving fine, do you think the crank shaft sensor need replacing ?

It's more likely to be the vvt unit I would expect. Ask your mechanic to check if it's working as it should.

The cam sensor is probably just telling what it see's. A garage with an oscilloscope would be able to diagnose it very quickly and accurately

• Advertisement

Thanks for your help so far dieselbug,
    Does it sound serious enough to stop Driving the car, also any idea of the cost to get it checked out as I want to get it sorted out but I'm broke right now,
    I have it booked in for the NCT on Friday and doing a few jobs for that, it's a matter of prioritizing things that need doing.
    Thanks

It's probably ok to keep driving presuming it is the timing unit.
    But it's better to get a definite diagnosis asap then at least you will know what the problem is and can plan accordinally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

With p1346 it's either the vvti gear or the ocv valve, valve is prity easy to test, also a fine filter just below the ocv,
    With this fault I've changed 80% of time vvti gear (€150+vat iirc) and about 20% of the time it's the ocv valve

PADRAIC.M wrote: »
    With p1346 it's either the vvti gear or the ocv valve, valve is prity easy to test, also a fine filter just below the ocv,
    With this fault I've changed 80% of time vvti gear (€150+vat iirc) and about 20% of the time it's the ocv valve

Thanks for this info, sorry for been a bit stupid but just to clarify

what your saying is it could be,
    1, the vvti gear at approx €150+vat, Is this a price for the part or part and labour "local mechanic" job
    or
    2, The ocv valve - any idea what this might cost and is it a drop in part or back to the mechanic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

No1. No that's just the price of the part
    No2. Think the were about €70,

I would recommend the check and the work of either job to be tackled by a mechanic.

• Advertisement

So I had the car in today at a garage and their opinion is that it's the timing belt that needs changing.
    The car is a 04 reg, 43800 miles/70000 Km. 1.3 with Automatic transmission.
    I just bought the car after it had been stood unused for 2 and a half years.
    I had the car in for the NCT yesterday and it passed so at least thats out the way.

They put it on the diagnostic machine and started listening to the timing chain,
    they took of the belt ? the one that goes around the pulleys so that there would be less noise and so they could hear if the chain was loose or rattled,
    Does this sound right ?

They didn't charge me anything today and are going to give me a quote on Monday as they could not get a price for the chain kit today.

Any thought

Advertisement