Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Male Affection

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

If I ever do any hugging it would be if i was meeting someone I hadnt seen in awhile, (when my uncle comes over from England) or maybe at a family funeral!
    Thats about it really! Anything else seems exessive.

I remember watching a football match with a friend of a friend who was very touchy feely. When there was a goal he leapt up and started bear hugging us. I sat back down afterwards looking sheepish and stretching my shirt collar! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I have no problem with male on male hugging but I think hand-holding is a different thing in our culture. It's seen as a sign of affection rather than a sign of friendship and there's nothing wrong with that.

Different cultures have different boundaries for certain things. I don't think it necessarily makes a country more or less progressive, just different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

WindSock wrote: »
    I know it's a totally different culture, but when I was in South East Asia, I noticed a lot of the boys and men holding hands or linking arms or had their arms around each other as friends. (not boys & men with each other to clarify, just their mates/family of the same age group)
    What do you think of this? Have you ever felt that affection toward your friends or would you be afraid to be thought of as gay?

Lived in the south of Italy and its rude from a Man not to show affection to other men in the form of a Hug and kissing when you meet them. Its nothing to do with being gay, its culture and seen as such. At the beginning its really strange, in Ireland you pat a guy on the shoulder and thats as far as it goes, but in other countries is a big hug and kiss on 2 cheeks and to hold a guys arms is nothing strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

Khannie wrote: »
    Not sure I'd go as far as holding hands with a male friend myself. Had to hold myself back from battering some teenage gobsh*te on the street once who made a joke about myself and my son holding hands. He never held my hand again after it. :mad:

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

SeekUp wrote: »
    :(

funnily enough at 7 my son just stopped and we were crossing the road when he was 9 and his hand went out and he said it felt right sometimes

kids grow up

But it does make you want to get a bunch of people together and go to temple bar and throw rotten fruit at david mcsavage

• Advertisement
Advertisement