Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wedding clobber

Options
  • 15-10-2014 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭

lads what would you wear to a wdding?

haven't been to one since I was a pup.

heading to the OH's cousin's wedding.

is a suit and tie fairly standard?
    is the suit jacket a bit much?better to stick to shirt and tie??

not sure what status quo is for this!

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

Suit and Tie would be my choice for a full wedding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

For a full wedding (church and afters)? Suit and tie. Absolutely.

For just a wedding afters? Less formal, but not descending into jeans territory. Suit jacket/blazer, shirt, tie is optional, chinos/slacks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 383 ✭✭Mike747

Get the best suit you can afford and get it tailored if necessary. Grey or navy are good colours. A men wearing a suit that fits well will turn heads.

And for the love of God button the jacket properly!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,303 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Mike747 wrote: »
    And for the love of God button the jacket properly!

What is properly?

Suit and tie all the way. Better to be over dressed than under dressed

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    What is properly?

Suit and tie all the way. Better to be over dressed than under dressed

Never, ever, close the bottom button of a 2 or 3 button jacket.

On a three button jacket, the middle button is only advisable to close, with the bottom advisable only in windy conditions ;)

• Advertisement

Always leave the bottom button undone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,303 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I heard that for a waistcoat but never a suit jacket. Most important imho is making sure the jacket fits properly. Looks desperate when a jacket is way too small with a big belly jutting out

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I heard that for a waistcoat but never a suit jacket. Most important imho is making sure the jacket fits properly. Looks desperate when a jacket is way too small with a big belly jutting out

Yeah the suit jacket should always have the bottom button undone. Button it and the jacket just doesn't look right. Google 'suits' and you'll notice the bottom button is always left undone. Or look at any fashion website for men.

Noted for future reference ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

Many will close the bottom button at a funeral. It's a nice touch where fashion statements aren't the order of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Reedsie wrote: »
    Many will close the bottom button at a funeral. It's a nice touch where fashion statements aren't the order of the day.

I assumed it was the only time those guys ever wore a suit and were none the wiser about the bottom button.

If it's out of respect I can appreciate that, though I don't see how it shows it. From a style perspective though - which is the focus of this thread I guess - it doesn't look right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

Sugar Free wrote: »
    I assumed it was the only time those guys ever wore a suit and were none the wiser about the bottom button.

Had never heard of the bottom-button thing myself. Years of looking like a clown that I can never get back :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Good advice on the buttons.

When I got married I went around all day inspecting people's suits to ensure they were buttoned properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

If buying a suit, always get it tailored.

No suit fits perfectly of the rack and that's by design. Suits are designed to be tailored.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

How much would you be looking at for cheapish suit that's still fairly good quality with tailoring?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

mackg wrote: »
    How much would you be looking at for cheapish suit that's still fairly good quality with tailoring?

People's idea of 'quality' will vary greatly. Imo, most guys I know just think any suit that isn't hanging off them is great without paying any attention to the material or visible construction.

For me, the baseline level is choosing a pure wool suit. M&S do good quality pure wool suits relative to their price. They start at 269E but often have sales online of 20% (sign up to their newsletter).

So you could get a decent suit for ~215E and keep about 30-40E aside for tailoring, depending on what you need done. The most common things I need altered are tapering of the trouser leg and shortening of the sleeve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Cool thanks I have one or two coming up soon and wasn't sure where to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I think the suit and tie thing is a bit naff, you can get away with nice shirt, jacket and trousers if you would prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Lux23 wrote: »
    I think the suit and tie thing is a bit naff, you can get away with nice shirt, jacket and trousers if you would prefer.

If anyone comes to my wedding without a tie they'll swiftly be evicted from the church/reception.

tbh, i've never seen anyone turn up at a wedding i've been to without a tie. Thankfully. Awful looking.

Slattsy wrote: »
    If anyone comes to my wedding without a tie they'll swiftly be evicted from the church/reception.

Personally I would not care less whether or not someone had a tie on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

skallywag wrote: »
    Personally I would not care less whether or not someone had a tie on.

But some people do, and unless you ask the groom/bride specifically it's better to be respectful of the formality and significance of the occasion and wear a suit and tie.

234 wrote: »
    But some people do, and unless you ask the groom/bride specifically it's better to be respectful of the formality and significance of the occasion and wear a suit and tie.

I see your point, and I would certainly never go to a wedding myself without a suit & tie.

I must say though that I have often encountered people at a wedding who look plain terrible in a tie, either because of the choice of tie itself, the way they are wearing it, or just the fact that they feel so uncomfortable in it and just have it on because of the expectation.

Putting myself in the bride and grooms shoes I would rather have someone at my wedding looking well & at ease with themselves in a respectful looking pants and shirt etc rather than someone looking just plain bad and ill at ease in a tie.

Though just my own personal opinion of course, I fully appreciate that some will expect a tie worn regardless come hell or high water.

jeez I would be happy that people paid me the compliment of turning up to my wedding rather than being overly concerned with what they are wearing. I am not that important that I needed everyone dressed to the nines

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭CantonasCollar

The wife's uncle and his son turned up to our wedding in jeans and a hoody. The 15 year old cousin wouldn't know any better but the 45 year old uncle is a pure t**t.

Suited and booted for weddings always.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Hazys wrote: »
    If buying a suit, always get it tailored.

No suit fits perfectly of the rack and that's by design. Suite are designed to be tailored.

I don't understand this and this advice is repeatedly given on this forum. I've never had a suit tailored apart from one in Dubai only because the tailoring came free with it. They all looked perfectly fine on me and fit perfectly. The Dubai tailored one looked no better than the others. If a suit jacket or trousers don't fit, I just try on the next size up or down. A lot of guys can wear off the rack suits and look great in them so I'm confused why people say they have to be tailored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

They would be very lucky.
    tbh, i've never seen anyone turn up at a wedding i've been to without a tie. Thankfully. Awful looking.
    Overweight men and young lads wearing suits and ties (most of which are also poorly fitted) is pretty awful looking imo and the epitome of pretentiousness. Not to mention the obligatory pint in hand which immediately reduces the occasion from what some like to consider a prestigious one to just another excuse for a piss up.

A well fitted suit and shirt sans tie looks far better and more casual and relaxed looking by the way.

You're not supposed to look casual at a wedding. It's an important event and a man should make sure he's dressed for it. If the tie bothers you that much you can take it off later.

The wife's uncle and his son turned up to our wedding in jeans and a hoody. The 15 year old cousin wouldn't know any better but the 45 year old uncle is a pure t**t.

Suited and booted for weddings always.

How did the uncle possibly think that was a good idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭893bet

I always wear a three piece suit. I find the jacket is rarely worn indoors and just a shirt and tie looks very plain on its own.

Waistcoat adds alot of class and makes a suit IMO. Would ever buy a suit without one.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,434 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement