Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shamrock Rovers FC Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It is the best Rovers jersey since 93-94 though :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

iregk wrote: »
    I'm leaving work in 5 mins and planning on heading to Tallaght Stadium (pass through on teh way home anyway) to pick up the new jersey. Just got a txt from a mate who's just got it, €75!!!!

Has anyone else been out there and is he for real?

I read that:

short-sleeve: 56.99
    long-sleeve: 64.99

And there are 50 limited edition shirts with the fans number '12' on the back, and LOI sleeve badges for 75.

Quite pricey, I agree.

Shirt is very nice. I might even get one. Only ever bought away and third because of my fear of looking like a Celtic fan from a distance. :)

Shamrock Rovers are set to strengthen their squad even further with the signing of Scottish defender Craig Sives on a free transfer.

The former Hearts, Partick Thistle and Queen of the South defender is currently on the injured list, but he is in Dublin receiving treatment from the Rovers’ medical team.

Hoops’ boss Michael O’Neill believes that the 22-year-old is just what he is looking for as he builds a side capable of cementing their place in the top division.

“Craig Sives has the sort of profile I am looking for, someone who was very close to playing in the SPL but for one reason or another never came through. He’s here at the moment but has a bit of a groin problem,” said O’Neill.

“We’ve excellent medical facilities which he is using and we are hoping to get him back to full fitness, have a look at his situation and perhaps have the opportunity to bring him in.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Is he a right full? We could use some cover there.

Is Maguire fit for the derby?

CiaranC wrote: »
    Is he a right full? We could use some cover there.

Is Maguire fit for the derby?

Know nothing about him. It says on his wikipedia page that he can play centre-half and right-full.

By the sound of the team news, Darragh hasn't had enough of a run-out yet? I'd love to see him back in, especially if Webb is doubtful.

I assume that the FAI sponsored club texts are a thing of the past. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

is the game versus Derry on the 28th still going ahead as it clashes with Ireland's game versus Georgia ?
    anyone else unable to access fai.ie at the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

syngindub wrote: »
    is the game versus Derry on the 28th still going ahead as it clashes with Ireland's game versus Georgia ?
    anyone else unable to access fai.ie at the moment?

That game is switched to the Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

cheers HW

Bohemian FC 2 - Shamrock Rovers FC 0 from SRFCTV

http://vimeo.com/3790935

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Derry City game is sold out. Think people are going to continue to struggle to get tickets until the second stand is opened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Great to hear, the final 200 tickets were sold out in under 10 minutes

Another full house to look forward to, happy days :)

Lad on the forum says 2500 season tickets have now been sold. :cool:

Will find out for sure at the AGM on Saturday.

Looks like the GAA Fuhrers are at it again http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2009/0325/1224243368096.html

They're terrified of Rovers in Tallaght :)

Hoops Hail Hyland
    Wednesday, 25 March 2009 13:48

Tallaght boxer Paddy Hyland will be a VIP guest of Shamrock Rovers at Friday’s sold out League of Ireland Premier Division game against Derry City at Tallaght Stadium.

The current holder of the IBA International Super Featherweight title, won on a points decision in Boston on March 14, Hyland is yet another recent example of Irish sporting success.

“We’re delighted to have Paddy as our special guest,” says Hoops’ Chairman, Jonathan Roche. “He is an inspiration to young people, particularly in the Tallaght area.

“He’s now the holder of a title that was previously won by Roberto Duran and Oscar Del la Hoya – it’s impressive that he’s now following in their footsteps and he has a great future.

“The fact that he’s a Tallaght native and also a Rovers’ fan adds to the shared sense of achievement. I know he’ll get a great reception from the full house on Friday.”

Roche is also keen to emphasise Shamrock Rovers’ belief in sporting ecumenism. “All sporting activity should be encouraged and no one code should consider itself above all others,” he says.

