Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diesel Kia Rio bad mileage of a sudden

Options
  • 01-03-2015 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

I have a 2010 1.5 diesel kia rio and my mileage has dropped from 450 miles per tank to a disgusting 250 to 300 miles per tank. It has been happening for about 6weeks now. I have got it serviced since the problem started and all the filters changed etc but no improvement at all. I don't know anything about cars at all myself so any ideas as to what the potential problem could be? There is no loss of power or any smoke etc when driving. There is a tiny squeak lately when breaking at really slow speeds though I notice, thats about it really.
    Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Don't kia offer 7 year warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭The Belcher

visual wrote: »
    Don't kia offer 7 year warranty

They do, but major parts only. Also you have to keep getting the car serviced at a kia dealer to keep the warranty valid. I only got one service done where I bought it and was charged something along the lines of 220euro I think at the time and never returned again to them. Also I think you have to pay for any work to get your problem diagnosed so I'm not too keen to go near them for all of the above reasons.
    I'm beginning to wonder if my breaks could be sticking a bit and causing the problem. A work colleagues son has kia diagnostics so I might get him to plug it in and see if a fault comes up. I am not noticing any problems driving whatsoever bar terrible mileage and I am driving really carefully since the problem occured and got a service done. I'm clueless about cars, was just hoping someone here might have potential causes of the sudden drop in mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Please stop using "per tank" as a measurement. It is too inaccurate to be useful.

Fill it up until it clicks full
    Set trip meter to zero
    Drive it where you need to go

Light comes on and you fill it back up to full.
    Take note of how many miles/kilometres you have travelled.
    Take note of how many litres of fuel you had to buy.

Put those two numbers in here http://www.mpg-calculator.co.uk/
    This will tell you your actual mpg.

I was doing that, I am getting between 32 to 35 mpg the last few weeks. There was a time I was getting generally 46mpg and the odd occassion I got 50 to 52mpg. There is only 37000 miles of driving done on the car.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I was doing that, I am getting between 32 to 35 mpg the last few weeks. There was a time I was getting generally 46mpg and the odd occassion I got 50 to 52mpg. There is only 37000 miles of driving done on the car.

You getting your fuel in the same place?

• Advertisement

You getting your fuel in the same place?

Ya bar twice when it started to drop just to see if it made a difference, it didn't.
    I might get alad to take a look at the brakes incase there's a problem there. I have been reading online for over a week and came across a few Rios that had a problem with a break caliper that was the problem. Mine have a tiny squeak when stuck in traffic. (I am blind from reading kia forums last few days).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Feel the wheels after a journey to see if one is hot due to sticky brake, maybe you have a turbo waste gate stuck open or dodgy injector, brakes wouldn't normally cause that sort of fuel usage increase . If they were binding that bad you'd feel it on a slight decline going slow and the brakes stopped you without applying them.

Bigus wrote: »
    Feel the wheels after a journey to see if one is hot due to sticky brake, maybe you have a turbo waste gate stuck open or dodgy injector, brakes wouldn't normally cause that sort of fuel usage increase . If they were binding that bad you'd feel it on a slight decline going slow and the brakes stopped you without applying them.

Thanks Bigus, I'm probably clutching at straws but will follow your advice tomorrow evening after work. As a matter of interest would an injector or turbo problem appear as a fault if I got the guy I was on about to plug it into the diagnostics and see? (Excuses my stupidity on these matters)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,341 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I presume you checked the tyre pressure was correct in all tyres?

I presume you checked the tyre pressure was correct in all tyres?

I check it every 2weeks, 30psi I have in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

What brand of fuel???

Truckermal wrote: »
    What brand of fuel???

Corrib Oil

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

biko wrote: »
    Please stop using "per tank" as a measurement. It is too inaccurate to be useful.

Fill it up until it clicks full
    Set trip meter to zero
    Drive it where you need to go

Light comes on and you fill it back up to full.
    Take note of how many miles/kilometres you have travelled.
    Take note of how many litres of fuel you had to buy.

Put those two numbers in here http://www.mpg-calculator.co.uk/
    This will tell you your actual mpg.

How is the ops english inaccurate? Also what makes your strategy more accurate, a fill of a tank is a fill of a tank. Its fair to say the op is filling the tank at same levels i.e when light comes on or when its 1/8th full.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Corrib Oil

Next time wait until it's nearly empty and use a Maxol branded station and let us know if there is a difference. .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Thanks Bigus, I'm probably clutching at straws but will follow your advice tomorrow evening after work. As a matter of interest would an injector or turbo problem appear as a fault if I got the guy I was on about to plug it into the diagnostics and see? (Excuses my stupidity on these matters)

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Leydo10

Injectors could be leaking too much diesel into chamber. Do open throttle test and observe if excessive black smoke comes out exhaust. If it does it could be running rich and will also be starting to block your intake manifold...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

5 years old, and 37000 miles? Your not driving the car enough for a diesel car. I'll bet a good hot run would do wonders for it. Get it fully warmed and onto a motorway, and drive for about 10 minutes at 3.5k rpm.

Advertisement