Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Same TV show on two different channels!

Options
  • 12-02-2009 1:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭

Does this bother anyone ? I've only got NTL/Cablelink, no fancy digital here -we're old school.

At the minute Scrubs (one of the most aired TV shows atm) is on both Paramount and E4 :mad:

Between 6 and 7PM The simpsons is on 3TV stations - Sky 1, RTE 2, Ch4.
    Same with friends, same with sex and the shi*ty city.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Can't say I am bothered by it. I barely watch live tv as it is. I don't think Channel 4 or Sky give two tosses about when RTÉ show the Simpsons. As for Paramount I wouldn't watch anything on it. They censor absolutely everything. "Oh no, someone will be offended by the word ass"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

If you're bothered, why not upgrade to a better package/ Sky Digital?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    As for Paramount I wouldn't watch anything on it. They censor absolutely everything. "Oh no, someone will be offended by the word [silence][/silence]"

Edited according to the Paramount standards... I miss the "bleep" too, whatever happened to that? Not only do they censor things but the sound just goes silent, which oddly I find even more annoying than a "bleep"... It's particularly noticeable in the middle of one of Dr. Coxs' speed rants...

And OP, yes it is very annoying (especially with the Simpsons, Scrubs and Friends) but I doubt any of the networks give a damn and will continue airing these over and over again until the end of time...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Watching Lost on RTE at the same time that it is on Sky saves valuable minutes with the shorter ad-breaks. I presume that both versions are identicle apart from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I know I have posted this up before but I think you will like it

Just because you have lots of channels doesn't mean you have choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Mod edit: Banned for 1 month.

Do not discuss ways to steal cable services.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Does this bother anyone ? I've only got NTL/Cablelink, no fancy digital here -we're old school.
    Pfft.. That's not old school. I've got the 4 Irish channels on terrestrial. Thats old school! Even so they still show more or less the same **** as eachother. Cornation st, eastenders and fairly ****y are all on at the same time, they all show sports at the same time.

TV is about as original as toenails, learn to live with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

4IRish channels ? Wow, I didn't think anyone with only the four channels were still alive :p

So tell me this, how come you don't get Channel 6/3E and do you want it?
    What are you going to do once the analogue signal is switched off - people having to pay a liscence fee and not even being able to recieve their RTE is a travesty

What are you going to do once the analogue signal is switched off - people having to pay a liscence fee and not even being able to recieve their RTE is a travesty

C6/3E is a cable/satellite only channel. Their licence with the BCI is for an entertainment channel and does cover 3E for Digital Terrestial TV, or Analogue Terrestrial TV. (Signals picked up via Ariel). 25% of the population only have Terrestrial TV (some of this 25% may pick up signals for BBC1, 2, UTV, ITV Walse, S4C and C4 depending on where they are in the country).

You will be able to get a STB for digital conversion if you don't want go for Sat/Cable.

For those not looking for pay TV your best option will be a Freesat/DTT (mpeg4) television if you plan buying a new TV. You will need to get a satellite to receive the Freesat channels which include all of the UK main DTT services and RTÉ Radio. FTA DTT and FTA Sat, however you will still not be able to recieve 3E as they couldn't possible afford to be unencrypted on Satellite.

Possible FTA PBS Irish channels include

IFB/BSÉ Film Channel and Oirechatas TV, while RTÉ have suggested RTÉ THREE (Arts and Docs) and RTÉ ONE +1.

plus the main 4 RTÉ ONE, RTÉ TWO, TV3 and TG4.

Boxer will provide a similar service to both Sky and UPC.

So to summarize - you can get RTE digitally (with a freeview box+dish) without having to pay Sky/UPC money ?

Grand, sorry, I'm behind the times and didn't think them freeviews boxes were for any other use than the you know what illegal activity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

downloading > watching tv shows on tv

Illegal and of no use to me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Irish Terrestrial TV stations are not available digitally on Free to Air ( Freeview is an Free to Air UK service)

So to summarize - you can get RTE digitally (with a freeview box+dish) without having to pay Sky/UPC money ?

Grand, sorry, I'm behind the times and didn't think them freeviews boxes were for any other use than the you know what illegal activity.

Freeview is only available in NI, its use in ROI is the same as getting reception for Analogue BBC1, 2, UTV and C4 IMO, I don't beleive it is Illegal. Also most of the channels on Freeview are available free on Satellite, stop paying your sky subscriptions and you will still have access to all of the BBC channels, ITV channels, C4 channels and Five's Channels, However you will need an arial to pick up RTÉ, TV3 and TG4 as they are not available on Satellite for Free.

RTÉ are currently running tests on MPEG4 digital services, you can receive these test but they are not rolled out fully. (Only RTÉ ONE, TWO, TV3 and TG4 are available on the Digital Tests).

The BCI (Broadcasting Commission of Ireland) have provided the licence for an Irish version of freeview to Boxer Ireland. www.boxer.ie They hope to start Digital broadcasts at the same time as the FTA channels in September, but this may have changed, AFAIK it has. 2012 is the analogue shutdown date.

You can get a TV that is DTT and Digital Satellite Ready. Note: the DTT must be MPEG 4 compatible and you will need a satellite to receive the free sat channels. You won't need a STB unless you want Setanta Sports or Sky Sports/Movies

When I said "illegal" I meant the dodgy boxes. The only reason people were buying them was to get the channels for free they'd otherwise have to pay .

4IRish channels ? Wow, I didn't think anyone with only the four channels were still alive :p

The main reason I don't have the other terrestrials is I lost me remote and the one I have won't tune the the tele in. I could get them otherwise.

I can watch allot of channel4 online though. I've never gotten around to getting the BBCs online.