“What with Ireland’s bronze medals at the European Indoor Championships, Bernard Dunne and Paddy Hyland’s boxing triumphs, and Ireland’s grand slam, we’re living in exciting times.

“Sports people are an inspiration to the youth of Ireland – especially on an international level where we’re competing against the best. When they win it gives everyone a lift.

“At Shamrock Rovers, we’re looking forward to bringing European football to the area in years to come – they will be very special nights at Tallaght Stadium,” he adds

:pac: :pac:

• Advertisement

Now who on earth would they be addressing that to?

:P

To be honest, this latest bluster and bull**** from the GAA is aimed more at Fingal County Council as they pressure them to let them have the proposed new stadium at Morton Stadium - or rather to dilute the effect Sporting Fingal have on the local youth.

They must be terrified at the thought of the national team going to South Africa. The recent egg-ball and boxing successes too.

It's why it's dangerous to forget what they were trying to do in Tallaght. They'll be prepared to use not getting in fully to their advantage in future projects..

As was mentioned on the forum, it is a movement..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Looks like the GAA Fuhrers are at it again http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2009/0325/1224243368096.html

They're terrified of Rovers in Tallaght :)

And they're terrified of Sporting Franchise in Fingal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

fúcking cúnts.

Bigoted bastards.

Leave it lie for fúck sake.

Rednecked culchies, the bleedin' lot of them.

:mad::mad::mad:

SectionF wrote: »
    And they're terrified of Sporting Franchise in Fingal.

I'd be worried that the GAA will, as noted here already, use the you shafted us in Tallaght, give us a break now line.

Also a different sports minister and economy; add the reality that the Sporting Franchise case would be far less sexier: Tallaght was a fortuitous alignment of Rovers being a strong historical brand, our membership base, originally having the site, and the whole Tallaght vision (for want of a better word) - traditional rovers stomping ground, good infrastructure, near-city size, and the social make-up of the area.

Quite worrying for SF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Hope the GAA trample all over Fingal.

DSB wrote: »

I'd buy a SF season ticket before I'd side with the GAA on such a matter.

Fingal aren't one of us. I'd side with any of the other 20 LOI clubs, but not Fingal over anything. Hopefully they piss all over Fingal and drive them back into non-existence where they belong.

**** that. Im no fan of franchise, but Id side with any LOI club in the face of these bigoted scumbags.

Fingal may be many things, but if the GAA are sniffing around them, they're doing something support-able.

dfx- wrote: »
    Fingal may be many things, but if the GAA are sniffing around them, they're doing something support-able.

No the GAA just want to set a precedent and have things working in their favour I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Fingal aren't one of us. I'd side with any of the other 20 LOI clubs, but not Fingal over anything. Hopefully they piss all over Fingal and drive them back into non-existence where they belong.
    Call me uneducated but why aren't SF one one us?

I understand the sentiment, but it's a straight fight between football and GAA.

I'll support Franchise through this with gritted teeth even though it is sheer vandalism setting up a LoI club two miles from Bohs.

• Advertisement

Voltwad wrote: »
    Call me uneducated but why aren't SF one one us?

Fake club from a fake county for people who suddenly decided the League Of Ireland was appealing enough for them now that the name of a fake county 'which represented their area', despite their being another club just ten minutes up the road, and another few pretty close too.

I'll support Franchise through this with gritted teeth even though it is sheer vandalism setting up a LoI club two miles from Bohs.

Nah one casualty won't hurt. As long as it isn't 1 of the other 5 Dublin clubs. Fingal can die a fast yet painful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Nah one casualty won't hurt. As long as it isn't 1 of the other 5 Dublin clubs. Fingal can die a fast yet painful death.

Fully understand your stance DSB and indeed I'm no fan of SF either but I don't see this as a straight out get rid of them and sure who will care. I see this as more of a LOI -v- GAA stance and even though it is SF I think everyone should be behind them. If the Grab All Association win this then it will set a precedence.

