Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postage - forgot country

Options
  • 23-04-2014 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi guys,

As title might suggest I posted a letter yesterday and only occurred to me a few hours later that I hadnt put country (USA) on it. The guy in the post office gave me a receipt for international mail indicating United States of America and I paid for zone 4 etc but it doesnt say it on letter. I did write the rest in ie City and Postal Code...note this is standard post...

Anybody know might happen to the letter?

Cheers,

Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

It should get there but may be delayed if Sorting Office system can't determine country. May need user intervention.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Its not like its some weird address in another language for an unusual country. Should be fine.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

It'll go into the overseas sorting lot I suppose. As long as it's not going to somewhere like Dublin, Kentucky. Might wind up at the local KFC?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Where in the US is it going? A lot of towns and cities there take their name from European, specifically British place names. Hopefully someone interested sorting office will notice how much has been paid and it makes it to its rightful destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 powly

Its going to Las Vegas - but its actually Henderson NV on address. I mean looking at the letter I think most people would figure out it wants to go to USA but I was just wondering if an Post wouldnt send it because I forgot country...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

It should arrive maybe delayed a bit.

I've received all sorts of letters from ones posted from America to Dublin, United Kingdom to ones posted from Australia with just Co Dublin (No Ireland)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

powly wrote: »
    Its going to Las Vegas - but its actually Henderson NV on address. I mean looking at the letter I think most people would figure out it wants to go to USA but I was just wondering if an Post wouldnt send it because I forgot country...

I'd assume someone working for an post will cop that NV stands for Nevada. It'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Keith Richards has had fan mail delivered to him in Conneticut which just had Keith Richards The Rolling Stones England written on the envelope.
    But my husband had post here last week which the PO had gone to the trouble of putting a huge correction sticker on. Why? The end of the address said Co. Tipperary Tipperary.

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    Why? The end of the address said Co. Tipperary Tipperary.
    Was this the corrected address?

You can look up correct addresses on an posts site, some surprised me a lot.

They limit you to 5 searches per day for some weird reason.

http://correctaddress.anpost.ie/pages/Search.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

rubadub wrote: »
    Was this the corrected address?

You can look up correct addresses on an posts site, some surprised me a lot.

They limit you to 5 searches per day for some weird reason.

http://correctaddress.anpost.ie/pages/Search.aspx

No tipp tipp is how it was addressed. The PO had crossed out the second tipp and gone to the bother of puultting a big sticker on the envelope
    It was clear we weren't in Tipperary town because the town we do live in was clearly and correctly in the address.

• Advertisement

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    It was clear we weren't in Tipperary town because the town we do live in was clearly and correctly in the address.
    While people usually read an address from the top down I think postal workers read from the bottom up, so they might have not read the line with your correct town and thrown it in the tipp town pile.

Lots of people get annoyed at UK companies sending stuff with Eire in the address. This is usually some political or historical issue they have with it. But it is bad practice, as its going to be read by UK postal workers first who decide which country it should go to. If they are trying to be helpful then its the first bit of the address that should be in the destination countries language, as it would help postal workers when it lands there. Like if you were sending a letter to Mongolia you would not but the Mongolian for Mongolia down the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

OP the letter will be fine, might be delayed a day or so but that's about it. Mrs Byrne your postal address may be slightly different to your normal address.

Ie I live in a large parish not many people but covers a large area, so you have a situation where some members of the parish are covered by the Castlebar sorting office and some are covered by the Claremorris sorting office. Both houses in the same village but different postal address.

Advertisement