Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cans of Tesco own brand Cat food 19cent

Options
  • 04-11-2010 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭

Was in Tesco Roxborough branch (Limerick city) this evening and picked up some cans of their own brand Turkey and chicken cat food at 19 cent a 400g can. Stand to be corrected but think they are usually 59 cent a can. One drawback is best before date of 21st of November on tins which also leads me to believe it might be this store only possibly that have offer on to get rid of stock that was left lying around in store room.

I picked up enough cans to keep my cats fed till well after that date...I'm sure the best before date on a sealed can can't be too strict. If your cats are anything like mine all the little critters do is eat and sleep and then eat more so this will save me a few euro.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭turbobaby

Cheers, might pick up some of these bad boys for myself and my cat this weekend...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

And to think the students are saying they can't afford an increase in fees. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

ahem and just how many cats out of 10 do you think will eat that tesco own brand rubbish ? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Was in Tesco Roxborough branch (Limerick city) this evening and picked up some cans of their own brand Turkey and chicken cat food at 19 cent a 400g can. Stand to be corrected but think they are usually 59 cent a can. One drawback is best before date of 21st of November on tins which also leads me to believe it might be this store only possibly that have offer on to get rid of stock that was left lying around in store room.

I picked up enough cans to keep my cats fed till well after that date...I'm sure the best before date on a sealed can can't be too strict. If your cats are anything like mine all the little critters do is eat and sleep and then eat more so this will save me a few euro.

Thanks OP these will be great for 37 cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

Cans of beer?!?!? ..... oh wait, that says cat food :(

Thx anyway, I'll be sure to let my cat know about this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ShevY

reminds me of

0146.JPG

0147.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

And to think the students are saying they can't afford an increase in fees. :D

Ok, call me a bit slow in the uptake if you will but I fail to see what thats got to do with cheap tins of catfood;) Unless theres students out there eating catfood!!!
    ahem and just how many cats out of 10 do you think will eat that tesco own brand rubbish ? :)

Believe me they will eat it if they are hungry! Either that or you are totally spoiling your cats. Besides I think theres actully lower grade catfood out there tahn Tesco's brand, granted its not Wiskas though.
    donmeister wrote: »
    Thanks OP these will be great for 37 cats.

Rather you than me:eek:. I thought there was a good few outside my back door. Don't they just multiply like wildfire though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

One drawback is best before date of 21st of November on tins .

its for cats, for ....goodness....sake !

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

One drawback is best before date of 21st of November on tins which also leads me to believe it might be this store only possibly
    banchang wrote: »
    its for cats, for ....goodness....sake !
    Most (all?) canned food is sterilised, they heat it to 121C for several minutes so it should last pretty much indefinitely without going toxic. If it is toxic the cans will usually balloon out when the bacteria grows.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/manchester/4693520.stm

_41308572_chickentin300.jpg
    A man celebrated his golden wedding anniversary by eating a 50-year-old tin of chicken.

Les and Beryl Lailey, of Denton, Gtr Manchester, were given the chicken in a hamper on their wedding day in 1956.

Prof Eunice Taylor, a food safety expert at the University of Salford, said: "Canned food can last indefinitely if it has been sealed properly, although the normal shelf life is about six months.

"If it's done at high temperatures and under high pressure, then the process should create a tight vacuum.

"If anyone is going to eat old canned food, I would suggest they heat it thoroughly first of all, just in case to be extra safe."

In the 80's I never saw BB dates on tinned food, BB dates on cans are a more recent thing, and it is probably mainly marketing, i.e. they do not want old labels still in stores, or shops buying in bulk and having really old tatty faded labels on them.
    They probably will if there is nothing else. I have heard a few people saying "my cat only eats brand X", I wonder if they had a spoiled child who refused to eat only mars bars would they bow down and give into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

rubadub wrote: »
    They probably will if there is nothing else. I have heard a few people saying "my cat only eats brand X", I wonder if they had a spoiled child who refused to eat only mars bars would they bow down and give into them.

people who fuss over their pets (animals) usually use the animals as replacements for children :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭oneweb

Turkey and chicken cat
    Now we know where the scientific experiments end up...

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

"Now with more ash"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

rubadub wrote: »

don't worry it was a feeble attempt at some humour on my part.

perhaps i am showing my age by referring to the "8 out of 10 cats prefer.." adverts back in the 80's and 90's

when I was youngfla i really believed that "milky ways" wouldn't fill you up between meals ( as if they were made of air ) and hence didn't see the point in eating them ?

anyway I thought Cats were supposed to be hunters so technically you don't have to buy any food for them right ? you could always take them on a day trip up to St.teresas gardens...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

when I was youngfla i really believed that "milky ways" wouldn't fill you up between meals ( as if they were made of air ) and hence didn't see the point in eating them ?

Did you eat a mars a day too? :D

A mars was more expensive then than catfood now - even without taking inflation into account!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

anyway I thought Cats were supposed to be hunters so technically you don't have to buy any food for them right ?
    When I was a kid I got a few quid to mind the neighbours cat, he was a fluffy fat fancy cat and was on a leash in the garden and not let out when they were away at all. The little bastard was better fed than me, all top quality ready cooked salmon, cod & chicken fillets in little bags in the freezer for him. I was always planning on getting him some cheap ass catfood and eating his dinners myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭steo87

At present am a poor scummy student, so I must ask....

does this taste okay?

anyway I thought Cats were supposed to be hunters so technically you don't have to buy any food for them right ? you could always take them on a day trip up to St.teresas gardens...

I stand to be corrected but it has being said to me on two occassions that domesticated cats will only hunt for pleasure.

steo87 wrote: »
    does this taste okay?

Don't do it steo87:p

Very interesting bit of science there by the way rubadub. Still though don't think I could ever bring myself to eating food out of a tin thats over 50 years old all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

steo87 wrote: »
    At present am a poor scummy student, so I must ask....

does this taste okay?

Na i tried it im sticking to my noodles out of lidl :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I know some one, whose pussy will get a good stuffing tonight!:P

• Advertisement

^^ Haha, good one Gucky!!

Advertisement