Someone corrected on the blog that they think Fingal stadium plan is for Lusk, not Morton. I suppose that makes sense. Morton is a temporary home for SF, right?

Reading that article and I have to say I love this quote:

“We understand fully the difficult economic context in which we are operating, yet I want to emphasise again that the GAA is willing to participate in public multi-sport facilities throughout the country. The GAA will also continue to seek Government support for its own activities and investment programmes."

In other words, we want all football stadiums to be GAA stadiums as well but any GAA stadiums will just be for GAA. What a bunch of fcuking w4nkers.

Someone corrected on the blog that they think Fingal stadium plan is for Lusk, not Morton. I suppose that makes sense. Morton is a temporary home for SF, right?

I heard that it was Lusk too. Their wiki page says so too:

It has been announced that Fingal County Council will be building a new 3,000 all-seater stadium in Lusk County Fingal, along with state of the art training facilities. The Centre will be the new home of local team Lusk United FC' and also be available for use to other sports outside of Association Football.

Note highlighted text. I wonder who updated that. Like any football supporter would say Association Football. :)

iregk wrote: »
    In other words, we want all football stadiums to be GAA stadiums as well but any GAA stadiums will just be for GAA. What a bunch of fcuking w4nkers.

Thing is, they'll all be GAA stadiums if that shower of bigots get their way, there won't be a single football stadium left. Just look at the lack of atmosphere in Croke Park when Ireland are playing and how far fans are away from the action. GAA stadiums are unsuited to football, it's that simple.

The GAA are chasing the sporting equivelent of Liebensraum.

The GAA are chasing the sporting equivelent of Liebensraum.

Oh I completely agree with you. I was playing for Rovers when the building of the stadium kicked off so I know exactly what it was like and the hell we went through.

What it boils down to is the GAA being so sh!t scared of football getting a good foot in the door. They have been rocked by the reception Rovers have gotten from Tallaght and they are planning to stop this happening again.

Sigh.

Its gonna be a long season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭DvB

CiaranC wrote: »
    Sigh.

Its gonna be a long season.

With that defence, it certainly will:(
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Where do we start?

Its easy to say if Robbo had scored the pen we would have been two up and then for what ever reason he decided to pass rather than shoot when unmarked 12 yards out bearing down on the keeper. That could have been 3.

The fact is from what I saw and feel free to shoot me down but defensively we were lacking on Friday. Webb had a shocker and Madden was done for position a few times. Birmingham showed some good stuff and is finding his feet but lacks quite a bit of pace for my liking, was skint a few times.

The big problem for me though was the gap between midfield and defense. You could drive a jumbo jet through it. Bohs exposed it and Derry countered through it for the 2nd. Robbo was great against Sligo but has been outplayed since. Twigg and Baker are starting to link well but Baker needs to do more of his share, scoring or not!

McGuire is needed back in the heart of things and maybe it would be an idea to move Robbo to the right and put Bradley in the middle. Robbo in the last two games makes great forward runs but leaves huge gaps in behind him. I think Bradley would hold it better and Robbo could still make the runs, all be it from the right side of the park.

Turned full circle from a defensive mind last season (no goals against Cobh and 1 win in 9 against the relegation sides) to no defence this season?

Can't be as excruciating as last season was surely which was like a multiple car crash at times on the pitch..

Webb has definitely looked shaky. The crowd on Friday sounded like they're already close enough to getting on his back which won't help. We're Rovers, not Ireland supporters.

I thought Bradley looked isolated at times when wide. He's the kind of player that should be more in the heart of things, even behind Twigg if not in midfield. Robbo might have a better time wide. The pitch size should probably be utilized for better wing play.

As others have noted, the players seem to be running out of steam before the end of the games too. Something that will hopefully improve as the season goes on.

Interesting that MON told us on Saturday that Padraig is in his plans, albeit that at the moment he's not doing enough to shift Twigg and Baker.

Twigg definitely, but Baker...

Baker is scoring at the moment!