ScumLord wrote: »
    The main reason I don't have the other terrestrials is I lost me remote and the one I have won't tune the the tele in. I could get them otherwise.

I can watch allot of channel4 online though. I've never gotten around to getting the BBCs online.

Ironically the latter is illegal and it isn't something we can talkabout here on boards. :(

When I said "illegal" I meant the dodgy boxes. The only reason people were buying them was to get the channels for free they'd otherwise have to pay .

There are illegal STBs which decode the UPC digital channels and this is illegal.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2008/1202/1228169325051.html

RTE, TV3 and TG4 are available via Digital FTA tests only otherwise its analogue or you pay, until Sept if that is still the date of launch.

BBC's online player can only be viewed if you're in the UK. Northern Ireland is of course in the UK. Despite BBC being available here (we get the NI feed) we're not allowed use it. It's very petty I think

BBC's online player can only be viewed if you're in the UK. Northern Ireland is of course in the UK. Despite BBC being available here (we get the NI feed) we're not allowed use it. It's very petty I think
    Indeed, I had always assumed the BBC was Britians way of apologising for that occupation thingie.

Interesting. I do applaud the BBC's politically correct stance. If only everyone else in the UK understood the differences between us and them and even the differen countries within the UK.

I just always get a bit peeved when they never show ROI weather, we've the same climate. We are hardly mentioned in their news unless it's the Ireland rugby team. Can't remember Ireland even being mentioned in World news.

I'm sort of contradicting myself - on one hand I agree with their strict definition but on the other in practical terms it's just a bit odd not being mentioned at all. It's like being black listed almost

• Advertisement

Interesting. I do applaud the BBC's politically correct stance. If only everyone else in the UK understood the differences between us and them and even the differen countries within the UK.

I just always get a bit peeved when they never show ROI weather, we've the same climate. We are hardly mentioned in their news unless it's the Ireland rugby team. Can't remember Ireland even being mentioned in World news.

I'm sort of contradicting myself - on one hand I agree with their strict definition but on the other in practical terms it's just a bit odd not being mentioned at all. It's like being black listed almost

Well their name doesn't suggest to much concern for being PC :D They should be called UKBC or BNIBC.

Sure you could say the same about Weather in denmark or the netherlands.

Ireland is in World news when something happens, did they not mention our general election? And Lehinan was on Newsnight their a few weeks ago AFAIK.

It is to do with rights eg RTÉ own the rights to EastEnders hence the BBC cann't provide it to ROI via the net, but they should insist that RTÉ provide the show online for ROI, in their contract and they should redirect Irish viewers to RTÉ's website.

I would like them to axe EastEnders.

UKBC or BNIBC would be gas! :p

I'd like Eastenders and it's whole cast axed permanently!!

lucylu wrote: »
    Irish Terrestrial TV stations are not available digitally on Free to Air ( Freeview is an Free to Air UK service)

I must be imagining the rugby match I am currently watching on RTÉ Two through FTA DTT.

What's DTT ? How exactly are you viewing your RTE ?Em, can you explain it in laymans terms please ?:o
    Have you a dish on your house and then a freeview box connected to your telly?

DTT stands for Digital Terrestrial Television. It is being rolled out slowly across the country but if you are within range of a transmitter which broadcasts it then you can watch.

I watch it with an aerial and no boxes are needed as my tv has it built in.

What's DTT ? How exactly are you viewing your RTE ?Em, can you explain it in laymans terms please ?:o
    Have you a dish on your house and then a freeview box connected to your telly?

Digital Terrestrial Television(DTT) is the digital transmission of television via traditional method e.g. "Rabbit Ears". The EU have suggested that all Analogue Terrestrial Transmissions are switched of by 2012 to make way for Digital Terrestrial Television. RTÉ Network Limited (RTENL) are currently running tests for MPEG4 DTT Transmissions, these transmission currently are only for RTÉ ONE, RTE TWO, TV3 and TG4 but ultimately their will be far more TV stations available Free-To-Air.

The BCI (Broadcasting Commission of Ireland) have given the job of providing commercial DTT to BOXER. Boxer will work with RTE NL to role out DTT in Ireland. Boxer plans to provide a similar pay service to UPC and Sky via DTT rather then Cable or Satellite. RTÉ have been provided with a Public Service Broadcasting transmission Multiplex to provide Free-to-air television, could could mean up to 4 new FTA channels.

It is suggested that RTÉ create 2 new service RTÉ THREE and RTÉ ONE +1, while IFB/BSÉ plan a Film Channel and Oirteachas TV is also planned. TV3 may wish to have 3e available free to air but it possibly won't meet the requirements.

I hope that this explains it for you I amn't really sure if I have done a good job.

So you're telly is "freeview ready" and you pick up the digital feed with an aerial ?
    Cool, cheers :)
    Desperately trying to get my head around it.

So you're telly is "freeview ready" and you pick up the digital feed with an aerial ?
    Cool, cheers :)
    Desperately trying to get my head around it.

"Freeview" is a company that is in charge of the UK's DTT role out. Your TV will need to be "BOXER" ready here. But you should use the term Digital Ready to avoid confusion.

www.freeview.co.uk
    www.boxer.ie

Cheers :)
    btw, Boxer sounds like a crap name :p

• Advertisement

Cheers :)
    btw, Boxer sounds like a crap name :p

Well they seem to have worked in Sweden and Denmark.

Other options where One Vision (a TV3 consortium) and Easy TV (an RTÉ consortium).

Radio stations will also be available on DTT.

Just to get back to the topic

Boxer
    A new way to watch the same show on different channels :)

Advertisement