Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Civil Partnership is it really that Gay?

• 21-12-2012 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

Right I've being to 3 yep 4 Civil Partnerships, 1 was for a same sex couple, but yet I look at the RTE news, tonight you would think that every civil partnership I have attended was, for same sex couples, but what I have just pointed out, out of 4 of them 3 were opposite sex marriages, , eg Male and Female (hetrosexual)

What is the story with that misrepresentation ?

PS I'm delighted for all of the couples that want to spend their lifes together.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

Anal sex is it really just for gay men?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

No point in going to one of these civil ceremonies. You won't get drunk and ride the brides sister. You'll just end up coughing up an expensive gift and going home only half cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

godeas16 wrote: »
    Anal sex is it really just for gay men?

ah cum on guys

• Site Banned Posts: 385 ✭✭pontia

rte and most other media outlets have big numbers of homosexuals working for them,they put their own slant on the figures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Civil Partnerships are only for same sex couples. Maybe you attended Civil Marriages.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

ah cum on guys

can i but in :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Tis a bit gay if ya ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

pontia wrote: »
    rte and most other media outlets have big numbers of homosexuals working for them,they put their own slant on the figures

How many gay people work in RTÉ? What proportion of the workforce do they make up?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

Isnt that ryan tubridy guy gay.? His defo bi anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭jenniferalan

Right I've being to 3 yep 4 Civil Partnerships, 1 was for a same sex couple, but yet I look at the RTE news, tonight you would think that every civil partnership I have attended was, for same sex couples, but what I have just pointed out, out of 4 of them 3 were opposite sex marriages, , eg Male and Female (hetrosexual)

What is the story with that misrepresentation ?

PS I'm delighted for all of the couples that want to spend their lifes together.

Thinly veiled I was on RTE news thread. . .

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 385 ✭✭pontia

i did some work in rte years back,even then the rte workers used to call it fairyhouse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Thinly veiled I was on RTE news thread. . .

Wut?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

pontia wrote: »
    i did some work in rte years back,even then the rte workers used to call it fairyhouse

It's definitely full of the gays so, and they're using the broadcasting behemoth to push the gay agenda and make children into gays or something. Just switch on RTÉ 1 at any time and you'll see it in Nationwide, Oireachtais Report, Fair City et al.

You can't argue with that!!

How many gay people work in RTÉ? What proportion of the workforce do they make up?

Judging from kids TV around 150%.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

So is rte trying to gay us or make us catch gay?

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭GoldenLight

Civil Partnerships are only for same sex couples. Maybe you attended Civil Marriages.

Really and what is the difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

It's definitely full of the gays so, and they're using the broadcasting behemoth to push the gay agenda and make children into gays or something.

Sure that could be an activity for all the family on christmas day....while waiting for the turkey to cook, everyone could gather round and make a gay.

sfwcork wrote: »
    So is rte trying to gay us or make us catch gay?

Both, presumably. Certainly anyone who had to sit through the rose of tralee as a child may develop an adverse reaction to women that could haunt them forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Nodin wrote: »
    Sure that could be an activity for all the family on christmas day....while waiting for the turkey to cook, everyone could gather round and make a gay.

...and here's one I gay'd earlier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Struggling to think of the last gay character I saw on RTE...

• Advertisement

Didn't Miley come down with the gay at one stage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Didn't Miley come down with the gay at one stage?

No! He came in the hay.

Chucken wrote: »
    No! He came in the hay.

No, I was misrembering. He was never gone on Dick

Someone stated that civil parnership is different to civil marraige, I would like to know what the difference is, seen as I started a tread of everything being equal, I really would like to know the difference between one or the other, I can't see it. Please explain the difference of how I witnessed a loving partnership between two gay friends(both boyfriends) and my nephew and his then girlfriend, also my cousin and his then girlfriend. Each are as equally right to be married as each other, So over to you guys now

Someone stated that civil parnership is different to civil marraige, I would like to know what the difference is, seen as I started a tread of everything being equal, I really would like to know the difference between one or the other, I can't see it. Please explain the difference of how I witnessed a loving partnership between two gay friends(both boyfriends) and my nephew and his then girlfriend, also my cousin and his then girlfriend. Each are as equally right to be married as each other, So over to you guys now

You're confusing civil partnerships with a civil marriage. Civil partnerships are same sex only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

There are many legal differences between a Civil Partnership and a Civil Marriage.

http://www.marriagequality.ie/getinformed/marriage/faqs.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

It's an ecumenical matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭KDII

http://www.marriagequality.ie/learn/civilpartnershipbill.html

I'm on my phone but you will find a brief outline of the differences there.