• Advertisement

Like you, I have severe doubts about Dessie, but he's scored in the last two home games. Until that dries up, I'd say he's a shoo-in.

Never fear, there's more than one front to fight them on..
    Wednesday April 01 2009

CASTLEMAINE sportsfield, which is at the centre of a bitter dispute between local GAA and soccer clubs, was ploughed on the instructions of the GAA before the weekend.

Following the nighttime ploughing of the sportsfield, which is regularly used by the local soccer club, a hole was dug in the middle of Milltown/ Castlemaine GAA pitch late on Saturday night, forcing an under-21 game to be moved to another venue on Sunday afternoon.

County GAA Board Chairman Jerome Conway confirmed to The Kerryman that the sportsfield, which is the home ground of Castlemaine United soccer club, was ploughed on instructions from the GAA on Thursday. Soccer goalposts standing in the middle of the field are the only remaining evidence of sporting exploits there.

While local groups dispute the GAA's claim to exclusive ownership of the sportsfield, Mr Conway insisted the board had acted within its rights. In October, Milltown/ Castlemaine GAA Club was granted planning permission to redevelop the pitch, erect floodlights and construct a car park and associated services, despite an application from the soccer club for leave of appeal.

"The property belongs to the GAA and there's no debate about ownership as there is documentation there," Mr Conway stated, adding: "Of course the field was ploughed by the GAA".

Asked why the actions had been carried out in darkness, Mr Conway said he was unsure.

"The long term objective is to develop the pitch properly as there is a slope on it. We have been given a directive by Croke Park to use the property according to the rules and that's what we are doing," he added.

The actions mean that local soccer club Castlemaine United are now without a home ground, despite having used the pitch since their inception two decades ago. The suspension of GAA's Rule 42, banning soccer from the association's pitches, does not apply outside Croke Park.

The newly-formed Castlemaine Community Sportsfield Action Group — representing local community groups including Castlemaine United AFC — are furious that the GAA has had the pitch ploughed.

The group argues that the sportsfield was originally handed over to the general community by the Spring Walker family in 1936, had always been a community field and had merely been placed in the trust of the GAA. They point to carnivals, community fairs, sheep shearing, dog shows, tennis and basketball events held in the sportsfield to support their claim.

At a fiery meeting hosted by the group in Castlemaine Community Centre on Monday night, plans were initiated for a community-wide petition condemning the GAA's actions, with possible protest also planned outside Kerry County Board offices.

"This is the greatest bit of scamping I've seen for a long time," one angry action group member stated.

"Our group has had to resort to blockading and chaining. We will cover the entrance with cars every night if we have to," chairman Charlie Boyle stated.

Others present at Monday's meeting claimed the actions were "an insult to the children of the community". "Our event in June has gone, as has the Easter camp here," one stated.

"It is now very cheeky of the GAA club to come over and do their lotto draw in our village," the group's assistant PRO Brendan O'Reilly added.

The community group is now planning to reseed the pitch and a call for locals to help remove stones from the ground will be made in the coming days.

The action group is to lodge a petition with the Circuit Court seeking an injunction restraining Milltown Castlemaine GAA club from further interference at the site.

Meanhile, former senior captain of Milltown Castlemaine GAA club and player manager of Castlemaine United AFC, Jason Giles expressed his dismay at the recent developments and has decided to take action: "I will not be renewing my membership with Milltown/ Castlemaine GAA, a club I've been a lifelong member of. It's nothing against the players but I've been given no choice following this."

- KEVIN HUGHES khughes@kerryman.ie

The audacity is extraordinary :eek:

Unreal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

rednecks.

How much longer are the grassroots going to turn a blind eye to this.

we'll probably get more of the same "ah shure, it's nuttin' t'dew wit me" :rolleyes:

boggers to the last

Every now and again, just to give the lie to the spin that they are now a progressive organization, the GAA shows its true colours.

• Advertisement
Advertisement