Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring from WIT

Options
  • 25-08-2010 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Could someone please fill me in on the transfer policy.

For example can 1st years transfer? How is this done etc

The problem is I cant afford to move out. I cant afford a Deposit on accommodation and would struggle to live until this grant comes through (Ive asked many landlords if payment could be witheld until the grant to no avail)

So If I were to transfer on the first day? Is this possible?

My intended destination is Limerick where Id have to tough out long hours with no lifts but would get true.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Go to your local credit union? They should be able to help you out and I know a lot of people who have relied on the willingness of the Credit Union to lend money to get through college. Your grant should cover the rent and there's support services in the college (CHART) that can assist students who are under pressure financially.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Blueshooter

AdMMM wrote: »
    Go to your local credit union? They should be able to help you out and I know a lot of people who have relied on the willingness of the Credit Union to lend money to get through college. Your grant should cover the rent and there's support services in the college (CHART) that can assist students who are under pressure financially.

Due to the fact I am 17, then I cannot legally enter into a loan agreement.

My parents have bad credit and very little income. So Id have no way to start college

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Surely with a letter from the grant office the bank or credit union would help you out. How about the bus? I know it's a long journey but a weekly ticket isn't that expensive until you get the grant.

Surely with a letter from the grant office the bank or credit union would help you out. How about the bus? I know it's a long journey but a weekly ticket isn't that expensive until you get the grant.

I live in the country side. I could get the bus. Ill have to look into that option

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Whereabouts do you live? Is there a way for you to get to Waterford for 9am every morning? Exhaust all avenues before you think about transferring or deferring. It would be a shame if a student couldn't attend their course due to financial pressure and it also wouldn't reflect well on the supposed support services the college is meant to offer.

• Advertisement

AdMMM wrote: »
    Whereabouts do you live? Is there a way for you to get to Waterford for 9am every morning? Exhaust all avenues before you think about transferring or deferring. It would be a shame if a student couldn't attend their course due to financial pressure and it also wouldn't reflect well on the supposed support services the college is meant to offer.

I live in Cappamore in County Limerick. Closest bus route to waterford is 18 minutes drive. Limericks 3rd level institutions is a 25 minute drive. The extra minutes make it easier.

I really cannot attend. Unfortunately I may be stuck out for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭kob29

What course have you been offered? If you really cant attend this year you should look into related plc's closer to home for the year and this may help you even next year

kob29 wrote: »
    What course have you been offered? If you really cant attend this year you should look into related plc's closer to home for the year and this may help you even next year

Ive been offered, and accepted the Bachelor of Business honours at WIT. I was 60 points over it.

However I cannot attend anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭kob29

Have you looked into the vacant places in Tipperary Institute in Thurles in Business. It may be a lot more doable to travel from Cappamore to Thurles and possible even to move there as its fairly cheap compared to the cities.

kob29 wrote: »
    Have you looked into the vacant places in Tipperary Institute in Thurles in Business. It may be a lot more doable to travel from Cappamore to Thurles and possible even to move there as its fairly cheap compared to the cities.

Thanks for posting Kob. Ive never thought about Thurles. I will luck into that also.

• Advertisement

Just thought I'd post here and say I ended up repeating, finished a 4 year degree in UL and Im off working abroad. Happy endings n all

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Good man.

No pain no Gain. You will appreciate your earnings a lot more.

Advertisement