While the wedding experience may seem the same, the actual marraige is far from it. Civil partnership is not equal to marraige unfortunately.

There are many legal differences between a Civil Partnership and a Civil Marriage.

That link being underlined makes the end of the URL look un-PC at first glance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

There are a few slight differences, mostly in the area of parenting. A same sex couple in a civil partnership can't adopt a child together, only one of the partners can. This can lead to difficulties, especially if they break up. A couple that are married can adopt the child together. There are also grey areas about how the constitution recognises the structure of the family, and it's at odds with European directives in some respects insofar as it considers a family unit to primarily be composed of opposite sex parents. If you read the ICCL/GLEN Know Your Rights handbook that was published today you'll see more comparisons.

If you meant is there a reason why they should be treated differently, then no, of course there isn't.

There are over 160 differences

http://www.marriagequality.ie/download/pdf/briefing_document_missing_pieces.pdf

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

griffdaddy wrote: »
    There are a few slight differences, mostly in the area of parenting. A same sex couple in a civil partnership can't adopt a child together, only one of the partners can. This can lead to difficulties, especially if they break up. A couple that are married can adopt the child together. There are also grey areas about how the constitution recognises the structure of the family, and it's at odds with European directives in some respects insofar as it considers a family unit to primarily be composed of opposite sex parents. If you read the ICCL/GLEN Know Your Rights handbook that was published today you'll see more comparisons.

If you meant is there a reason why they should be treated differently, then no, of course there isn't.

Thank you, I already knew that, and as you said it not " reason why they should be treated differently, then no, of course there isn't" but not "they" anyone that enters marriage/parntnership, try enforcing the law in relation to a heterosexual couple, in comarpision to homosexual couple

Thank you, I already knew that, and as you said it not " reason why they should be treated differently, then no, of course there isn't" but not "they" anyone that enters marriage/parntnership, try enforcing the law in relation to a heterosexual couple, in comarpision to homosexual couple

What? I don't understand what you are trying to say?

Terry Pratchet

Christ, you need to relax. No one is saying anything bad about The Gays. "They" is meant to mean partnerships, not people. Take a deep breath and stop assuming everyone apart from you is a hateful bigot.

What? I don't understand what you are trying to say?

That civil partnerships in the eyes of the law is that much different to civil marriage, infact they are equal, marriage is given by a church ( marriage is a scarument), the law asks you to witness this that is the civil parnership, that as a couple, a couple has, that is what is their marriage in the eyes of the law. My point, is (look at my OP) out of 4 weddings I've gone to 3 are hetrosexual, all where civil parnerships, So therefore it's not a gay thing, which the RTE stated it was.

Basically it was a non church event, but RTE seem to want to play it as a gay thing, that's what's wrong isn't it

• Advertisement

That civil partnerships in the eyes of the law is that much different to civil marriage, infact they are equal, marriage is given by a church ( marriage is a scarument), the law asks you to witness this that is the civil parnership, that as a couple, a couple has, that is what is their marriage in the eyes of the law. My point, is (look at my OP) out of 4 weddings I've gone to 3 are hetrosexual, all where civil parnerships, So therefore it's not a gay thing, which the RTE stated it was.

Basically it was a non church event, but RTE seem to want to play it as a gay thing, that's what wrong it isn't

Once again, a civil partnership is not a civil marriage. Have you read any of the links so far?

Isn't marriage about religion?

Not at all. A civil marriage is a marriage which takes place in a registry office or other non-church venue. Religious marriage is a ceremony followed by the signing of the civil marriage register, which is the legally binding part of the event. Because of religion's traditional role in sanctifying marriages and presiding over wedding ceremonies it is easy to think of marriage as a religious rite only, but this is not the case. It is vital to separate "legal marriage" in the secular, or civil sense, from "holy matrimony" in the religious, or spiritual sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,336 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Civil partnerships are same sex only.

Well that's just broad daylight discrimination, It's alright for gays to have civil partnership but straight people can't. Seriously, wft? One rule for us and one rule for them. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Pretty sure this fella's takin the piss, for anyone who hasn't noticed

Once again, a civil partnership is not a civil marriage. Have you read any of the links so far?

Yep I have actually, maybe read my OP post it's not all about being gay you know that JESUS wept, I talking about RTE, is Civil Partnership note exactly the same between hetro's and gay people, if not why am I going to so many weddings done outside of the church, by the way marriage is a scarument to the catholic church, not more, nothing less. :)

• Advertisement

Infact I know what the difference is, here I state it

a small film I made

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI2lDpkPV9o

Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVPJURWv1BM

Part 2

So yep I know what I'm talking about, when I asked the questions I knew the difference.

It dosen't mean you have the right to hammer my view point.

But not one of you asked, nor did I claim.

I just stated that every marriage stated (is a legal agreement) is consider equal in the eyes of the law, look at your consitution

Yep I have actually, maybe read my OP post it's not all about being gay you know that JESUS wept, I talking about RTE, is Civil Partnership note exactly the same between hetro's and gay people, if not why am I going to so many weddings done outside of the church, by the way marriage is a scarument to the catholic church, not more, nothing less. :)

Link to the RTÉ article/video please?

Just because a marriage takes place outside a church does not mean it is a Civil Partnership. A Civil Marriage can be held in a registry office or another approved location. And again, a Civil Partnership does not provide the same rights and protections as a Civil Marriage.

a small film I made

Part 1

Part 2

So yep I know what I'm talking about, when I asked the questions I knew the difference.

I just stated that every marriage stated (is a legal agreement) is consider equal in the eyes of the law, look at your consitution

I'd argue that seeing as you weren't aware of the difference between a civil marriage and a civil partnership (here), how did you make the videos?

a small film I made

Part 1

Part 2

I'm really struggling to understand what your point is at all in this thread is.

If you understand the differences between civil marriage and civil partnership is why do you keep saying there is no difference?

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I'm really struggling to understand what your point is at all in this thread is.

If you understand the differences between civil marriage and civil partnership is why do you keep saying there is no difference?

He's just trying to increase his Youtube hits. Admittedly, none of his questions make any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Tope

Honestly Goldenlight, you don't understand the difference at all. You seem to think that your straight friends and your gay friends had the same legal ceremony, but they didn't.

A Civil Ceremony, (i.e. a non-church marriage ceremony), is still a marriage, recognised by the state, exactly the same as a religious marriage, with all the same legal rights and benefits. Most of my friends have been married in Civil Ceremonies; they're completely as married in the eyes of the law as those who married in a church.
    A Civil Partnership however is NOT a marriage. Couples in a Civil Partnership get certain legal rights but nowhere near the same as married couples. They are NOT seen as "married" in the eyes of the state.
    Your straight friends whose Civil Ceremonies you attended are married. Unfortunately, your gay friends whose Civil Partnerships you attended are NOT married. They're not allowed to be married.

RTE are reporting an actual real issue for homosexual couples. I think you've completely misunderstood the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭anhedonia

Rbut what I have just pointed out, out of 4 of them 3 were opposite sex marriages, , eg Male and Female (hetrosexual)

Thanks for that example, was struggling to visualize it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

I think you'll find it's the sacrament of holy matrimony that is a catholic sacrament, it's not recognised by law, the bit in a church wedding that results in a legal union is that boring paper signy bit, the state can also officiate this, which is referred to as civil marriage, which is what you saw opposite sex couples do outside of church, it has been illustrated to you how this differs to civil partnership.

It's not difficult.

• Site Banned Posts: 107 ✭✭big_joe_joyce

Both, presumably. Certainly anyone who had to sit through the rose of tralee as a child may develop an adverse reaction to women that could haunt them forever.

are you serious , the women on the rose of tralee are too good to be true , not a shrill angry feminist in site

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I'm not saying anything but yer man that does the telly bingo or the lotto or whatever it is it the spitting image of Shirley Temple Bar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

I know a gay fella against gay marriage but for civil partnerships and all that Jazz. Thinks marriage is an old skool thing that should be left as it it is under its own merits.

Should I kill him?

• Advertisement
Advertisement