Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Undercharge

Options
  • 01-04-2014 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭

Hi All
    During the recent UPC price hikes i successfully managed to negotiate a "half price foor 12 months" deal which basically gives me €80 of services from UPC for €40 per month

I received in my bill today and it seems that they have forgotten to remove some of the previous discounts that were applied to my account.

As a result of the old and additional new discounts - my bill is now 25€

So the question is do i report this to UPC or not? Remember these are discounts (and not under charges on the account)

Given that they are discounts do UPC have the right to come back at me to re-pay these discounts if/when they discover they are being aplied to my account?

Any opinions appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

What would you do if you were overcharged?

Same applies if you were undercharged.

You shouldn't have to ask on here what the obvious right course of action is.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Put 15 schmekles away every month your undercharged, if they notice it after 6 months, and you've put away 90 quid, then it's a no harm no foul scenario.
    If they don't notice the error then you can buy a boat or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

mayordenis wrote: »
    you can buy a boat or whatever.

lol'd

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭geecee

Thanks for your replies all
    Just for clarity... my issue with "owning up" to UPC is that I know how useless they can be at sorting issues....
    My work colleague was double charged on his account 80 should have been reduced to 40 but instead they charged him 160!

They have subsequently refused to refund this money and offered him 2 months extension on his 40PM deal... but no refund on the overpaid subscription!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

geecee wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies all
    Just for clarity... my issue with "owning up" to UPC is that I know how useless they can be at sorting issues....
    My work colleague was double charged on his account 80 should have been reduced to 40 but instead they charged him 160!

They have subsequently refused to refund this money and offered him 2 months extension on his 40PM deal... but no refund on the overpaid subscription!

That is irrelevant to you or your situation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

say nothing to nobody and if they come looking for it refuse to pay and tell them you will stay on the 40 euro per month package contract for an extra 2 months to keep them happy. wats good for the goose.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Consider it will take them a few months to sort it out, probably with a 30~45min call each time. It would cost them less money in support costs if you don't ring them. or you could bill them for your time on the phone sorting it out.

I'm amazed at the excuses people will come up with to not do the right thing. Not sorting out an undercharge is tantamount to theft. It is unethical and unfair.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'm amazed at the excuses people will come up with to not do the right thing. Not sorting out an undercharge is tantamount to theft. It is unethical and unfair.

Funny isn't it,

But if UPC overcharged them by 1cent they'd be on here moaning like there's no tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

It's not theft if its UPC's mistake.

I would let them know however.

Sam Mac wrote: »
    It's not theft if its UPC's mistake.

I would let them know however.

Read what I said! "Tantamount to...."
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I don't know what people complaining about being over charged are being condescendingly sneered at. For many losing 50~100 extra a month unexpectedly is a real problem. UPC won't refund it, they drip it back in credit to your account. It may leave people short for something critical. UPC billing is a real mess. If you adjust it it can take months to get it sorted. even then you have to watch it in case it changes at random.

Its people obvious most people are treating this undercharge as a joke. Mainly because they've experience the symbolic billing themselves. Its blatantly obvious any error should be reported. Them actually fixing it is another story.

UPC have themselves to blame. Their system of discounts and plans, its neither transparent or simple. It must be a nightmare for the support staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Ints

Don't say nothing, all these company's overcharge you by errors one after one and then they need you to call them in several times to sort it out, no one will pay you for your time neither for mobile bill after that and there will be no refund for your worries all the time you spend telling them same story as new again and again and again. It took me 2 years to get online billing working with them, have called in 10ns of times and did spend hours and hours on phone to sort it out, have been without bills for most of that time and when i did ask them to send me paper bills they started to charge me for that even they new that's not my fault that i cant log in to their system.
    And they cant charge you latter on for something they undercharge before and if they do refuse to pay it.

Ints wrote: »
    Don't say nothing, all these company's overcharge you by errors one after one and then they need you to call them in several times to sort it out, no one will pay you for your time neither for mobile bill after that and there will be no refund for your worries all the time you spend telling them same story as new again and again and again. It took me 2 years to get online billing working with them, have called in 10ns of times and did spend hours and hours on phone to sort it out, have been without bills for most of that time and when i did ask them to send me paper bills they started to charge me for that even they new that's not my fault that i cant log in to their system.
    And they cant charge you latter on for something they undercharge before and if they do refuse to pay it.

Nonsense! Firstly it's the honest thing to do, and the ethical thing to do, to contact them and let them know. One call or one email or letter. Nothing more. But at least the right thing to do.

And they can certainly, legally, bill you later for an undercharge. Where did you get the impression that they couldn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

UPC overcharged me 20euro, I rang them, asked for it to be put onto next bill as credit, they said they can't do it....now in this day and age and a company like that how is it possible they can't do it...

If they can't put money onto someone's account in credit I doubt very much they can put an under charge in.

Advertisement