Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Male Affection

Options
  • 03-02-2010 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭

I know it's a totally different culture, but when I was in South East Asia, I noticed a lot of the boys and men holding hands or linking arms or had their arms around each other as friends. (not boys & men with each other to clarify, just their mates/family of the same age group)
    What do you think of this? Have you ever felt that affection toward your friends or would you be afraid to be thought of as gay?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Living in the middle east its very common. Particularly amongst the Arab and the Indian communities. Not uncommon to see lads holding hands walking around and the like (Friends just to double clarify). Thought it a bit odd at first but soon accustomed to it.

I don't have any issue with it myself, no different to giving your mate a hug when your pissed (as is the norm at home) or the like, just these guys are much more open about friendship than we're used to back home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Jesus, all the lads in college that I hang out with are forever hugging each other when they meet up! I'm more traditional/conservative/misanthropic so I leave it at a handshake!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Hunging is pretty normal but 2 lads who are not romantically involved holding hands, that would be a bit weird.

Holding hands is something couples do. I know you'd see the odd group of girls holding hands walking around town but its still a bit weird if they are friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

It was quite common in previous generations of British /Irish boys around 9 to 11 years of age to show more physical affection with their pals ie, walking with arms around shoulders but then most young boys at that age are in the main , hetrosexual , not yet into puberty or discovering the opposite sex , and not programmed as such as to what is / isin't cool to do

Now, at same age, it might be seen as being quite ghey but we live in different times, with more peer pressures at much younger age than ever , although hugging on greeting your male pals is quite the norm .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

In france if you are really good mates with a guy you sorta touch cheeks off each other, customary to do it to any female friend or new acquaintance. Thought the place was full of gay guys but was soon set right. Did it once or twice to close male friends there, was no big deal really.

Comfortable with who I am, have no issue hugging a close male friend either if i've not seen em in aages. I think it tightens the bond

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I don't hug or any of that with anybody I know. The most would be a handshake, if even that. A short wave, or nod...or just making my eyebrows jump is enough for a greeting.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I don't hug or any of that with anybody I know. The most would be a handshake, if even that. A short wave, or nod...or just making my eyebrows jump is enough for a greeting.:pac:

So You dont even hug your old man when you see him... I do,,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I've no problems with hugging mates, and do it quite often. I would never hold hands with another fella, no matter how close we were, but then again, I wouldn't hold hands with close female mates either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

No problem hugging mates I havnt seen in a while,for regular mates it will either be a hand shake or a salute.
    Holding hands with another man though would be just too darn weird for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

It is commonplace in most cultures, although to what degree varies. Anglophone culture frowns upon it largely because any shows of affection with anyone were purged during the Victorian period, and are only slowly returning now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

So You dont even hug your old man when you see him... I do,,,,

Well, I did when I was a child...hugged both my parents, but he isn't alive anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

My old man or close male or female relatives would get a hug but q manly hug rather than a cuddle.

Usually, with close male friends there may be backslapping or firm handshakes. The handshake is a big thing with some of my friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I don't really see why I'd want to hug another man. Honestly anything beyond a handshake comes across as uncomfortable and a bit alien to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I'm partial to big bear manly hugs and have been known to kiss friends for who are comfortable with that sign of affection - though that does tend to be only gay friends.
    Arm around the shoulder only in a quick huggy way or when drunkenly chanting rugby songs in teh pub is still a common occurance for me.

But as for hand-holding, meh, perhaps if I lived where it was more socially accepted I'd get comfortable with it but here? No.

As a bit of a social experiment, or simply because I'm bored, I'm gonna hold hands with someone this weekend just to see how it feels and what kind of reaction we get...if I can find a willing partner. :o
    That could be an ice-breaker at a Beers! :D

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Will -set up a tatoos and piercing beers -OG is being very open minded just now who knows what might happen this weekend ;)

CDfm wrote: »
    Will -set up a tatoos and piercing beers -OG is being very open minded just now who knows what might happen this weekend ;)

Lets make it happen... I can see Will and OG strolling hand in hand down O'Connell St...

then going to get pierced together...

Lets make it happen... I can see Will and OG strolling hand in hand down O'Connell St...

then going to get pierced together...

This is good - and the piercings?

And a pair of handsomer friends you couldn't hope to meet. :)
    What could be nicer then strolling along a thouroughfare, shooting the breeze, commenting on life, peoplewatching and bonding with yer bud?
    I only hope he has a manly handhold and not one of those limp flacid wishywashy deadfish handholds.

Mind you, those Tattoo & Piercing folk tend to be a liberal bunch and they'd not see much amiss with two men holding hands. An AH Beers could be more of a challange. :rolleyes:

OldGoat wrote: »
    I only hope he has a manly handhold and not one of those limp flacid wishywashy deadfish handholds.

Will is a cod cad, and would probably slap your lady friends in the face upon meeting them for the first time! ;)

Will is a cod cad, and would probably slap your lady friends in the face upon meeting them for the first time! ;)
    :eek:
    I'd buy ringside seats for that event. Mrs.Goat has the username of 'Mis Treat' for a reason. :o

• Advertisement

He received a number of slaps back for it previously, when I witnessed such uncouth behaviour!

But at the time wasn't Will getting all spiritual and trying to get Karma

Haha, no this occured in that other place of spirits, Fibbers!

I've talked to some friends about this thread and the strongest reactions against the idea of handholding in public stems from the gay quarter. (NOTE: Very very small sample group here but I'll continue to ask over the next week or so)
    The queer contingent (their phrase not mine) seemed to think that handholding is their perogative and straight men should not be allowed to. :rolleyes:

The queer contingent (their phrase not mine) seemed to think that handholding is their perogative and straight men should not be allowed to. :rolleyes:

Who do they think they are -feminists?

:eek: Runs for cover

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Had an oul' sea change on physical contact with males after training in Thailand. They just don't consider touch being anything other than an affirmation of friendship.

In between rounds you'd get a rub down and if they thought you looked too hot they'd pull your shorts out and dump a load of water on your nethers. :D

Not sure I'd go as far as holding hands with a male friend myself. Had to hold myself back from battering some teenage gobsh*te on the street once who made a joke about myself and my son holding hands. He never held my hand again after it. :mad:

Equal rights? Sounds like they want special rights for some things! :rolleyes:
    Saying that, I don't think I've ever even seen my gay friends holding hands with someone in public, probably best to avoid the wrath of the angry hordes that would like to do away with 'that kind of thing'.
    Khannie wrote: »
    Not sure I'd go as far as holding hands with a male friend myself. Had to hold myself back from battering some teenage gobsh*te on the street once who made a joke about myself and my son holding hands. He never held my hand again after it. :mad:
    Ah man, that's bloody awful! :( Hope that... lout has to endure the same heartbreak when it comes to his turn to be a father.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I hug my male friends in greeting all the time, and sometimes kiss them on the cheek in the same context.

Obviously, I hug and kiss my son and hold his hand if we're out as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Reflector

I've talked to some friends about this thread and the strongest reactions against the idea of handholding in public stems from the gay quarter. (NOTE: Very very small sample group here but I'll continue to ask over the next week or so)

Oh please, are you serious, if it was normal to hold hands than sure gay guys could than walk down the street arm in arm without some little knacker pointing and calling you a fag.

Irish men are terrible when it comes to affection. I am the same as when my friends hug me I used to feel a bit weird. I think its nice and affirms friendships and it's not a sexual thing so no need to feel weird about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Well, I did when I was a child...hugged both my parents, but he isn't alive anymore.

sorry if i came accross brash or anything... i just ment it well. i dell like a DICK:o

Advertisement