Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suicide, where's the help?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Jigga wrote: »
    When I hear comments from the likes of Bertie Ahern and Jim McDaid it makes me just furious, imagine losing a loved one in such a way, I'm sure they would think twice before making an "off the cuff" remark that shows a complete lack of understanding again.

Christ I saw that Prime-Time episode tonight with clip of Bertie making that gaff. Could not believe he said that. My total lack of respect for him reached a new definition of total after I saw it. Disgraceful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Shin Bet

Hi Magic
    I think I know the person your talking about
    well I didnt know him but his brother
    It was a shock to us all when we found out about it
    you obiously knew them much better than us so on behalf of me and my work mates our condolonces

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Maybe to much for AF but here go's,

My best friend left this world by his own method almost 3 months ago.

This guy was life and soul of the party, never a bad word to say about anyone. Time for whoever who wanted to see him.

Yet, without warning, in the blink of an eye he is gone. no note, no warning, no answers.

I am left as are many people, looking for answers, looking at the scraps of last conversations, emails, text messages.....

I believe whatever demon he had he couldn’t deal with; he didn’t ask for help or let it be known he needed help.

I went through removal and funeral on auto pilot, being strong as I could yet breaking down unexpectedly.

2 weeks following his passing I decided to go to console.ie, to a support group and I have being going monthly since. I find it great and in some form hope my being there helps others.

FF you’re my best mate, I talk to you daily and until we meet again keep my high stool warm. DS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

As a young male, who has attempted suicide in the past, I would just like to echo what somebody said above. PIETA HOUSE (http://pieta.ie) in Lucan are a fantastic service. Please let your family members know about this over Christmas, especially young men. It's my belief that the biggest problem for anybody contemplating suicide is not the suicidal thoughts themselves, but the thought that they have nobody to talk to. Suicidal ideation should not be something to be ashamed or embarrassed about, and the more that families talk openly about it, the less of it we'll see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Jigga wrote: »
    I haven't read through the whole thread yet, sorry to hear about the Original poster's friend who committed suicide. Friend of mine did it last year few days before his birthday, his parents told me last year that they didn't feel like putting the Christmas tree up that year but did anyway. Its the worst way to lose anyone, fcukin tragic, and leaves the worst pain for those left behind. When I hear comments from the likes of Bertie Ahern and Jim McDaid it makes me just furious, imagine losing a loved one in such a way, I'm sure they would think twice before making an "off the cuff" remark that shows a complete lack of understanding again. Make sure you are there at this time of year for friends who have lost loved ones to suicide and sympathies to those that have.

What did they say?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Shin Bet wrote: »
    Hi Magic
    I think I know the person your talking about
    well I didnt know him but his brother
    It was a shock to us all when we found out about it
    you obiously knew them much better than us so on behalf of me and my work mates our condolonces
    He didn't have a brother, so sorry for the person you have to deal with.

Advertisement